Thread: Priest!

Priest!

Ok so here is the deal. I'm lvling a priest and she is so far lvl 62.
    And to be honest i want her to be a healer so i have been lvling her as holy and it has been a BITCH to do. I want her to be 70 before LK, and at that time she will more than likely be a Disc or disc/holy priest. But like i've said its just taking forever to do things solo as deep CoH holy (current build).

I have an EXTREME aversion to making her shadow spec since she is draenei and since i REALLY don't want to grab ranged dps gear for her when i intend to have her as a healer.

Are there any suggestion you guys have to how I should spec her/ farming macros to use?

btw: "/stopcast" is a weird concept so if you can explain that, i'd appreciate it too.

Many Thanks!!!!

Re: Priest!

Stopcast macros are no longer needed. But i would advice you to try out deep disc build which does fine for healing and if you crap some talents from holy you can also do pretty well solo leveling.

Ofc not the fastest way but definately not the slowest either.

Personally, I would do as many dungeons as possible if I was gonna level as a healer... As far as farming goes, any healing tree will be slow at it, but you may want to read about smite priests a little... don't have a link sorry. Another option is disc with reflective shields, mobs will kinda kill themselves.

By the way, all spell damage will be unified soon so your healing gear will be decent for dps too, helping you with the farming part.

Quote Originally Posted by lemure87
    Ok so here is the deal. I'm lvling a priest and she is so far lvl 62.
    And to be honest i want her to be a healer so i have been lvling her as holy and it has been a BITCH to do. I want her to be 70 before LK, and at that time she will more than likely be a Disc or disc/holy priest. But like i've said its just taking forever to do things solo as deep CoH holy (current build).

I have an EXTREME aversion to making her shadow spec since she is draenei and since i REALLY don't want to grab ranged dps gear for her when i intend to have her as a healer.

Are there any suggestion you guys have to how I should spec her/ farming macros to use?

btw: "/stopcast" is a weird concept so if you can explain that, i'd appreciate it too.

Many Thanks!!!!
    look for any melee class and lvl with him.
    my choice is enhanc shaman or warrior usually, if you heal them they can continuesly kill for you, and instances: ramparts, bf, sp, ub, at lvl 68 you can start joining better 70 instances, since you are a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow
    look for any melee class and lvl with him.
    my choice is enhanc shaman or warrior usually, if you heal them they can continuesly kill for you, and instances: ramparts, bf, sp, ub, at lvl 68 you can start joining better 70 instances, since you are a healer.
    I would get a strong AOE class like a mage to grind with. just pull like 10 mobs, which are a bit lower in level of course and kill them fast while you heal the mage. Drink up move to a new pack of mobs and repeat .

Easiest way to do this is with the birds (condors) in Hellfire Peninsula near the alliance city in the NW. After that you could go kill the bogs in NE zangarmarsh. Then basilisks in NE terrokar. After that prob some ogres in Blade edge or something.

15+ Year Old Account

Go shadow and don't tell people in instances that you are shadow spec. I levelled my priest from 1-70 as shadow and healed every 60-69 instance. Unless I told people that I was shadow, most of the time they had no idea. You just have to be a good healer and make sure you have some emergency mana pots (although, I must admit that I seldom had to pop mana pots during any 60-69 instance fights). I respecced holy at 70, built up much better healing gear and haven't looked back since.

Just make sure that you get as much healing gear as you can as you level between 60 and 70. Get it crafted, buy it, get it from instances -- and enchant it with healing and mana regen, and gem it, as often as you can. Specs make a decent difference to how you play, but you can still be a substantial healer as shadow spec in those non-70 instances.

Questing / farming as holy is painstaking. I did grind to exalted SSO with daily questing on all of my toons, including my holy priest. The addition of spell damage to healing gear made a big difference there.

As a sidenote, I had a quick play as shadow in beta and healing is great. I can only imagine the dynamics of being holy with this new spellpower attribute, as it allows shadow spec priests to (at least self-)heal much better than they could in TBC.

Gaiwyn aka Ilyaena of Proudmoore

Edit: Reworded the second paragraph. Unless someone is a good player, healing as shadow isn't always possible. I just happen to be a very decent healer with constant situational awareness and reasonable mana management. It comes with practise (and using macros ).
    For the Alliance!

Just to /agree with the guy above.

I healed most non-70 BC instances as shadow, though I always had a healing set. Oom was a problem for me, but mana pots are great, as is SF and so on. If you wipe, well, chances are you learnt something so man up and try again.

Don't be afraid to try it out. <3

sounds nice lvl my priest now lvl 47 :P so thx for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Calling Mindflay a defense is like calling, excuse the language, slicing your anus open with a knife a defensive move against surprise buttsecks.
    http://wow.allakhazam.com/wiki/pre-naxx_holy_paladin_guide_(wow)

i have been shadow since Molten Core orso sometimes respecced holy

though with lvling in TBC i was shadow and healed a bunch of instances just fine

when i hitted 70 i started raiding as shadow, though once in a while i healed heroic instances in shadowspec like underbog/slavepens/crypts the less harder ones

think i had only 1300+heal orso (sharded the gear) but i had around 350 mp5 sole reason i could keep up i was just spam healing like shit

so just lvl as shadow then decide what you like most at max lvl

I leveled my priest as holy from 67 to 70. Exalted with Netherwing and SSO, grinded those as holy also. Have to admid that solo content can suck with green/blue quality items. As you get more healing / spell power it will get more tolerable. Got 2200 heal and about 850 spellpower atm and now grinding goes nicely with little or no mana problems.

