Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does anyone play a mage for fun anymore?

Title says it all. Does anyone play a mage and spec them just for the fun or is it all a numbers game for everyone to justify killing off AI bosses on raids? Everyone talks about mana to damage efficiencies and emphasize specs that might be very efficient in both but are as boring as bricks to play. I chose a mage because of lore and mystery of a mage. I choose specs and talents that make being a mage fun and worth my spare time to spend online with them. Is killing the same tired old AI bosses with scripted attacks and roles that much fun that you'd dedicate yourself entirely to that one function and being the most efficient at it? My mage is full epic geared, he farms, he goes into instances, he does PVP, he helps new guildies in SFK and BFD. No, I've never gone into the Black Temple, but I've been into the other raid instances and found them to be akin to school field-trips; mildly interesting at first but degrades into mind-numbing boredom as it wears on.
    I'm rolling a Blunt Elf... That's a high-elf that likes to party.

Deleted

Re: Does anyone play a mage for fun anymore?

it's a pve game mostly.
    I actually think, that even if you had, let's say, instead of 4 key to push, um, 8, it'd not be much more fun;
    a) because many encounters would get hella complicated(later on) and you couldn't concentrate on shit
    b) because it would become the same after a while, it'd just get boring again; i don't really know about other classes, but afaik it always comes down to a few core skills and then a bunch of extras you use in the right time. imho it's about moving, targetting and managing health/mana/trinkeds/other cooldowns and executing whatever that encounter wants you to do

oh, i just realized that this might be a pointless "lol pve is boring" thread; if that is the case, I'm sorry i contributed to it.
    also, i agree that fireball-spamming is boring; i also think that having an ele to manage and ccing and dpsing would be much more fun...

edit: ofcourse ever1 is talking about numbers! they're trying to test different speccs. that game is, after all, all about numbers.
    and for some people, the game is more fun if your class sacrifices a bit of the fun in itself, but gets more of a use to others?

I have 2 mages..

A level 34 human mage on my main server

And a 33 Blood elf mage on my horde server (Blood elf is fire, human is frost)

I may not be 70... but i have a ton of fun on my mage, They are both fun... Fire is more fun leveling though... frostbolt spam gets old fast.. :\

Just my 2¢.

- Slavemaker -

In general terms you are right. You must like your class and your specc and thats a priority in wow. I am a fire mage from the start. I have tried all speccs (frost and arcane) but could never specc arcane cuz i find it so boring. Even if it outdps the fire mage i wont play it. Its a matter of preference tho... But i will play my mage in that way to maximize his dps. So for me, mage is a combination of fun and numbers and i like it

I play a mage for fun.

Started a mage when I first started, and have had so much fun with him.

I've raided, pvped, but the most fun I have is going to Dead Mines with low lelvel alts of friends and rounding whole areas up and AoEing everything down, and then waiting for them to loot the corpses.

I also play see if the Tank (only with friends or people I know) can get the mob before I have to Ice Block

In fact I've shown how much fun a mage is, that two of my friends have rolled Gnome mages of their own...it's scarey seeing 3 frost Gnome mages in a row.

i used to play for fun but now im raiding on druid. and as my mage grinded most reps, did all quests, instances and so on there is not much left except farming. but ill be back to him in wotlk and will play as frostfire which seems to be very interesting spec
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    oh, i just realized that this might be a pointless "lol pve is boring" thread; if that is the case, I'm sorry i contributed to it.
    No, its not one of those. I despise forum trolls and I don't bait people for that. Its a legitimate question. Consider the topics and discussions here, its like watching accountants at a luncheon, only their conversations are more flavorless than the food. Its all numbers grinding and efficiencies. Seriously, what planet are you guys from that do that? At the end when you have max tier gear, whats left?! Reroll? I much prefer having fun and I'll likely go fire in the WOTLK, only because watching the procs for living bomb and blastwave and then fly down to the bottom of the ravine where I threw everyone and dance among the corpses while theyre still there watching me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavemaker
    I have 2 mages..

A level 34 human mage on my main server

And a 33 Blood elf mage on my horde server (Blood elf is fire, human is frost)

I may not be 70... but i have a ton of fun on my mage, They are both fun... Fire is more fun leveling though... frostbolt spam gets old fast.. :\

Just my 2¢.

- Slavemaker -
    Wow, 34 and 33. That's.... special.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1pahty
    Wow, 34 and 33. That's.... special.
    you missed the point. his posts is very valid. he plays for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aureoloss
    you missed the point. his posts is very valid. he plays for fun.
    While leveling. The point isn't very valid with regards to eng-game raiding or PvP. Especially when referenced to the changes made to the class from vanilla to BC to Wrath.

I love my mage I know that almost every time i log on my mage im going to have fun. I may not be the most powerful class or the most powerful mage by any means but the class is still incredible fun to play. I think a lot of it comes from the skill to be good and when you do play skillfully and Win over a class/player that is more powerful then you its a great feeling knowing that your class is tuff to play and tuff to be good at and I enjoy the challenge.

