current prot build, comments, suggestions

this is based on the assumption that reckoning doesnt have the same as TBC mechanics

HAHA, i messed that link up

use this one
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sVZ0xVAbugtjIRGoxb

Re: current prot build, comments, suggestions

37/0/34?

This isn't a prot build it's a bastard child of holy and ret.

This is a prot build:
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sVZ0xVA0uGteIRhoEb
    5/54/12

Well I think he meant a shockadin built ???

Quote Originally Posted by Ektoplasme
    Well I think he meant a shockadin built ???
    yeah i copied another build then built mine and forgot to relink it oops

Good build.

Though Divine Guardian just feels like an OT ability to me. Not usable as MT since bubbling will drop aggro off you. I personaly didn't take it and instead spent points for reduced instant cast costs (benediction) and full rank of Ardent Defender. I did sacrifice a few points in reckoning since with 3/5 it still seems to proc a whole of of time, and it gets becomes worse of an ability with the more avoidance you have.

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdone
    37/0/34?

This isn't a prot build it's a bastard child of holy and ret.

This is a prot build:
    http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sVZ0xVA0uGteIRhoEb
    5/54/12
    I see you've played knifey spoony before.

Good build.

Though Divine Guardian just feels like an OT ability to me. Not usable as MT since bubbling will drop aggro off you. I personaly didn't take it and instead spent points for reduced instant cast costs (benediction) and full rank of Ardent Defender. I did sacrifice a few points in reckoning since with 3/5 it still seems to proc a whole of of time, and it gets becomes worse of an ability with the more avoidance you have.
    well they changed one of the bubbles so you only take 50% dmg, so your not wiping your threat. as far as reckoning goes, it procs off blocks now too, and you should be blockling alot more as a paladin rather than avoiding, at least thats how i would understand it. and with holyshield and redoubt i already hit a 77% chance to block in TBC. it will be fun to see. with ardent defenderiunno, we have a 5min cd on a shield wall and epic healers, and 12% reduction should be well enough though.

Diving Shield is what procs the ability, not Divine Protection. So only full aggro-dropping bubble will do it.

I did sacrifice a few points in reckoning since with 3/5 it still seems to proc a whole of of time, and it gets becomes worse of an ability with the more avoidance you have.
    Sorry I missed this before... I'm not sure if it works on lower ranks, but I know that at 5/5 Reckoning, the tooltip changes to read: "Gives you a 10% chance after blocking or being hit..."

So parry and dodge will reduce Reckoning's effectiveness, but blocks have a chance to proc it. Makes 5/5 Reckoning a must for prot builds as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by b37x
    Sorry I missed this before... I'm not sure if it works on lower ranks, but I know that at 5/5 Reckoning, the tooltip changes to read: "Gives you a 10% chance after blocking or being hit..."

So parry and dodge will reduce Reckoning's effectiveness, but blocks have a chance to proc it. Makes 5/5 Reckoning a must for prot builds as far as I'm concerned.
    /agree

Now that crushings are removed reckoning is a lot more welcome plus the chance on both block and hit. On live i am not taking reckoning but if things remain as they are on the beta it's a must!
    YOU FACE NOT MALCHEZAR ALONE, BUT THE LEGIONS I COMMAND!

you don't need 5/5... I'm using 3/5 on PTR and it's fine. if I had more block rating it would proc more...

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    Now that crushings are removed reckoning is a lot more welcome plus the chance on both block and hit. On live i am not taking reckoning but if things remain as they are on the beta it's a must!
    it wasnt so much the crushing blows, it what happens with reckonig, reckoning procs a skill called "retaliating strikes" and as far as i know its the only skill that does. thier justification for this was we had devo aura, and later on when the realized that a retaliating blow for 2.5x dmg(non-crit) wasnt exactly justified they shelved it till they reworked it for WOTLK.

Reckoning always proced off of blocks if you didnt block the full dmg, so no change just tooltip rewording.

Divine Gaurdian- Not taking this because it is to much of an OT ability??? so you never offtank? I find it odd that paladins can complain they never get to MT but then complain that something adds to OT functionality. Or in other words its ok for a war to be your OT but not for you to OT?

There are many fights where you can use Divine Gaurdian while MTing(see Hexlord). As well as bosses where there is no single tank, as well as the ability while the other tank has threat to reduce his dmg like say Bear in ZA, maybe there is a taunt mistake and he has debuffs he shouldnt, you pop bubble and absorb some of the extra dmg he is taking....

But back to reckoning. Not using SoR drops the usefullness of this ability big time, its still random and gets worse with better gear. Unless something changes the amount of threat gain from this talent is no more then Enchant gloves threat, at this point even crit talents are adding more threat per point and they arnt random.

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH
    Reckoning always proced off of blocks if you didnt block the full dmg, so no change just tooltip rewording.

Divine Gaurdian- Not taking this because it is to much of an OT ability??? so you never offtank? I find it odd that paladins can complain they never get to MT but then complain that something adds to OT functionality. Or in other words its ok for a war to be your OT but not for you to OT?

There are many fights where you can use Divine Gaurdian while MTing(see Hexlord). As well as bosses where there is no single tank, as well as the ability while the other tank has threat to reduce his dmg like say Bear in ZA, maybe there is a taunt mistake and he has debuffs he shouldnt, you pop bubble and absorb some of the extra dmg he is taking....

But back to reckoning. Not using SoR drops the usefullness of this ability big time, its still random and gets worse with better gear. Unless something changes the amount of threat gain from this talent is no more then Enchant gloves threat, at this point even crit talents are adding more threat per point and they arnt random.
    ive never been in a fight where i could bubble myself nor the MT/OT and not have them drop threat tottally. as far as reckoning not adding threat, thats where SoR comes in, also it could be used to stack up vengance pretty quick, then use SoR to maintain it. also reckoning didnt always proc on block, check 2-3 beta builds ago its in the patch notes. so now at 10% chance to incur reckoning on ANY dmg taken and paired with something like upwards 70% chance to block while both redoubt and HS are up that is an easy way to maintain it.

what he meant is that in TBC, if you didn't block the entire damage you would still take some damage while blocking and it could proc from that damage.

so in a sense the only buff we got is that we can also proc if we block the entire damage.