Don't know your spec or gear level without armory link so can't say anything about those. For healing priest I suggest that you take few add-ons to help you out. For healing I'd take Grid + Clique or Healbot, and you might want to take Decursive also if you don't like to dispell with Grid / Healbot.

Stopcast is very simple. You start casting spell like greater heal. When the casting is nearly finished, about 80%, you decide should you cast it or stop casting. If tank has full health then there is no need to heal so you can save your mana and keep you out of FSR (five second rule). You can make macros to /stopcast or you can just take step sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by mud_lime
    sounds nice lvl my priest now lvl 47 :P so thx for the info
    OT; pro signature :P

I appreciate you said you had a complete aversion to going shadow but remember you only need to do it for (I estimate) about 50-60hrs or so to get 62-70. [That is if sole your aim is to be 70 asap: just do quests, no instances, no grinding.]

Then you can happily respec holy at 70 (in a week or so if you work hard) & can put your whole shadow experience behind you forever ;D.

15+ Year Old Account

Or go shadow again from 70-80 and stay as teh uber shadow spec at 80!

I'm laying down the healer's baton for a spell. I will feel a hole in my heart for a time, but as I get shiny new gear and desensitise myself to the melting faces, raiding as shadow will be pure pwnage, yo.

Looking forward to speccing into shadow and raping my way to 80 and beyond!

BTW, I forgot my exact levelling spec, but I think I put some points into Discipline and may have taken improved renew in holy. I know that it really does help to have some holy talents if you want to heal a bit more effectively under the current system.

Try soloing as a protection paladin. :'(

Gaiwyn aka Ilyaena of Proudmoore
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by dsc
    oh and use a build like mine IDS aka 23-38 owns ass till later 25 man content. all COH will do is cause you to be innefective without a good main healer, as well as pull aggro and waste mana.
    Agree with statement but COH have uses in instances also. MgT is much more easier to heal with CoH. But spammed Coh is real agro builder 23-38 is better spec if you aren't raiding in end game content.

I'd take points in spirit tap even if you were leveling as a healer. it'll reduce your downtime loads.

As as shadow priest I can near enough do endless grinding thanks to spirit tap and the 500 mp5 while casting I have just dotting VT and SWP and running with a trail of bodies behind me ;D

Just to clarify what /stopcast was about:

You have probably noticed that when you hit an ability it takes about 0.2secs or more (depending on your latency) before the spell is actually cast, no ?

Yeah, it has something to do with your client requesting something from the server or something. I'm not THAT technical d:

Anyway, this meant that when you were casting something, it was actually finished on the server side 0.2 secs (or more) earlier than on your client.
    /stopcast was then used to cut off that small chunk of the current cast (since it was already finished, only not on your client because of lag)

So when you cast was 0.2 sec from finishing, you would just start casting a new spell and the first spell would fire while you're having the slight lag while waiting for next spell to cast.

Get it? d:

But with a recent patch this was fixed. There now exists a spell-queuing system, which lets you "request" a new spell while casting another. How early in the cast you can do this depends on how long you had a requesting-lag on the current spell you are trying to "cut off".

Cast-bar Addons like "Quartz" have a nifty way of displaying this lag, so you know when you can cut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by dsc
    you are correct. there are places pre endgame raids that coh helps, tidewalker and zuljin come to mind, but... POH rocks for five mans =)

but agreed COH has places, but that ten percent spell casting buff and spirit buff will gain you alot more friends and less aggro as well as mana for a loooonnng time.
    i was 23/38 up untill twins. only then i changed to coh.
    my healing ofc was increased but not by much. it made alot of situations in sw much easier. i still dont use coh that much in BT/hyjal and za. 5m, haven't done much lately - but i can't remember any good use of it.
    if no sw - i rather have IDS.

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow
    i was 23/38 up untill twins. only then i changed to coh.
    my healing ofc was increased but not by much. it made alot of situations in sw much easier. i still dont use coh that much in BT/hyjal and za. 5m, haven't done much lately - but i can't remember any good use of it.
    if no sw - i rather have IDS.
    I think it depending on how your guild decided to deal with raid damage. If you had plenty of resto shamans a lack of CoH was probably not noticed. Our guild was always priest heavy and CoH was pretty much a must for us to clear the BT & SWP content.

I too prefer the IDS spec to heal, but the fact was that holy priests did a crap load more healing with CoH and were better utilised as raid healers for encounters like Bloodboil, Mother Sharaz, Eredar Twins, Felmyst, etc. Spriest mana regen made DS somewhat redundant because no-one went oom in a spriest party (with or without DS) and considering only resto Druids, Holy Priests and Arcane Mages actually itemised their gear to include spirit it made IDS pretty average to a vast majority of your 25man raid. Im sure someone will argue spriests use spirit but look at the itemisation on BT T6, hardly any spirit and plenty of mp/5... the T6 itemisation occured before the changes to spirit regen.

+dmg > spirit for any shadow priest.

By t6 most were not going oom anyway (except after a combat rez or worse, on council :-()