Element specific spelldmg got nerfed

I just logged on the PTR on my girlfriend's frostmage Tamyra (Sylvanas), and tried out several specs on the test dummies. I noticed critting lower than I used to and found that the frozen shadowweave gear got nerfed in it's spelldmg. The same goes for the frostdmg off-hand, and apparently for all specific dmg gear. Where there used to be 51 frost-spelldmg, now remains only 42 spellpower. As frostmage you could have just chosen the Spellfire set, to gain some crit instead of the stamina on Frozen Shadowweave. I sent a ticket to Blizzard about this, which is included at the bottom of the post. I know the coefficient for the spells didn't change, otherwise I'd be hitting higher. I think it's kinda weird they changed the element-specific spelldmg. Why can't we keep "frost spellpower" instead of the frost spelldmg that we have on Live? Tell me what you think.

Hi,
    I noticed that by the conversion to spellpower my gear, frozen shadowweave, got nerfed. Why is there less spellpower than there used to be? And why not just call it frostpower? Why did I have to choose between three seperate tailoring talents if they're all the same now? Like you probably know these sets don't come cheap, so I feel a bit ripped off. Hope you will still change this, but you probably won't. Had over 1k spelldmg in my gear now i lost over 60/80 spelldmg while gaining nothing in return. I know spellpower may not be the same, but as I used to crit round 3800 on a frostbolt i'm critting in the 3600s now.
    That's all,
    Bye

Re: Element specific spelldmg got nerfed

Most healing items of the same itemlevel are better than the spell school specific gear now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the mooncloth set had more spellpower than the frozen shadoweave sets.

*glee*

Edit: lol i just checked and it indeed is better for mages now
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=21871 vs http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=21875

Time to farm mooncloth, tailors. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Boblet
    This is probably just an early indication of them phasing out element specific spell damage on gear (and possibly enchants).
    im glad, since there werent any nature or holy damage-only enchants

however, they should adjust current itemization for this change... it was pretty stupid, that TK mail healing gloves were better at dpsing than t5 elemental gloves, even now, before 3.0 will come, and same for for example ZA haste dmg neck vs haste healing neck... hell, ppl would laugh, if they saw t5/t6 geared guys with healing items, but they are actually better, so... meh

Quote Originally Posted by Vk
    Most healing items of the same itemlevel are better than the spell school specific gear now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the mooncloth set had more spellpower than the frozen shadoweave sets.

*glee*

Edit: lol i just checked and it indeed is better for mages now
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=21871 vs http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=21875

Time to farm mooncloth, tailors. ;D
    Holy christ, how much serious bullshit is that?!

actually element specific gear was the nerf itself. not allowing you to do good damage with other elements properly. this way you can now spec properly into any spec with the same gear and even go "elementalist". I don't see it as a nerf at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    actually element specific gear was the nerf itself. not allowing you to do good damage with other elements properly. this way you can now spec properly into any spec with the same gear and even go "elementalist". I don't see it as a nerf at all.
    Well that's nice and all for ppl trying out to be elementalists, but I'm frost so I don't care if my fire dmg is lower, even if I get a free fireball. But like Vk said, it's downright ridiculous that PMC set has more spellpower. I've always thought this whole change to spellpower is stupid, but now that I've experienced it first hand, it is more clear than ever.

Ok, these issues are only here as long as the transition to WOTLK takes place, during which time all gear will have 'original' spellpower on it (ie. not healing converted to a spellpower value). But for now, it's stupid that the 81 healing enchant gives more spellpower (and thus also real dmg) than the 40 spelldmg enchant (43 vs 40). Same for the PMC set and apparently most of the high level healing gear. My holy paladin who normally had around 800 spelldmg (from healing) now has more spelldmg than my mage, over 1100. So I gained 300 spelldmg on my paladin and lost almost 80 on my mage.

EDIT: I found on Wowhead that element specific spellpower DOES exist, in the form of the Soulfrost and Sunfire enchants: http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=27982. So why nerf the gear that had element specific spelldmg?

btw, sprung to mind that this might have to be moved to the general forum?

Even with those nerfs, the sets retains their mindsets via set bonuses

FSW: Since it was more around Frost mages (high survivability) and warlocks (stacks stamina), they have far more survivability in it than the other two sets, and the set bonus helps you stay alive.

Mooncloth: More centered around mana regen, with good stats, but no stamina making this Glass cannon

Spellfire: The Glass Cannon set, previously more around Fire and Arcane, which were the higher damaging mage specs, The slightly lower damage on hit than mooncloth is compensated by Spell crit and the Set bonus.

As to what ive seen in all caster gear in wotlk, mindsets are more in touch with this ("Healer" items have more spellpower, while "DPS" ones have Crit/Hit)

But in any cases, now its just about how you want your stuff itemized (more damage, more spirit, or if you prefer to stack crit), no such thing as "Healer" and "DPS" caster items now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.