Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: Mistakes in affliction builds/making the best affliction build

Quote Originally Posted by ascote

I called you freak because you use the red button.
    LOL.

I've tried using a mouse and just can't do it. This way is faster and easier imo. Don't diss meh red button!!!

Try raising the sensitivity of the mouse. Its advantage is that your left hand and right hand don't overlap.

I really like the affliction/immo/inci idea:
    - The immolate dot benefits from both Haunt and "Glyph of Immolate" (+40%), and the duration fits the actual UA refresh rotation.
    - Immo/Inci have +15% crit from mage's debuffs.
    - Molten Core will proc a lot (65-90% uptime for 2-4 dots, includes overlapping proc).
    - Incinerate costs less mana.

One problem is the refresh of corruption. If there's no nightfall proc we will have to drain life (but some ppl say it deals good damage so far).

If that proves efficient (but I doubt it, sadly), glyphs would be: Corruption, Immolate and either CoA or Siphon Life (or all 4 with the profession :P).

where do you get the 15% on crits?
    I know imp. scorch and winter's chill but both give only 10% crit to ALL SPELLS so where do you get the last 5%?

Deleted

This is the build i'll take at level 80:

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=IfxbbzrAoVqocstZE00qM

this is a pve spec, DoT's + haunt + shadowbolt.

i take Shadowburn for burst in pvp, and i think it's a good instant spell with affli / ruin spec

first of all, if you are going to make a thread and point out `mistakes` of other people`s builds you should definitely start with building your credibility(if you even have any at all). As far as i read, you are just another lock amongst the millions.

perhaps link your armory, mention your pve progression, what guild are you in, etc etc...

Some of the logic is conflicting/questionable as well. Your dps rotation doesnt include the GCD. you assume you can cast instant corr in 1sec, which in fact, is 1.5s. To lower that to 1.0second with haste you will need quite a significant amount, which you failed to mention if it was intended at all.

bottom line, perhaps change the title to `what do you think of MY affliction build` and then have people critique it.

First of all I'm in beta and i've been trying to do dps tests on a weekly basis but builds/talents also change on a weekly basis so i fear until 2 or so weeks before launch we won't know the optimal DPS(at least early in game before Tier 10 or whatever epics)
    Having said that, here is one build I'm in the middle of testing. My gear is fairly weak as it consists 50% of lvl 70 epic items.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...00000000000000

Just a few notes.

Choosing between Improved CoA, Frailty or Improved Drain Soul is really a toss up and depends on your play style.

Dark Pact - Left it out of the build. I've had this in previous builds and found that my imp would run out of mana and i would have to resort to Life Tap half the time anyways. The imp was not attacking and was phase shifted.

I Chose 1 point in improved felhunter to test out it's dps in 5 mans and raids but haven't gotten a chance to do so yet. Hopefully in the next few days i'll get some idea and i'll come back and post.

I chose malediction b/c is does improve your dps by 3% and you never know when you're the one who will have to apply CoE.

To those complaining on wether destructive reach or grim reach are needed. There's one talent at lvl 80 which most people seem to be forgetting about and that's demonic circle. I've used it constantly in fights where i had to get away from some impending aoe attack. This is all strictly pve as i've yet to venture into pvp. The circle lasts for 6 minutes and only takes 100 mana or so to teleport into it. Maybe it's just my play style but i've come to like it's utility a lot in PVE.

One other item I have to test is CoD vs CoA.

Spider

Say, with all the extra damage in the affliction tree, is ruin really worth it atm? Wouldn't cataclysm be better? And how's threat management?

You know that's a good question, the 3% to hit really does add up, but i don't have any numbers to prove it. I suppose at the beginning when you don't have a lot of +crit , cataclysm would be better, but as you get enough +hit you can start switching your talent points to ruin. As for threat, i've had no problems with it, the tanks seem to produce a ton of threat and soul shatter is always there in case of a long fight where you dmg really does scale. Just an FYI, your dps on trash mobs in 5 mans is going to suck as your dots will most likely will not reach their full potential.. but who cares about trash, it's all about the bosses.

i'm sure most of you know it from other forums, but here's a great dps simulationcraft tool that is always being worked on/polished. http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft/

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

i only read the first page, but here's the spec you guys are looking to accomplish... do some damn homework

If your only question is what is the destination, you need to think more about the journey.

For pure affliction PVE you'll most likely want a spec similar to this.
    First off threat reduction talents are always great, cuz there are fights out there where it's hard for tanks to generate threat (like RoS in BT).

Also this spec focuses on getting the most our of your points, there's no need for Fel Conc because you won't have to worry about pushback in PVE, having a gcd decrease in curses is awesome, espically when you're going to be using CoA instead of CoE when you have a Boomkin in raid. Next off you won't need shadowburn because that spell is really situtional and not useful in raids. You also don't need full points in Eradication becuase the only differnce is a 7% chance to a 10% chance on the same 30 sec CD. And yes, 3% spell DMG increase is amazing, because it scales with your gear.

As for Lifetap vs Dark Pact, at Level 70 dark pact is better because LT will scale with spirit. At Level 80 Life tap is better becuase you'll have more spirit.... A a solid 1200mana is near nothing at level 80, compared to the 2500 mana you'll get back with a improved LT.

News to you, dark pact is scaling with spellpower in PTR, our contact in beta just said threat reducing and range increasing talents aren't necessary now.

I should try something like this:

Perhaps trading those points in malediction for ruin, because 3% spellpower /= 3% damage.

News to you, dark pact is scaling with spellpower in PTR, our contact in beta just said threat reducing and range increasing talents aren't necessary now.

I should try something like this:

Perhaps trading those points in malediction for ruin, because 3% spellpower /= 3% damage.
    Yeah, I did Gruul's the other night on PTR using Dark Pact, and my imp almost always had mana for me to take. Also, it was taking more than the base 1200 mana the talent says it takes. So it's scaling somehow. And probably, because warlocks will depend on spirit so much, Life Tap will be better. I just wish Dark Pact was better because mana for nothing is better than mana for hp imo.

Thanks for the new info on dark pact. One more thing to add, with all the new healing we get from affliction (a better sihpon life and Haunt returning hp) in almost all situations those spells will heal you up to full from a life tap :]

Quote Originally Posted by jthnyn13
    Yeah, I did Gruul's the other night on PTR using Dark Pact, and my imp almost always had mana for me to take. Also, it was taking more than the base 1200 mana the talent says it takes. So it's scaling somehow. And probably, because warlocks will depend on spirit so much, Life Tap will be better. I just wish Dark Pact was better because mana for nothing is better than mana for hp imo.
    for pve purposes ill prob just pass up dark pact... especially if LT ends up scaling better
    that way i can use felhunter to increase my dps instead of having my imp sit there holding himself

Meh, perhaps I'll even end up sending a succubus if the felhunter's new bite isn't worth it.

Meh, perhaps I'll even end up sending a succubus if the felhunter's new bite isn't worth it.

my felhunters shadow bite is ave around 200 damage non crit... its normal attack is up near 140-150

succy seems like winner for dps, and if you dont plan on using DP and dont need the buff from felhunter i dont see why not