Thread: Dispersion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Dispersion

Quote Originally Posted by UnholyBlight
    This spell is pissing me off beyond belief.

I just wish they would give UP on it. Make something else. I don't understand the point in a spell, which doesn't make me immune, and unable to cast. All people will do is load you up with DOTS, status affects, use the time to heal themselves, or simply just keep hitting you. I would be happy if someone did it when I was fighting them. 6 seconds of them not able to do anything? Sounds nice to me!
    Give up on it? Dude, don't you realize that this spell is what SPriests NEEDED in the first place -.-? My 70 Priest had a problem with survivability if something happened to my Psychic Scream or my shield was down ( which is downed pretty fast but meh, I'm not complaining on this one ). It gives SPriests survivability dude -.- it's basically a watered down version of DS which is nice. And what? they nerfed it? Meh, more like reduced it down to what it was SUPPOSE to be in the first place ( survivability ). They took out the extra damage so people wouldn't either blow it on killing faster or overall just using it what it wasn't first intended to be.

Congratsulations Blizzard you just ruined dispersion once again!
    SPriests according to Blizzard were doing the "most damage" and this would have only made things worse if someone could be feared for a full duration, this would actually possibly be completely OPed. Granted damage hasn't been modified yet ( actual numbers, not base and coefficients ).

Overall, I'm not worried for my SPriest, I just think there are too many whiners who are all like "ZOMG N33DS MOAR DMG!!!!!!!!!!!". I mean holy hell, this is worse than ROGUES ( granted I do feel for Rogues on somethings and others I do not because they use the same QQing method as this one )

1st off, all you idiots talking about a 25% damage increase need to go reread the damn patch notes. It was a 25% increase in spell damage.. A 25% increase in your spell damage for 1 minute is hardly OP, although I'd like to see it return in the form of a more realistic 10-15%. Learn to read before you get your panties in a bunch.

2nd of all, Spriests have been bitching and moaning since the start of TBC about their mana problems, especially in raid environments. Then Blizzard answered our prayers with a reduced CD on our lame ass Shadowfiend AND a talent that somehow manages to have both PvE and PvP utility and you guys go ballistic when the Mage and Lock ("pure" dps classes) mana regen abilities are better than the Spriest (hai2u hybrid class) version. Please just be happy that Blizz is actually addressing issues with the class.

3rd, I really enjoy how some people just don't understand sarcasm over the interweb as evidenced by the responses to reply #6.

Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Warlocks also still get the use of their other abilities while in demon form, yes?

I do not think we are going to see hunter stacking in WoTLK... which Dispersion is designed for. Our raid usually ran with one hunter... althou, we quit short on killing Illidari Council because alot of people quit the game and WoTLK news was dampering people wanting to raid.
    You don't think we will see hunter stacking in wotlk?Mind elaborating on that statement?`Seeing as wotlk surv hunters dps atm is beaten by few and adding in a little utility to boot.When you say dispersion is designed for not stacking hunters...what are you talking about?`And if u in tbc only ran 1 hunter you shouldn't be surprised you stopped at council seeing as i.e SK Gameing run 3 most of the time due to their v high dmg.

Well yes it is a poor example if we were truely talking about the fight and not using it as an example of alot of raid damage that would hinder the old dispersion damage buff useless. I was more so trying to point out an encounter with unpredictable raid damage, which I am sure WoTLK is going to have. Besides... why should I waste my 36% mana regen before a pull when my talent spec will be based around me having that mana regen during fights?
    So you're saying for a fight that can last as little as 2 min at best you will argue for the loss of 36% mana regen vs 25% spelldmg increase for a min without losing 6 sec dps time channeling it "mid-fight", if you manage to go oom on naj'entus then you're doing something wrong.
    Also you pointed Naj'entus out to underline unpredictable raid damage? Naj'entus damage is pretty damn predictable, it's constant splashing the raid so nothing unpredictable about it.

On the bright side ill never die to dark barrage again when our raid healers fall asleep!
    Zinge
    Officer of <Smitus and Friends> 7/7M 10/10M
    US 10th

Quote Originally Posted by Relina
    1st off, all you idiots talking about a 25% damage increase need to go reread the damn patch notes. It was a 25% increase in spell damage.. A 25% increase in your spell damage for 1 minute is hardly OP, although I'd like to see it return in the form of a more realistic 10-15%. Learn to read before you get your panties in a bunch.

