Thread: shockadin why?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: shockadin why?

cause its fun if you enjoy the spec..
    simple enough..

why would I want to play a spec I dont enjoy (on an alt) in a game I play for fun ?

I've never played a shockadin on live, but I definitely tried it out on murmur just because I could.

Here's what I have to say about it:
    Shockadins are very balanced, I was sitting at 15khp, 15kmp
    Shockadins are healers that are impossible to run out of mana, even with 2/3 JotW I found myself getting 20% mp back VERY often
    Shockadins can put out some amazing instant cast heals, I keep sacred shield up and have a good 90% chance to crit with FoL which nets me a 3900 heal or I can crit with HL and get a 13k heal off
    Shockadins crit a LOT. With absolutely no crit gear on I had a 29% chance to crit with holy shock. Imagine how high I can get that with crit gear, now imagine how many instant cast heals I could get off if I had 40-45% crit? (super easy in raid buffs + crit gear) Now imagine never running out of mana and getting all these instant casts.
    Shockadins do a respectable amount of damage. I ran every lvl 80 instance and all of the available heroics and my groups didn't even know I wasn't a DPS spec until I showed them the healing charts. I was able to maintain 2nd or 3rd on the DPS chart the whole way through.
    Shockadins are healers first, but even when healing can put out respectable amounts of damage due to needing to judge for mana.
    Shockadins are the perfect "Off-Healer", if your not sure if you can handle that 10 man with 2 healers, take a shockadin, they can do a lot of damage and still pump out those instant heals to save your ass.
    Shockadins are the most resilient class/spec in the game currently. I purposefully went around and tried to kill all current world elite mobs. The only one I had a hard time killing was Thrym in Zul'Drak, but I still killed him.

My numbers:
    FoL: 2500 hit, 3900 crit, able to get 90% crit chance on FoL due to sacred shield + crit gear
    HL: 8500 hit, 13500 crit
    Shock: 4000 hit, 6000 crit (heal), 2500 hit, 4000 crit (dps)
    Vengeance: was ticking for a good 400-600
    Judgement: 1500 hit, 2200 crit
    Sacred Shield: 900 hit, 2000 crit - could have gotten this higher with a BV trink and a BV libram
    Consecrate: 280 ticks

When doing damage I never honestly even felt like a healer, I could grind through mobs really fast and at 100% efficiency, even if they were elite, group elite, boss elite, didn't matter - I always ended at 100% hp, 100% mp.

I must say this again, I've never played a shockadin on live, and I don't intend to ever play one, but from the way it felt in the beta patch 8926, the shockadin spec to ME felt the closest I've ever felt to what I believe is a real paladin. In the thick of combat smiting his enemies with divine power whilst healing his allies with the light, all the while being a really stubborn mother fucker to take down, I simply couldn't die.

Anywho, flame me for all you want, I found the spec fun, try it before you knock it.

PS: I used something along the lines of -> this build
    I did notice that art of war seems to be procing on more than just judgement, divine storm, crusader strike. Seemed to me it also proc'd on seal procs or something to do with seal of corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Huji
    You can't go into the Ret tree and not get Conviction...For Healadins or Shockadins.

5% crit to all attacks/spells.
    Damn, how could I forgot :]
    That's 22% talented only HS crit then.

Shockadins are anything but dead or pointless.

With Shock on a 6 second cooldown, healing and spell DPS gear for Paladins being identical (We use crit for mana efficiency, less wasted stats, yay us!), they dont even need to specialize their spec to be a Shockadin, same gear, same talents, and they can put out respectable numbers.

What's going to be the new "Shockadin" is the infinite mana partial JotW Holy/Ret Paladin, who has some nice damage talents, but relies on Holy Shock instead of Crusader Strike so they can fight effectively from ranged, similar damage, same cooldown. Similar Judgements, the option to ShotR if an opponent get's close, but I have a feeling they'll kite with JoJ and PoJ.

I'm much more interested, however, in E4E/Ret Aura/Reckoning/SoB/20 second HoJ Paladins, and the potential effects of Divine Guardian/Hand of Sacrifice with it.

If you take damage via HoS/Divine Guardian, do they trigger Ret/E4E damage? Maybe Reckoning?

I allways liked the shockadin, got to 1980 rating in 3v3 in s2. Very fun playstile and utility to group. My team was Me/mage/lock

its very nice to see you do 30k dmg and 40k healing in the same match.

I didn't play a traditional shockadin, but I did play one focusing on spelldamage rather then healing/physical stats. SoR as major damage source, and good heals. Should work a lot better now, though I agree the new Ret will probably work even better.

Quote Originally Posted by UnethicaI
    I am excited about the changes for Ret Pallies, its just not my playstyle.
    I am very excited about the new abilies for a Shockadin. 30 yard Judgements beign one of my favorites. You ever been kited to death by a paladin shocking you and keeping you slowed 20-30 yards out from him.
    This... is why I am almost considering grinding up Lamellar gear before Wrath.
    "My rage bar is blue, and I start the fight pissed!" - Battlecry of the Ret Paladin.
    "The best defense is a good offense." - Motto of the Ret Paladin.
    River Below - Billy Talent - Theme Song of the Ret Paladin.

DK Death Strike Tanking
    The Power of Avoidance! - DK Tank Required Reading
    DK AP Coefficients
    DK Threat Values

Aurich von Deathstrike

Currently there is no point to go Shockadin, because SP-Ret is superior in every way. Unless there are changes made to Ret, being Ret in pure healing gear will be superior to going with a 'Shock' spec. Yes, people can kite you, but they can't kill you while kiting you. As a Shockadin you get oomed by virtually everything.

