long time rogue- will I like my switch to DK??

Ok so,

I have played a rogue for 2 years and would concider myself experienced. Have ran some end game raids and played arena at a +2k rating.

I have been lvling an undead rogue to switch to from my NE when it dawned on me, I think I want to switch to a DK. I think I'm bored of spamming stunlock combos etc.

Am I making the right decision? I don't know much about the Dk but it looks fun, especially the unholy stuff.

Any input apreciated!

Thanks!

Re: long time rogue- will I like my switch to DK??

You're asking a really, really vague question to a group of people who really don't know you. So how can anyone answer your question?

Are you asking if DK's play like rogues? Wait, do you like rogues? You're leveling another, but are thinking about switching?

See what I mean?

Do some reading, research, and ask pointed questions when you are unclear.

I'd suggest reading the first part of this (and any applicable part) then come back and post.

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You'll notice you have 50+ views, and no replies...

If you enjoy needing more things to keybind and less dps/pvp ability than you're currently seeing, while picking up the ability (and possibly requirement depending on your guild) to tank, then yes.

You might aswell try it first, im doing the same well, im making a Dk my main but im keeping my rogue as a pvp char.
    The playing style is very different, you use a bigger range of skills when playing the dk, to me that was one of the big attractions of the dk when comparing him to my rogue

make one.. level to 70 and see.. if you dont like it you can spec miner/herb and have a farming alt

its very hard to discribe a DK's playstyle to someone.. its just different..
    its keybind heavy, very fast and fluid in cycles, and limited by GCD for the most part.

My main is a sunwell geared destro lock, ive also a BT geared prot pally, and a resto shaman in ZA gear..
    along with 60-70's of each other class in scrub gear.

I can say without a doubt that i enjoy my DK on beta (level 80) WAY more than any other class i have, but thats because it has exactly what i've been looking for in playstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaos
    its very hard to discribe a DK's playstyle to someone..
    I'll explain it. It works sort of like an Evil Paladin with a Rage Bar.

You have powers that apply different Diseases and powers called Strikes (and other spells) that activate and/or work with diseases. Sort of like the *old* Paladin Seal/Judgement system. It's sort of the same mechanic.

Runic Power works sort of like Rage with Warriors (Or Bear Druids) and you have some abilities that use only Runic Power.

Runes themselves reset after a set period of time like an extra GCD. Certain talents have the chance on hit to make one of your runes a "Death Rune" which makes it usable for anything. So it basically resets the Rune GCD for one of your runes.

Deathknights are the only class in-which all three talent tree's are Tanking-viable. So if you don't like to tank, don't roll a DK. Blood is more about using your Runeblade (Physical Damage) sort of like a RetPally, Frost is more about controlling and freezing enemies like a Frost Mage in Plate, and Unholy works a lot like a Warlock in plate with better pets and is more AoE oriented than Frost.

DKs are extremely easy to play and are nearly un-killable in PvP in the last build. But they have a nerf incoming next patch.
    (80) - (80)
    Proud Member of the MMO-Champion Community
    - Embrace Your Inner Geek - Gameplay First - Every Voice Matters - Learn & Grow -
    - Lead Responsibly - Commit To Quality - Play Nice, Play Fair - Think Globally -

I wouldn't. My rogue on beta is scoring 9k envenoms with mostly pvp gear, and averages 2200-2500 dps. And these numbers can only go up.
    This user has been banned.

someone definatly has no clue about the class

Runic power != rage..
    rage is a totally critical stat to warriors that they require to do anything, they gain rage as they deal damage or take it..
    runic power is gained when we are hit, or when we use rune based attacks.. auto attacking does nothing for RP.

our Disease application spells/strikes are nothing like the old judgement system either..
    we do not "buff ourselfs" then transfer debuffs to the target, we just directly apply a dot akin to a shadow priest or warlock spell.. the fact we have strikes that scale with these debuffs is far more like shadow priests talents than anything a paladin ever got.

runes are not an extra GCD.. its more like having a shared CD on a number of abilites, but being able to juggle between whats on CD.

Yes all 3 trees can tank, but all 3 can dps too.. your not "required to tank" to play a DK but it definatly would be a good idea to at least like tanking a bit.. as that lets you get more out of the class.

blood is "mostly" sustained physical damage based
    frost is "mostly" frost based, and high burst physical
    unholy is "mostly" shadow based and AoE heavy. with the bonus of a perma-pet ghoul if talented.

DK's are easy to play.
    but very hard to play to their maximum.. they require complex dps cycles and juggling of various CD abilities to get the max out of them.

and the PvP thing is one build too late, we got toned down this build (and yes we needed it)

Somebody took the phrase "sort of like" a little too literally.

