25 man raiding...Paladin tank for a boss?

Just wondering this. Been seeing alot of paladin tank QQ in the forums(and have been a part of it myself). I am wondering if any bosses in 25(!) man raids would be better suited for a paladin. Beisdes the fact that the boss may be demon/undead, or does it even matter anymore, unless u need fear or spell resist/reflect or something

Re: 25 man raiding...Paladin tank for a boss?

I'd say no just to give the poor and now useless prot-warrs something to do lol

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Utonium
    I'd say no just to give the poor and now useless prot-warrs something to do lol
    4 years plus of being the ONLY tank in the game, for vanilla WoW, the start of TBC, and now in sunwell only druids and warriors.

naxx Patchwerk? Hes undead and uses only melee attacks mostly. And is quite fast so holy shield will proc alot hopefully.

I doubt there's a boss where you should use a paladin tank instead of DK, druid or warrior.
    any guild lacking a paladin tank would immediately moan and groan everytime they whiped there for whatever reason. and what I hate as a tank myself more than slackers, is quitters!
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

Quote Originally Posted by velourea
    I doubt there's a boss where you should use a paladin tank instead of DK, druid or warrior.
    any guild lacking a paladin tank would immediately moan and groan everytime they whiped there for whatever reason. and what I hate as a tank myself more than slackers, is quitters!
    slackers make people quit, so when it comes down to it...you hate slackers.

I think part of the problem is that Tankadins excel at demon/undead tanking (Exorcism + Holy Wrath are huge threat builders) which means that we'll either: A) Be the best Naxx tanks or B) Be on par with other tanks in Naxx but be the worst tanks for any non-undead raid (Ulda-place comes to mind).

Exorcism or not, the tank with the most skill and the best gear should tank

Quote Originally Posted by Avance
    qft

Blizzards aims for every Tank Class to be equal in tanking 25er raid bosses. So it may be possible that a few encounters are more likley to one class than to another. But Overall it should be pretty much the same for every tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalash
    Blizzards aims for every Tank Class to be equal in tanking 25er raid bosses. So it may be possible that a few encounters are more likley to one class than to another. But Overall it should be pretty much the same for every tank.
    Like Blizzard has stated, the above is true. Blizzard has said that they are trying to level the board on all tanks, as well as DPS and healers, so that people won't be so picky when it comes to forming a raid, to take one person over another cause of their class. All tanks should be able to tank any of the fights in any of the instances, granted there will be fights were certain tanks excel, but any tank should be able to tank any encounter. I do have a feeling though that when it comes to Undead or Demon instances, Paladins will have a distinct advantage due to Exorcism and Holy Wrath.

Deleted

Well iv never really had a problem tanking bosses. Its just most tankadins are totaly clueless . With the block value boost its really nice for us, since its always been terribly low. On non undead targets i can easyily hit over 1k TPS .

This, for the love of god, THIS. There is no reason that any one TANKING CLASS being played by someone who knows how to tank with their class should not be able to tank any boss at any time for any reason. THAT is what blizzard wants to do. If at any time during the game there is a consensus amongst the community that "Paladins can not tank boss X" then blizzard has simply failed at their stated intentions.

Ive been main tanking all the WOTLK 10 and 25 man instances perfectly fine, if anything I think DK tanks may be a little OP now, their avoidance in full naxx 25 gear borders on 80%, and its really hard to compete with that tbh. Paladins do have more mitigation, but for the majority of fights 80% avoidance with low mitigation, will be better then 55% avoidance with high mitigation.
    @EldacarJS - Warcraft PVP Enthusiast, Theorycrafter, and Blizzard PVP Forum MVP

This has already been quoted twice, but I'd like to remphasize this. THIS. Nothing but this matters. All of the capable tanks in our guild do whatever is asked of them, depending on the most efficient strategy. For example, I wouldn't want a lone pally on Tidewalker and leave a warrior or druid to pick up ALL the murlocs. Other than that, we have a pally tank that takes most things because he's quite good and very experienced. If he's not there, we have warriors and druids who are at the same level and do quite well also. I don't see what's so unsatisfying about laying down a consecrate and holding a load of mobs that would otherwise rape the entire raid. Just because sometimes you're not the all important center of attention doesn't mean you're not a gigantic help to a raid, not matter what kind of tank you are.

We had a Pally tanking everything for us in raids from Kara up until Felmyst when we quit raiding, I don't see with all the buffs how people would question Pally MTs in WotLK, if we did just fine in TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarzi
    slackers make people quit, so when it comes down to it...you hate slackers.
    unlucky pulls, accidental whipes and just about anything makes people scream out frustration nowadays
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

Shield of Righteousness LOL good luck getting threat off that, pala tanks are fucking insane, especially with divine plea they run oom less, and sanc gives them even more mana back, their burst threat is fucking huge and will be even more sustainable in wrath.

If it weren't for vigilance, I'd want a paladin tanking fucking everything :P

warritank Aggro is insane too, Shieldslam popping ~4k in T6gear, Revenge 2,5k same gear etc. TC on multitargets, Shockwave up to 1,5k... no way a DD can outaggro that. And in case someone does we have vigilance..