15+ Year Old Account

I had a mage but got a little frustrated and deleted him.. I may just remake one after reading this considering it reminds me of playing the mage classes in RPG's.

Quote Originally Posted by FlacidGladiator
    Title says it all. Does anyone play a mage and spec them just for the fun or is it all a numbers game for everyone to justify killing off AI bosses on raids? Everyone talks about mana to damage efficiencies and emphasize specs that might be very efficient in both but are as boring as bricks to play. I chose a mage because of lore and mystery of a mage. I choose specs and talents that make being a mage fun and worth my spare time to spend online with them. Is killing the same tired old AI bosses with scripted attacks and roles that much fun that you'd dedicate yourself entirely to that one function and being the most efficient at it? My mage is full epic geared, he farms, he goes into instances, he does PVP, he helps new guildies in SFK and BFD. No, I've never gone into the Black Temple, but I've been into the other raid instances and found them to be akin to school field-trips; mildly interesting at first but degrades into mind-numbing boredom as it wears on.
    You realise epics don't mean anything right?

I'm not being a d*ck but Epics lost meaning with BC release. Pre-BC the only way to get epics were from 40 man runs or not having a life by playing 20 hours a day to get to the "high" pvp ranks.

Nowadays you can be full epics by farming honor and running 5 man instances..

With all due respect, you complain about boring scripted fights yet you havn't experienced a decent level of content (BT/Sunwell). Seriously, everybody has epics.. they're welfare =/

Mages are still very fun to play. I've been 2/6 Sunwell, 9/9 BT and 5/5 MH and played in the 2100 bracket and I still find my mage fun. Though frustrating at times in PvP due to not being as versatile in regards to viability to team compositions in arena, being extremely vulnerable to mana drain / LoS while having a 0 room for errors, where other classes and comps can get away with errors now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tda
    You realise epics don't mean anything right?

I'm not being a d*ck but Epics lost meaning with BC release. Pre-BC the only way to get epics were from 40 man runs or not having a life by playing 20 hours a day to get to the "high" pvp ranks.

Nowadays you can be full epics by farming honor and running 5 man instances..

With all due respect, you complain about boring scripted fights yet you havn't experienced a decent level of content (BT/Sunwell). Seriously, everybody has epics.. they're welfare =/

Mages are still very fun to play. I've been 2/6 Sunwell, 9/9 BT and 5/5 MH and played in the 2100 bracket and I still find my mage fun. Though frustrating at times in PvP due to not being as versatile in regards to viability to team compositions in arena, being extremely vulnerable to mana drain / LoS while having a 0 room for errors, where other classes and comps can get away with errors now and again.
    Youre not being a d!ck, youre being a bean-counter. Youre exactly the mindset I find tedious and two dimensional as the spreadsheets your mull over on your character's gear to damage ratio. How many times have you gone in and killed the same AI boss on a scripted attack plan with a defined role for you before you even set foot inside the instance? You farm AI bosses endlessly, bouncing around from raid instance to raid instance in one night to farm a boss or mob for gear. That one function consumes you to the point you've lost focus on the pure fun of the unexpected. There's no bold horizon for you, its the same repititious tedium time and again and the funny thing is, you do it willingly and then many of you turn around and say, "Wow, can't wait for Warhammer to come out." Why? So you can do the exact same thing there? You pick up and dump people in your raids to get just the right mix so you can farm some obnoxiously ugly bear mount and you'll do it 20 or more times till you finally get one. If being the equivalent of an accountant is what spins your wheels, more power too you, but that isn't the point of this post. Its to ask if there's anyone still left that DOESN'T do what you do. The mere fact you said "welfare" indicates youre just another PVE gear snob. Seriously, is this all we have left in this game are people that run the numbers and look down their noses at those who aren't running Black Temple eight times a week?

I'm Pom-Pyro, nuff said.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sunstrider&n=Fukla

The fact that i did not reroll in BC even when mages were below hunters-rogues-warlocks explains the main reason why i play mage.

Yer for sure, i got a mage twink which i play for fun now and then, skilled him as a fire mage and all the equipment is set out purley for spell damage, only level 63 up to now but when but when i play its a blast! lituraly

Whoever tries to say they have BT/Sunwell gear while saying their mage is fun... i have trouble to understand...

IF YOU HAVE FUN WITH YOUR MAGE, GEAR (OF ALL LEVELS) MEANS NOTHING!

I'm a Fire mage since a month after i started playing, i love it and i find it really fun, burning everything, spreading chaos everywhere

Whatever happens with Blizzard and mage buffs/nerfs, I DONT CARE. Fire Mage will be my main in WotLK even if we had the lowest dps of all specs, because i like mage far more than every other class ive played
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kostis
    lol @ that vid. lol @ Nyhm. lol @ the truth.