and make RF = Defensive stance

Re: Prot not so great on PTR

Quote Originally Posted by burningcacti
    I am wishing for a single target taunt for the 11 point talent
    and make RF = Defensive stance
    and not Purgeable.

p.s. blue post:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The fact that 3 of the tank classes are having trouble being uncrittable by Naxx is something we're look into.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    and not Purgeable.

p.s. blue post:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The fact that 3 of the tank classes are having trouble being uncrittable by Naxx is something we're look into.
    im gonna take a wild guess and say the only one doing it is the feral druid.
    3 tp no need for defense.....lol
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

I'm glad that Blizzard cares about the little things...

yea i was kinda sad when i had to throw def gems in some of my t6 at lvl 75
    but im sure it will be changed soon

Quote Originally Posted by burningcacti
    yea i was kinda sad when i had to throw def gems in some of my t6 at lvl 75
    but im sure it will be changed soon

ouch

If you guys were in the beta, you'd realize you have nothing to worry about.

I play a Protadin in live and I'm in the process of clearing Naxx for real tank gear in the beta premades.

I think my only concern is that we lack any kind of cooldown for extra mitigation, no last stand, no shield wall, nothing, it makes me sad.

That said, we're doing insane dps right now.. which will be nerfed no question, but it's fun while it lasts.

Don't even bother with a caster weapon, it's just not worth it unless you find a caster weapon with Str, Stam, High damage, and spell power.

Now that would be a Wotlk prot pally weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Slizarus
    If you guys were in the beta, you'd realize you have nothing to worry about.

I play a Protadin in live and I'm in the process of clearing Naxx for real tank gear in the beta premades.

I think my only concern is that we lack any kind of cooldown for extra mitigation, no last stand, no shield wall, nothing, it makes me sad.

That said, we're doing insane dps right now.. which will be nerfed no question, but it's fun while it lasts.

Don't even bother with a caster weapon, it's just not worth it unless you find a caster weapon with Str, Stam, High damage, and spell power.

Now that would be a Wotlk prot pally weapon.
    what are your stats right now? with your current gear?

Slizarus, doesn't Devine protection now work like a shield wall?

50% Mitigation for 12 seconds on a 5 minute cooldown
    >:7

Full Bloggage: - http://nuronv.wordpress.com
    Micro Blogs: - http://twitter.com/nuron_v

that would be amazing if they changed the mechanics of it to work like that, i would have to change my spec to include that dmg redirect

Quote Originally Posted by Nuronv
    Slizarus, doesn't Devine protection now work like a shield wall?

50% Mitigation for 12 seconds on a 5 minute cooldown
    yes thats how it works

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

To sole this weapon dispute that seems to arise. do the following.

MACRO IN A TANK WEAPON WHEN YOU USE HoTR and ShoR, then have it move back out. Use the spell damage weapon for the others.

Yea MACROS

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account

swapping weapons causes global cooldown, thus slowing your rotation and hurting your threat more than just using a tank/dps weapon. spell damage weapons are out the door with LK. the sooner you open your mode of thinking to the possibility, the sooner you will be enjoying your tanking. consecration is something that is only used with there are more than 4 mobs anymore. HotR and ShoR and Judge take care of at least 4 mobs without worrying about people getting even half of the threat you pump out. embrace the change, let the pansy spell damage weapon go, and be a friggin tank.

Quote Originally Posted by takainig
    that would be amazing if they changed the mechanics of it to work like that, i would have to change my spec to include that dmg redirect
    that 50% damage reduction is not for Divine Shield wich (with talents) redirects damage to you while you're immune.

It's for Divine Protection, the older version of your DS wich you got loooong ago

so i transfered my char to PTR, learned the talents and skills... then I tried a few things.

1)Killing a bunch of lvl 68-ish mobs at same time:
    We could do fine before but it took us a while, now it was alot faster with hammer of the righteous. seal of corruption procs with hammer of the righeous also added to the extra damage that mobs, other than your target, were getting.

2)Raid Tanking:
    it was a quick pug run on PTR in black temple just to see if I could "viably" tank still. Our mitigation went down the drain now that we lost all that defense from talents. I'm gonna have to get rid of all my Stam gems and get Def gems if i want to be a Viable Tank in 3.0 before WotLK comes out. with the nerf to our Stam talent i don't really need to tell you guys how bad of a nerf this is getting to be...