On top of this if you stay offensive, which is absolutely required to do well as a Shockadin, you'll oom yourself by attacking anyway. Compare to SP-Ret being able to camp kiters and spam Holy Light for a SoL proc, then run in. No class can keep you away 100% of the time and as long as you can stay close for 2 Judgements, you can proceed to fill your mana back up.

It's broken, but it dominates Holy for PVP, both as a healer and in world PVP. Your heals will be ~5% less, but your crits are superior to Holy. At the same time you crit more often than Holy. The ultimate slap in the face is to 1 on 1 with any other healer, they will be unable to kill you if they keep themselves alive and go oom if they fight back.

The only loss in PVE, compared to full Holy raiding setups, is haste. The ability to spam Holy Light and not go oom outweighs many of the benefits of Holy.

been PvPing on the PTR server for a few days with the different holy specs
    so far my favorite has been http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sxudxhdhVuMZaZVf0xzh
    which would be classed as a shockadin spec
    running 46.5% crit with kings on holy shock/light
    used about 4 drinks and 5 regen buffs in 25 BGs (usually in a zerg group at WSG GY, or alliance bases in AB/Eye)
    holy shock with the new changes is an amazingly strong ability for healing and dmg, and so far I've been able to out last every other healer thats been with me, all the specs in s4/3 gear

I'm currently running 3/5 s4 1/5 s2 (shoulders) and 2 piece PvE gear with 380 res, 18k armor

I wouldnt call that a shockadin build. Thats a heave crit healer build.

shockadin concept is do burst dmg, and your build is missing vital talens for damage, like Seals of the Pure, crusade, vengeance, and Art of war....And for mana issue any shockadin would take JotW as well.

If I was doing a healer for arena, I would use your build.

Quote Originally Posted by Xs
    holy shock with the new changes is an amazingly strong ability for healing and dmg, and so far I've been able to out last every other healer thats been with me, all the specs in s4/3 gear
    Funny? Assume you have 10k mana, which isn't very high. JotW returns 2k mana every 8 seconds. The equivalent of 1250 mp/5. You can outlast that? Funny, because I've sat there with full S3/4 Priests as they spam Mana Burn and if they ever stop to heal, even a renew, they go oom before I do. That's without the LoS issues of arena to avoid burns between Judgements, or heaven forbid a Hunter leaving their pet on you so you can use it as a mana battery. I end most matches at 100% mana using an sl/sl partner. Lost a couple times to double Ret, not much I can do about my partner getting 1 shot by two bubbled Paladins. HoP only goes so far against all the holy damage.

I'm just highly amused by claiming you can out last healers with that spec. No one ever try to drain you... ever? Maybe in 5's there would be enough burst to really warrant full Holy, but in 2's and 3's? Maybe if you're running a comp with no CC in 3's, but definitely not in 2's. Dual Ret is the only thing that's going to burst you down. That is purely a PTR issue though, it's not true at 80 due to the health increases.

Take your maximum mana and divide by 8, that's your approximate mp/5 with JotW used on cool down. With 12k mana, casting 3x Holy Light -> Judgement and never using Flash of Light, you need 120 normal mp/5 to break even. More than likely, you don't need to heal this much. If you do 5x FoL -> Judgement instead you wind up with a net gain of 1400 mana per 8 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Xs
    been PvPing on the PTR server for a few days with the different holy specs
    so far my favorite has been http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sxudxhdhVuMZaZVf0xzh
    which would be classed as a shockadin spec
    Most shockadins will use 37/0/34 build. All builds will probably have some slight modifications but I'm going to try http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sEA...zMZZVf0xdIzf0s. Assuming about 15k mana on 80 it gives you 3k every time you judge and that's a LOT. Plus burst and survivability - really sounds tasty :>

as far as i can tell this is premo shock buid for arena if you have good gear

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...00000000000000

otherwise feel free to grab the extra int/mana reduc

and btw, pure of heart is sexy now

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

Quote Originally Posted by spleeze

Will a shockadin top healing meters? no
    Will a shockadin top dps meters? no
    You obviously don’t know paladins. A shockadin has all the needed talents for healing. No crucial talent is missed, i.e. they will do the same healing as any other holy paladin (when wearing healinggear). The only difference you will see is because of gear and skill, but no way because of spec. I PvE as healadin with shockspec, and i got no problems keeping up with others.

It’s a pvp and grind spec. And in pvp no1 can beat me except discpriests and locks, all other classes get crushed. Retridins I even take down with losing max 60% of my life, so my damage is more the fine. In BG I am always the top damage and nr 1 in HK’s. And for the people claiming shockadins are killstealers: I can 1 shot people from 40% and below, that’s no kill stealing. In MH shockadins can beat all classes except mages and locks on dps. Shockadins no damage? I know better.

It’s no real spec that’s true, and with spellpower in WotLK and the removal of sanctity aura every holy paladin can be considered a shockadin. But saying shockadins spec is stupid because retridins can dps and heal now…..come meet 3 months after WotLK launches and ppl got some nice gear, I’ll destroy any retridin that challenges me just as I do now and show you just how ‘stupid’shockadins are.

Paladins are a what? Hybrid Class.

The Shockadin (37/0/34) build is what? A Hybrid Build.
    "My rage bar is blue, and I start the fight pissed!" - Battlecry of the Ret Paladin.
    "The best defense is a good offense." - Motto of the Ret Paladin.
    River Below - Billy Talent - Theme Song of the Ret Paladin.

DK Death Strike Tanking
    The Power of Avoidance! - DK Tank Required Reading
    DK AP Coefficients
    DK Threat Values

Aurich von Deathstrike