Question or thoughts for Paladin Tanks

I posted this thread on the priest forums and didn't get much informative feedback so i figured i would post it on your forum since it is relevant to your class, and how you feel about the issue (keep in mind I'm suggesting that you are being healed by a Disc Priest and that's not an option, i know the easy thing to say would be roll holy or get another healer but stay with me plz).

This topic is mainly about Paladins mana in respect to tanking and the effects on it through shields.

I do not have a Paladin on beta or live, so some of the info might not be accurate coming from the Paladins perspective so i encourage you to better inform me on these issues. Keep in mind that 21 talent points are centered around Power Word: Shield and Divine Aegis in the Disc tree atm.

Original Post:

Sorry my post want clear.

I am not talking about Disc Priests "Healing". It is irrelevant whether a paladin tank gets healed with say Flash of Light, Healing Touch, Flash Heal, Healing Wave, or any other healing spell. The fact of the matter is that through Healing (not mitigation PW:S or Divine Aegis) that they receive mana.

Having said this Druids and Warriors still produce rage through both dealing damage and receiving damage. I am unclear as to the specific numbers on how much rage they receive taking damage vs dealing damage. Blizz has said that it has not been an issue on the Beta, so I'm assuming that they are generating enough rage through damage dealt (since the whole tanking and aggro has been changed) and shielding them is not an issue. Yes i understand that this will lower their available rage amount by shielding them and absorbing damage that would have been converted to rage.

It still doesn't answer my question, or my assumptions, that by use of PW:S and Divine Aegis procs will mana starve paladins. I fully understand that PW:S has essentially a 15 second cooldown when cast on 1 individual player and can't be spammed and shouldn't, but Divine Aegis is based on crit so it is still somewhat random.

So theoretically
    1. You shield a Paladin early in a fight (not at the beginning)
    2. They take damage and PW:S absorbs damage and expires (thus reducing the mana they would have gained form healing that amount)
    3. You cast say Penance and get 2 of the 3 ticks as crits thus procing Divine Aegis.
    4. Now the Paladin has a nice 1.5-2k (unsure about the numbers) bubble around them absorbing even more damage. (thus also reducing the mana they would have gained from healing that amount)
    5. Fight continues with healing via Flash Heal, GHeal, Penance, etc and you are continuing producing mini shields on top of crits.
    6. etc... fight continues

As far as i know (mb I'm wrong, I don't read up on changes to Paladins much if at all) Paladins do not restore mana on melee hits. So by keeping them shielded via PW:S and Divine Aegis you are effectively reducing the damage they receive and mitigating the the healing they would have received if shields were not there, thus lowering the mana received. Also take into account that most paladins sacrifice big mana pools for more "tanking" stats.

I know that disc Priests will not have a magic bubble surrounding tanks at all time and we will still need to apply direct heals and HoT's, but buy centering us around more powerful PW:S's and mix in Divine Aegis for mitigation could make it harder for Paladins to tank say vs a Holy Priest or any other healer. But if i were going to go Disc to PvE with i would defiantly bump up crit on my priority in gear. From what I've seen is there's an abundance of crit now on cloth armor so i don't think finding this on gear will be a problem. More crit (which is good in most cases) means more Divine Aegis procs and potential problems.

Maybe it won't be an issue and our shields will be wiped out in 1/2 a hit idno, but i can see how this could be a problem especially when they are having to really blow through mana to fight for aggro.

Hope I've made my concern more clear to you and any feedback is accepted, especially from someone who has had experience healing Paladins on Beta as Disc.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Burning+Blade&cn=Ap%C3%A1che

Re: Question or thoughts for Paladin Tanks

Last time I checked, we don't get mana back from the damage the shield absorbs, however with the upcoming changes to Prot, I really don't see a problem with you shielding more, due to the fact that we have a lot of options in our arsenal for mana regeneration now. New BoSanc, JotW, etc. Just my thoughts though, could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kare
    Last time I checked, we don't get mana back from the damage the shield absorbs, however with the upcoming changes to Prot, I really don't see a problem with you shielding more, due to the fact that we have a lot of options in our arsenal for mana regeneration now. New BoSanc, JotW, etc. Just my thoughts though, could be wrong.
    Nice, as i said i do not regularly follow Paladins in new ability's or revised abilities, but keep in mind that the new talents for PW:S increase it by about 40% (rough estimate using lvl 70 gear and lvl 70 highest rank PW:S) so its not just the weak version that say a holy priest throws on u in a clutch situation. And Divine Aegis for those who don't know throws another shield on ppl when priests ctit absorbing 30% the damage healed.

The new BoSanc changes make it so we get 2% of out max mana back from blocks, parries, and dodges so I don't see any damage absorbtion skills being a problem.

I'd like to see Discipline priests represented in raids.

Though, we might need some to design a Damage Prevented Meter to make sure that they're not slacking off.

Quote Originally Posted by Xephan
    I'd like to see Discipline priests represented in raids.

Though, we might need some to design a Damage Prevented Meter to make sure that they're not slacking off.
    =) nice idea, and yes Disc is going to be a viable Raid spec (wont be the same spec as pvp speced Disc, but that's how it should be imo)