3)PVP? lol...
    so I used to carry the flag in WSG, protect nodes in AB/EotS, hold bunkers and tank Vandar in AV. Now I can't really do any of that. i know alot of classes had their dps increased enormously but my survivability went down so much... I LOST 1V1 TO A FREKIN ROGUE... i was barely mitigating anything and the rogue's damage output was insane.

what I don't like about us on PTR:

even though our +Spell Power has gone up due to the talent I don't see any difference in damage with concecrate or judgements. Hammer of the righteous does crap damage with a caster weapon and the only non caster weapon i had was the tanking blue wep i bought from Sunwell Isle rep vendor and that increased the damage but not enough. I can't really test the worth of that skill unless I had a good wep from like BT or SW. I also know Shield of righousness will be a big boost at lvl 75 but as it stands at lvl 70 we are pretty bad.

We still need a new 11pt Prot talent and a few other changes in general to help our viability. thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the extra Spellpower and improved Devotion aura help alot with self healing like if you bubble and heal yourself when soloing.
    I've heard nothing but good things from peeps on PTR, even ran a pug BT with a prot pally MT who did excellent. Maybe you are just so used to your style of tanking and that you are having a hard time adjusting. He seemed to have the changes down and did excellent, perfectly viable MT.

i know it's not done I wanted comments on the current talents and what we would do at live 3.0 if it did stay this way.

I also know we should get a new 11pt Talent to replace Kings.
    I wonder if the 11 pointer will be something to specifically buff HoJ, SoJ, JoJ, or if it will be our new single target taunt ability.

In any event, you said you had trouble raid-tanking due to mitigation, were you using an offensive seal? You were probably Judging Light, if your threat was high enough, had you considered using Light as your Seal as well? The healing provided is nothing to scoff at, with Reckoning, HotR, and your Auto-Attack swings. If your threat without a Holy Damage seal is high enough, it might be worth looking into so that even though your mitigation and stamina are lower than other tank's, you're providing enough self-healing to compensate.

I dont think it's a guarantee, I'm Ret, after all, and haven't tanked anything past heroics, but something worth trying, I know that with Divine Storm/CS and AA, the healing provided with SoL/JoL can be pretty impressive, I can only imagine that using a 1-handed weapon with Reckoning going, it'd be sooooo much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by meroko
    I've heard nothing but good things from peeps on PTR, even ran a pug BT with a prot pally MT who did excellent. Maybe you are just so used to your style of tanking and that you are having a hard time adjusting. He seemed to have the changes down and did excellent, perfectly viable MT.
    I was not refereing to Threat generation as it is now Out the roof and have no problems with it. My problems are with Un-Crittability only. it is possible on hard hitting bosses, such as Supremus' hateful strikes, that you can get Crit and instantly die. And it's also true that healing was also buffed so a smaller crit might go by un-noticed, but it is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by PalliesThrowStuff
    In any event, you said you had trouble raid-tanking due to mitigation, were you using an offensive seal? You were probably Judging Light, if your threat was high enough, had you considered using Light as your Seal as well? The healing provided is nothing to scoff at, with Reckoning, HotR, and your Auto-Attack swings. If your threat without a Holy Damage seal is high enough, it might be worth looking into so that even though your mitigation and stamina are lower than other tank's, you're providing enough self-healing to compensate.
    a seal of light proc will not save my life after being crit... sure it might help if its a small crit and I didn't die but the healers also got buffed and that won't be an issue. my choice of seals have nothing to do with it.

I don't know, my pally in ZA/kara/badge gear is uncritable even with all sta gems. (yes on PTR) I've enver even had the defense talent.

how can you have 490 defense in kara/badge/ZA gear. Are you using Def trinkets, or Stam trinkets? (and i mean on PTR of course)

My problems are with Un-Crittability only. it is possible on hard hitting bosses, such as Supremus' hateful strikes, that you can get Crit and instantly die.
    If you can be crit you shouldn't be in BT. Or any other raid for that matter. The loss of the defense on the anticipation talent will hurt a lot of pre t6 geared warriors and pallies, but there is plenty of other options to make up for the loss in defense. Reenchanting, regemming, using older def gear that may be banked, using a tanking sword, buying badge gear with higher def. The loss of some stamina will hurt, but not drastically.

how can you have 490 defense in kara/badge/ZA gear. Are you using Def trinkets, or Stam trinkets? (and i mean on PTR of course)
    You do realize that if you get enough blocking+parry+dodge+(their normal miss chance) you will push CRITS out of the hit table (just as you are used to push CRUSH out of the hit table in tBC).

Paladins are the only tank that can push crits out of the table like this in a controled manner, since we can have blocking up 24/7...

edit: Yes, without getting 490 defense (or any defense at all really).