2nd of all, Spriests have been bitching and moaning since the start of TBC about their mana problems, especially in raid environments. Then Blizzard answered our prayers with a reduced CD on our lame ass Shadowfiend AND a talent that somehow manages to have both PvE and PvP utility and you guys go ballistic when the Mage and Lock ("pure" dps classes) mana regen abilities are better than the Spriest (hai2u hybrid class) version. Please just be happy that Blizz is actually addressing issues with the class.

3rd, I really enjoy how some people just don't understand sarcasm over the interweb as evidenced by the responses to reply #6.
    Read darkness or shadowform tooltip`s. It quire surely was just flat 25% dmg increase unless you are one of those infamous melee priests with big hammer and agi gems.

Quote Originally Posted by dimiaerl
    Tbh, having the spellpower buff on dispersion wasn't really fun. Dispersion shouldn't be a buff you cast yourself whenever the CD is up and you're not taking damage.

It originally appeared as a situational/reactive ability, and I guess it should remain that way.

I completely agree that as it is, silencing yourself for 6 seconds even with 90% damage reduction isn't going to help much in PvP. In terms of PvE, the damage reduction is not necessary. You shouldn't be getting damage in the first place, if you are, damage reduction is not the right fix for it. Silencing yourself for mana isn't an option. What with shadowfiend on a reduced cooldown, i'm not even sure that mana is a major concern of spriests.

I personally hope they add some kind of damage component or buff/synergy/something.
    You obviously never raided BT or SWP much... there is all sorts of unavoidable raid damage flying around in those encounters. Hell, for a few SWP encounters it's setup for you to soak or take the damage because avoiding the raid damage causes wipes (see Brutallus & Eredar Twins). Whether or not this type of raid damage is going to continue in WotLK won't really be known till much later, but having the ability to reduce all damage by 90% isn't purely a PvP ability. Too many people make the assumption that all encounters are tank & spank... simply not true.

As for the 6 second silence or inability to attack... i'm not so sure that's necessary... but it is 6 seconds of some serious reduced damage. Maybe remove the silence componenet and all spells are at half strength during it's effect?

The very short 25% spellpower buff was a little odd in it's mechanic and when I modeled it's effect you were looking at a 5 to 7% dps boost from it alone (length of encounter dependant)... that was obviously well above the 1% dps increase per point quota.

Yes... because starting a fight for one of the higher threat generating classes with a 25% damage boost is ideally what you want to be doing. Lets see you get a full 6 second dispersion for the 25% buff on... lets say, Naj'entus.
    Not sure you thought this through... Naj'entus would be a good encounter for dispersion... when his water shield goes up you can't dps anyways, you're about to take 8.5K frost damage... sounds like the perfect time to hit dispersion.

Lets go through the other BT encounters...

Supremeus - if he focuses you in the kite phase, you can't do much but run away from him so hitting dispersion wouldn't result in lost dps... if you get a volcano spawn on top of you if you don't healthstone and run immediately you'll probably die, dispersion is another tool to stay alive and dps during kite phase doesn't mean squat.

Not much use on Akama, if you got the damage buff still at least that part would b nice, but lets face it, Akama is free loots.

Not much use on Gorefiend if your raid doesn't fail on constructs, the raid damage is easily healed.... but if you get someone failing on constructs, dispersion might keep you alive.

Dispersion would be rather nice if you got blood rage on bloodboil, there is plenty of raid damage flying around and you're always threat capped, 6 seconds of no dps is probably a good thing.

RoS, probably has limited use... but if your guild wanted to adopt the strat of using everyone to tank RoS in phase 1, dispersion again is handy. You can probably use it in phase 2 when the damage buff thing (forget the name) is reflected onto RoS so you don't crit yourself to death (admitadly not much of a worry but probably would be with 100% crit damage).

Mother Shiraz has plenty of raid damage, dispersion when you get teleported would be super win... you dont dps then in any case as you have to run away from the other 2 people and you take a massive amount of shadow damage. You also have very poor mana effeciency from the SR gear you have to wear, so some extra mana regen is win.

