Elemental Shaman PVE

I know this is a long post - but i need to vent. :-[

I have been testing my elemental shaman on the ptr and do not like what I see. My gear is a mixture of Kara/ZA/Badge and I have around 1000 spell power and 24%crit, about 1150 on the ptr with a crit of 29%. The extra crit is nice, but is going to go down as I am going to have to replace my crit gems with spell hit – to make up for my once hit capped, to now needing 9% which has been taken away in talents.

I am finding the dps very inconsistent and very low compared to other classes on the ptr. Testing it on the dummies, I range anywhere between 1200-1600dps(rare).
    That is using thunderstrike, which does not have much of a place in raiding, which is what I do most. (That is another thing I’m not too happy with, although it is really fun in pvp, this new spell for shamans, does not have much of a place in raids, only to return mana on boss fights – where there is no fear of knockback)

The argument from the blue post saying that elemental shamans are above the tanks and healers in dps, is a ridiculous waste of space. Every dps class should be above healers & tanks. Going from the top part of the dps in a raid, to the bottom is a not why I picked an elemental shaman, or why we are going to be picked for raids over other classes.

And the other blue post saying that our damage is going to be increased with CoE, is a pointless and a poor argument. Every other caster was, and still is buffed by this, so I can’t see why they are making such a big point that our damage will increase, (if iCoE is active) as most other classes damage is/always has increased.

I respecced enhancement to try it out, and with my elemental gear, 800AP and scryers blade of focus (41.3 dps) in my main hand and another dagger 66.9dps in other hand, I got over 1000dps on the test dummies. Considering I have never played enhancement before, this means that the potential for an experienced and geared player, is much more than I am finding as an equivalent geared elemental.

Not happy to see elmentals fall behind the other classes with the new patch!

How are others finding their dps on the ptr?

Re: Elemental Shaman PVE

I'm finding an incredible increase, actually. My alt shaman is in tier 4/pvp gear, and his spell damage and crit both went up on the PTR. Where on live I could sustain about 1250DPS for about 2 minutes before being OOM (yeah, i know, gear sucks) I can now pull off 1650 DPS for 5 minutes, using thunderstrike every time it's up.

I don't know what it's like for more highly geared ele shamans, but i am extremely happy with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mora
    I'm finding an incredible increase, actually. My alt shaman is in tier 4/pvp gear, and his spell damage and crit both went up on the PTR. Where on live I could sustain about 1250DPS for about 2 minutes before being OOM (yeah, i know, gear sucks) I can now pull off 1650 DPS for 5 minutes, using thunderstrike every time it's up.

I don't know what it's like for more highly geared ele shamans, but i am extremely happy with it so far.
    undeargeared > your static +dmg from FT and ToW will make up for LB coef loss, however i can hardly believe u were puling 400 dps more. pproperly geared shaman will se plain and simple nerf in personal dmg outside of raids and less scalling overall

The comparison of damage because of raid buffs was made because most of the dps testing done by locks/balance druids/unholy DKs have their own debuff to help their damage while elemental shaman dont... so in a raid environment elemental should see an immediate 13% increase while those other classes already had it

Even with that being said we still need some buffs.... a talent that allows LB to scale better with spell power imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mora

Tier 4 is where I used to almost outdps anyone. It is the tiers after that the damage really started to plateau. On Brutallus tonight for example, I came 10th on DPS. (I did get burned twice).

On the PTR, self buffed with Flametongue and with totems up, I seem to be hitting a bit less than I do now. That's expected, Ive read that was going to happen. The Devs keep going on about COE, how that will help in a raid situation to bring the damage back up. I understand that (though I pity those who don't raid, and PVP or 5 man).

MortuariusBC pretty much nailed it with what he said though. We really need to scale better. I'm struggling to keep up now, but come the expansion, so many other classes will scale better due to talents that increase their coefficients, or increase their spellpower by a percentage of their intellect or spirit. This is why we're hearing Elemental Shaman on Patchwerk who are barely ahead of Prot tanks on DPS, and Theorycrafters like EJ say we'll be left behind.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?