Runic power != rage.. rage is a totally critical stat to warriors that they require to do anything, they gain rage as they deal damage or take it.. runic power is gained when we are hit, or when we use rune based attacks..
    Yeah… so it works like Rage. It’s not Rage. I never said it was Rage. I said it works “sort of like” Rage. You said "(Warriors) gain rage as they deal damage" and then you said "Runic Power is gained.... when we use rune based attacks". So Warriors gain rage when they do damage, and Deathknights gain Runic Power when they deal damage. Simular? Yes. Conclusion? Runic Power "Is like" Rage.

our Disease application spells/strikes are nothing like the old judgement system either.. we do not "buff ourselfs" then transfer debuffs to the target, we just directly apply a dot akin to a shadow priest or warlock spell.. the fact we have strikes that scale with these debuffs.....
    So your saying Deatknights apply Diseases (debuffs) that directly affect our Strikes/Spells… Then you say that’s nothing like the Paladin’s old system of applying a Seal (buff) then Judging the buff thereby directly affecting the seal? That’s contradictory. It’s the same mechanic It’s just backwards. Again.. I said it was “Sort of Like”

runes are not an extra GCD.. its more like having a shared CD on a number of abilites, but being able to juggle between whats on CD.
    So you're saying it’s not like the GCD because it's more like a Shared CD "on a number of abilities"? That sounds just like the GCD.

You are contradicting yourself constantly. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just don't appreciate you insulting me then going on a rant about how wrong I am while directly contradicting yourself.

Either way have a nice day and a wonderful night.
    (80) - (80)
    - Embrace Your Inner Geek - Gameplay First - Every Voice Matters - Learn & Grow -
    - Lead Responsibly - Commit To Quality - Play Nice, Play Fair - Think Globally -

Quote Originally Posted by fivecb
    Ok so,

I have played a rogue for 2 years and would concider myself experienced. Have ran some end game raids and played arena at a +2k rating.

I have been lvling an undead rogue to switch to from my NE when it dawned on me, I think I want to switch to a DK. I think I'm bored of spamming stunlock combos etc.

Am I making the right decision? I don't know much about the Dk but it looks fun, especially the unholy stuff.
    I personally am very happy with my DK on beta. I played rogue longer than you, so probably I am a bit tired of class itself, but still I find DK a very good and fresh change.

In the end it really comes down to what you expect of your role in pvp and pve. I doubt DK will ever be as good as rogues in DD, but they indeed gives group more utility and can tank. It would be much easier to find party to 5man/heroic as a DK, if you consider tanking ofc.

In PvP deathknight feels different from rogues, but its not as boring as paladings and shamans, at least in my opinion. Im sure that if you're skilled you will be able to get to 2k arena with DK as well as with rogue.

ok so what is THE pvp spec ATM frost?

Stop thinking DKs spec like other classes. They don't. Blizzard has introduced a paradigm shift.

Frost is NOT the 'tanking' spec.

Blood is NOT the 'dps' spec.

Unholy is NOT the 'pvp' spec.

There are talents in every tree that allow you mix and match and build viable spec's for all the above.

There really isnt a PvP spec yet. But most people are using a mixture of Unholy and Frost. Because Unholy applies more powerful Diseases and Frost has powers that react to Diseases with high burst damage.
    (80) - (80)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmageddonX
    There really isnt a PvP spec yet. But most people are using a mixture of Unholy and Frost. Because Unholy applies more powerful Diseases and Frost has powers that react to Diseases with high burst damage.
    At least as many other people are going Unholy-Blood to get the Imp. Rune Tap. 20% heal every 30 sec is big news in PvP.

What we should take away from this is that, for many, unholy is the "base" tree of a PvP spec. However, this could largely be due to the fact that unholy has been relatively strong the last couple of pushes so more beta testers are gravitating towards it and commenting on it.

As far as moving from rogue to DK. You really can't predict these things. Try the DK (for longer than the early quest zone, where you feel hella awesome and get blue rewards every quest) and see where it goes.

I'm a rogue main. The only class I've ever been able to level to 70 other than a rogue was a warrior. That's after Rogueing for 2years (from ~1yr pre-BC) with my highest alt being the shaman i tried before my rogue (made it to lv30). I've done through BWL and I've been into through it all just getting into Sunwell.

I'm bored too. I got a beta key. I love my Death knight. I'm switching come the expansion.

You can't mash buttons as a DK, which is hard for me to adjust to sometimes. Accidentally hitting plague strike, icy touch, or blood boil twice is LAME.
    It's a more patient and deliberate class. You definitely have to plan ahead at least one rotation and be ready to be flexible. Much higher learning curve than my rogue or prot warrior, but I like them a lot.

you might find some similiarity between a rogue and dk if you choose to d-wielding

and the energy concept is very similar to the rune system

i usually prefer comparing dk to feral druids
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

cross a feral druid with a shadow priest and give it a 2 handed sword

^^ yet another attempt at "Dk is like..." humor

All i can honestly say is make one, do the starter zone and then get to 61 and you'll get a rough idea of the class.
    that shouldn't take more than a good dedicated afternoon of gaming.