Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Chaos Bolt now deals Chaos damage instead of Fire damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Einzweidrei
    No, they don't. That is 12 seconds, at least, of spell casting. That is not a quick kill.

A year ago a kara-geared fire mage I had was killing 70-71 elementals in skettis and/or elemental plateau in well under 10 seconds.

Today on live an affliction lock (or sl/sl, no real difference) I have, in full pvp gear, can dispatch 4+ of those elementals in 20 seconds or so, ending at full hp, full mana, and with the bodies of the NPCs stacked at his feet for easy looting.

Taking 12 seconds, with the new talents, to kill a level 68 mob is NOT "insanely fast" killing for a nuking class, or probably even "reasonably fast" killing. It's something more like "mediocre killing speed for a fresh 70." It is especially not fast on the PTR, opposed to live.
    Well given that many are dead by the end of the incinerate. I agree on the affliction point, my lock can take 5 or even 6 mobs down in under 30 seconds or so by just dotting up, and that's as SL/SL. The only reason it's not more is because you tend to run out of mobs, so i don't know how many you could take down per minute if you had endless mobs, but you wouldn't end on full hp and mana like that. The UA approach can on about 4 i guess.

But it's still fast. No-one likes grinding, and the old style affliction approach, while pretty efficient, and pretty fast, is cool and can be quite fun, but as a lock, i really hate being hit by anything, and it's better to tank than to randomly fear on those mobs. Let's say the current destro approach has more finesse at least, and i've specced into both full affl and destro, single target mobs don't die any faster on affl than destro so far.

Depending on what the hp pool of the mobs are like on live, if haunt, corr, CoA, and UA aren't enough to take a mob down on their own in the dot and switch approach then destro times will approach those of affl, since you'll have to spend 10+ seconds on a single mob anyway. Affl is probably always going to be faster if you're going after multiple mobs at once, but now that destro is more efficient, it feels like a nicer way to grind to me.

Bottom line, it's insanely fast compared to destro currently. And not just fast, more streamlined, and more efficient.

;D with no intention of sounding greedy ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by MortuariusBC

you need money on beta or PTR?

i have about 20k on the PTR if you do lemme know

hehe not pointed at me but hell, if your on the pvp server of the ptr, im in a similar position to the person you're responding to, some money would be helpful
    actually the secret to getting top damage and Hks in a BG is to eat the croissant pockets with the flaky crust... the 5 cheese ones in particular are tasty.... when the little flakes drop on the keyboard and you have to pick them out you tend to cast more dots and fears
    - MortuariusBC: during a discussion on Warlocks and Hotpockets

Quote Originally Posted by MortuariusBC

you need money on beta or PTR?

i have about 20k on the PTR if you do lemme know
    Heh, I appreciate the offer but I'm european.. So unless, for some funny reason you're european as well, I can't accept it.

Testing chaos bolt on test relm today I am getting partial resists (80 percent of the dmg was resisted by a lvl 80 target dummy and some were completely resisted, i have capped hit) and I also get the immunity response from targets with ice block or paladin bubble active. Was it nerfed so the same thing happens on beta as well or is it just a test relm glitch?

Quote Originally Posted by DOG
    Testing chaos bolt on test relm today I am getting partial resists (80 percent of the dmg was resisted by a lvl 80 target dummy and some were completely resisted, i have capped hit) and I also get the immunity response from targets with ice block or paladin bubble active. Was it nerfed so the same thing happens on beta as well or is it just a test relm glitch?
    PTR glitch, cept for the test dummies, they have 1 million resilience against lvl 70's
    Druids: 50g away from being better at your job than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Menin
    come on...thats common sense imagine using it on a lvl 80 of anything
    It probably won't get resisted often against a player, but that aside..

Quote Originally Posted by DOG
    Chaos Bolt is supposed to be unresistable.. how can you get it resisted?
    I tried it before the implemention of the latest build and I NEVER had full resists(=miss),a lot of partials though

Quote Originally Posted by Varithorn1
    But incinerate will outscale Chaos Bolt as soon as more spellpower is obtained.
    Wrong. Chaos damage is apparently like Frostfire damage for mages, it gets bonuses from both Fire and Shadow buffs/talents.

Also, the coefficients on spells stack so that you use the same % of your +damage per second no matter what the cast time is, unless the coeff's are weird or modified for that individual spell.

Besides that, they are both 2.5 second cast spells now anyway, AND both benefit from S&F. AND Chaos bolt ends up with a 2 second cast rather than a 2.25 second cast. So you are 100% wrong, Chaos Bolt outscales Incinerate in every way imaginable, even base damage.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    We don't think burst is a problem in PvP right now.

Quote Originally Posted by stupid11
    Wrong. Chaos damage is apparently like Frostfire damage for mages, it gets bonuses from both Fire and Shadow buffs/talents.

Also, the coefficients on spells stack so that you use the same % of your +damage per second no matter what the cast time is, unless the coeff's are weird or modified for that individual spell.

Besides that, they are both 2.5 second cast spells now anyway, AND both benefit from S&F. AND Chaos bolt ends up with a 2 second cast rather than a 2.25 second cast. So you are 100% wrong, Chaos Bolt outscales Incinerate in every way imaginable, even base damage.
    The moment he made that comment Chaos Bolt was still 2sec(1.5sec with bane), so his comment issn't wrong, just outdated.

well, ive critted up to 7,2k on my CB on PTR, buffed up i was running on 1435 spellpower though making it abit worthless compared to live shadowbolt atm. however the fact that your forced to having 2 dots running for maximising ur dmg (Chaos bolt also gains damage from molten core, chaos just means its not going under fire resistance, because we all know fire is orange in WoW). so even if you sac a demon and your chaos bolt "only" does avg 4,5k nonecrit raid buffed, you still gotta take 2 ticks from dots into the calculation, add the crit chance for a crit instead, half the cast time of a shadow bolt and then match it up against it.

The only problem with the destruction tree atm is that incinerate doesnt get enough benefits towards maximising dps, if incinerate crits for 6k on a 2,25 sec cast time, and an oldschool shadow bolt (sameish buffs and so on) can push 7,5k, on a 2.5 sec cast time, the shadow bolt does 334 dps more than the incinerate, and with conflag blowing a GCD and critting for 4,5k, will the dots and the CB be able to obtain the lost dps from the SB spam, now thats how you should look at it, in my opinion anyway.