Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is this 34/32/5 Tanking Build Viable?

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=sVhdgMkhfzhZ0xVAbuRpZx

I put 34 points into Holy, 32 into Prot and 5 into Ret Trees.

My main purpose is to find the ultimate defensive build.

I also heard that threat scales so well in wotlk that it shouldnt be a problem in threat management.

So i put 3/3 Blessed Life (all attacks against you have a 10% chance to cause half damage)
    This skill seems so awesome for tanks. Imagine Bosses that usually 1 shot you, now needs 2 shots lol.

Holy shock is instant cast for a lot of holy damage (helps with pulling and threat building)

I think Ardent Defender is useless. Heavy bosses dont give u time to stay alive after 35%. Healers don't usually keep u below 35%, unless they love to scare u.

I find redoubt useless. Block doesnt seem so important now that crushing blows are removed.

The only skill i regret not getting is Guarded by the Light. 6% spell dmg reduction is awesome, but not enough points...

P.S. anyone in beta care to test this build? I dont have access to Beta so i cant try it myself. This is based on theory crafting and I am not sayin it will work.

Re: Is this 34/32/5 Tanking Build Viable?

i guess it can work for 5man but........ no ?

Sure, blessed life is good, but let's consider what you'd have to give up in this build:

- Ardent Defender. Okay.
    - 6% Stamina.
    - 6% Crit (Holy Power does not effect Seal Procs and Melee attacks)
    - 6 Expertise
    - 30% Block Value.
    - Your Stamina -> Spell Power Conversion. Skip this and you forfeit all of your threat scaling.
    - 20% Enemy Attack Speed Slow
    - 6% Spell Mitigation
    - Avenger's Shield
    - Hammer of the Righteous.

All of that, just for Holy Shock and a 10% chance to take half damage per hit seems like a no-brainer to me.

Block value is useless as we all know it, cept for warriors.

6% stam? can live without it

converting stam to spell power? def gen less threat but like i said, threat issues shouldnt be a problem in wotlk

and avenger's shield is only for start pulling, holy shock can replace that.

same for the last skill.

10% chance to take half dmg is actually very imba. 10% may not seem like a lot, but when it does proc, it can save a lot of dmg esp in boss fights.

20% enemy slow doesnt stack with druid's one. any feral druid will have it, so long as one is in your raid. So we can skip that

''Block value is useless as we all know it, cept for warriors''

someone put that ona sig plz

so with block value, u get to reduce 50 damage from a 2k+ damage boss whack? Sure sounds pretty. I think armor scales better in terms of % reduction than points. and warriors got block value only caz they shield bash scaled with it.

Did i mention u need to actually block with your shield first? unless block chance is 100%, may not happen often

Btw im talking about survivability here, not about a build with the most threat output

unless i'm mistaken, shield of the righteous scales with block value.

but you're still retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceivy
    so with block value, u get to reduce 50 damage from a 2k+ damage boss whack? Sure sounds pretty. I think armor scales better in terms of % reduction than points. and warriors got block value only caz they shield bash scaled with it.

Did i mention u need to actually block with your shield first? unless block chance is 100%, may not happen often
    Dude, what kinda gear are you using if you only reduce a "boss whack" by 50 when you block?

I'm a ret pala on live, and in my crappy off-spec prot gear I got like 700 block or so. And I can assure you that as a Paladin you're gonna block fairly often, I got ~65% block or so, with either Holy Shield or Redoubt going. Not the best but that would still beat your "10% chance to reduce an attack by 50%"

Unless it changed since last time I looked, Avenger's Shield is going to be instant instead of cast time, making it useful for during-fight threat as well. And it'll be so much better than holy shock, since you'll be wearing warrior gear with no spell damage on it.

Btw im talking about survivability here, not about a build with the most threat output
    Ummm, in 3.0, with the same gear i have on live, at 70 i have over 900 block value (since strength has a better conversion to block value now), thats a lot of damage reduction. And you don't need 100% block to block every attack since if you still have dodge and parry. Also at 75 we get a shield slam-like ability as well based on our block value.

it has a good thought behind it, lots of holy dmg, avoidance, dmg reduction and chance for half dmg, so all the tanking stuff, mitigation and threat generation. but yea there is way to much down the tree that your missing, more stam, more spell dmg from stam not int, since you won;t get any on tanking gear. and if you plan on going woith a melee weapon like your suposed to for the stam hit expertise and def rating on them, hammer of the righteous is amazing and you shouldn't give it up for RNG mechanics, good idea, but yea the holy pally tank idea died when the game first came out, stick with the prot tree it's there for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienda
    Unless it changed since last time I looked, Avenger's Shield is going to be instant instead of cast time, making it useful for during-fight threat as well. And it'll be so much better than holy shock, since you'll be wearing warrior gear with no spell damage on it.
    Yeah Avenger's Shield is instant, and if you glyph it for single target threat, it's critting for around 4500ish at 70.

In the first place block only works against melee attacks. but what about spells?

ive heard tanks with 20-30k hp buffed taking 3-4 shots from bosses and dying. and most of those bosses use spells or something of the like

hard to say what kind of bosses there will be in wotlk or if they hurt more than now

In the first place block only works against melee attacks. but what about spells?

ive heard tanks with 20-30k hp buffed taking 3-4 shots from bosses and dying. and most of those bosses use spells or something of the like

hard to say what kind of bosses there will be in wotlk or if they hurt more than now
    The only bosses i can even think of in current content who's main ability is spell based and not melee are tanked by mages or locks or in full resist gear. Mgt version of Kael? I guess?

I meant bosses that do both melee and spells. not just spells only

i dont think locks can tank melee hits.

Assuming that your argument (or question) is along the lines of "Is block not as good as it could be because Bosses do spell damage in addition to melee?", you're still forgetting that this build skips the 6% Spell Mitigation talent in protection, so the point is moot anyway.

^ that. And if you're now saying bosses that have BOTH melee and spell attacks, you're back to block being a vital source of damage reduction.

Although, what i'm about to say isn't 100% correct I will say it anyway.

10% chance to reduce the damage taken by 50%.

That averages on a fight to be 5% mitigation, making other talents better.

It's not a good build because you're giving up too much useful survival talents as well as threat talents for others in the holy tree that are no where near as valuable. Since you'll be wearing tank gear, holy shock will be completely useless as you won't have the stam->sp conversion talent. Ardent defender is debatable, but giving up the other talents with additional health, spell mitigation and block for one that grants a 1 in 10 chance to reduce damage is ridiculous.