Illidari Council has plenty of raid damage, if you get a double AoE and envenom all at once (unlikely but it's happened to me on occasion) it would be great, not to mention your mana effeciency is poor due to the aura. It's a long encounter too so some extra mana and survivability is nice to have. Suriving is the key to this encounter and dispersion helps you live... it's not a DPS race.

Illidan has a few abilities you want dispersion for, dark barrage for one and agonising flames (the last ticks really hurt and it can kill you even spam healing yourself). Again Illidan isn't a DPS race, it's a surviability encounter... dispersion keeps you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetoez
    Sorry but you have no idea what your talking about, it wasn't overpowered, you get a 25% extra damage buff (Which was needed to make this talent have a use for pve, and good for burst in pvp) for 1 minute, where you have to not take any damage for 6 seconds to get the buff, and you can't cast. Pve wise quite alot of bosses have aoe so u have to time it right, and in pvp you've also gotta time it right. It was a great change, one that was needed. but now it will be skipped for pve again. And it's pretty Meh for pvp
    Mute point coz it's been removed... however when you model what the 25% extra spell damage meant... it gave between 5 to 7% extra damage (length of encounter dependant) which was pretty insane for 1 talent point. Remember the budget is 1 talent point is roughly equal to 1%.

So do you have a model suggesting it was less damage or are you suggesting that 1 talent point for 5 to 7% damage isn't significant?

1 talent for 1% applies more in the lower end of the trees, not to a 51 point talent

Quote Originally Posted by Caidrin
    1 talent for 1% applies more in the lower end of the trees, not to a 51 point talent
    No, Blizzard have stated that applies anywhere in the tree (be happy to troll though some forums if I have to to link it). The assumption that deeper talents can be allocated more of a dps increase is incorrect. You can argue on those terms I guess but I don't see a problem with it if it's consistent for all classes. It's the same playing field and easier to balance than introducing some kind of escalating mechanic in the talent trees.

once again, look at metamorphosis, its a littl bit more than 1% right there, also then, justify darkness in the shadow tree using your own reasoning, or shadowform.

Quote Originally Posted by Caidrin
    once again, look at metamorphosis, its a littl bit more than 1% right there, also then, justify darkness in the shadow tree using your own reasoning, or shadowform.
    Again blizzard said the 1% for 1 point was a guide and for various reasons this is broken or stretched for particular talents for each class at times.

I'd wager in the case of Dispersion that the mechanic of not taking damage to get a 25% damage increase was probably difficult to get working properly. It also gave a flat 25% damage increase for 1 min which is considerable, it takes the encounter 8 or so minutes before the damage increase flattens to 5%. With the SW:P refresh mechanic every spriest would have basically added 25% to their SW:P (it's 2 points for 10% earlier in the tree).

Lets face it, when you factor in the mana regen and the ability to reduce damage by 90%, this addition was pretty OP... I know I was licking my lips at the prospect but I can see why it's been removed.

I can see that one as well but atm dispersion is just utterly crap evocation.

Allow casting while dispersed.. increase damage by 40% for the duration, win

I think it may be worth experimenting with allowing casting while dispersion is active... I doubt we're gonna see any sort of damage increase during it's effect however... if you made a 40% damage increase during dispersion you're effectively allowing SW:P to get a 40% damage increase and consdiering it's about 20% of our current dps that would be a huge increase.

So again, I think at the very least experimenting with letting us cast spells during dispersion is worthwhile... i guess they're worried about it's effect in PvP... maybe it should be 70% damage reduction with the ability to continue casting spells?

Guess how fast Mages will start to QQ if you get a Evo with dmg reduction of 90% AND casting during it. Plus for PvP it would be simply OP'd even at 70%

It might be OP but it is beta... it should be experimented with imo... i know rogues CoS is for magic only and 2s duration but they don't have the restriction of not having to attack or get some sort of attack penalty.

Doesn't this move sound somewhat similar to dreamless sleep potion?
    This is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by sakered
    Doesn't this move sound somewhat similar to dreamless sleep potion?
    This is stupid.
    Was that not the one that your healers kept dispelling when you used it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    Was that not the one that your healers kept dispelling when you used it?
    Yes, yes it is. I'd personally like to see this last closer to 8-9 seconds without the silence, with the same overall mana regen and a lower CD (~2 mins or so).