Prot pally weapons...

I'm looking to find some research done on prot pally weapons, TPS numbers, damage, if weapon speed plays a factor, talent specs, etc.

In my own personal findings on the ptr, its seems weapon speed is irrelevant, dps is higher with my old spell damage mace, and i dont have a working threat meter, though i hear Diamond is working.

Oh, and I could care less about aoe tanking, im talking about single target threat, since no class in the game should be solely viable for large groups of mobs and then goes back to being worthless when there's only one mob before them.

But, again, if anyone has any links or some constructive input, im all for it. ;D

Re: Prot pally weapons...

From testing on the PTR I've found that The Brutalizer from Supremus is the best weapon for us since 90% of tank weapons have expertise (we don't need expertise unless you plan on building aggro using only seals and retribution aura) and haste, this has defense with a nice stamina boost.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerelic
    I'm looking to find some research done on prot pally weapons, TPS numbers, damage, if weapon speed plays a factor, talent specs, etc.

In my own personal findings on the ptr, its seems weapon speed is irrelevant, dps is higher with my old spell damage mace, and i dont have a working threat meter, though i hear Diamond is working.

Oh, and I could care less about aoe tanking, im talking about single target threat, since no class in the game should be solely viable for large groups of mobs and then goes back to being worthless when there's only one mob before them.

But, again, if anyone has any links or some constructive input, im all for it. ;D
    If you hate aoe tanking I would reroll, because in a raid or on trash if there are hard aoe pulls going on then it will be the paladin with the IC Avengers shield that will fit the bill nicely.

As for single targer threat gen.

Caster weaons have a a flat lower bottom and top end weapon damage. But in comparison to end game with all that AP, who knows how much 30-40dps less will make a difference.

The other point to note is that they do have faster swing speeds which can be good.

The only issue is if a tanking weapon will be needed when you face reaching the defense cap.

I would speculate that a caster dps weapon with spell hit would be the most ideal item if you prefer a spell caster weapon.

I have actually had friends that recommend and dps weapon as an alternative too.

Supposedly, having a high dps tanking weapon is better for up to three targets (HotR), however, more than that it's better to have a high spell power weapon, due to Consecrate scaling better with SP than AP. I don't have sources for this, however, so take it with a grain of salt. It's just what I remember reading from one of our more illustrious forum members.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...ic.php?t=12786

As Tankadin my self i found this a good read

Quote Originally Posted by Nevo!
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...ic.php?t=12786

As Tankadin my self i found this a good read
    Thank you very much, exactly the kind of research i was looking for, it shows a direct comparison between tanking and caster weapons.

Ok so most people agree 3 mobs or less use a melee dps weapon for (hotr) , above 3 mobs use a caster weapon. My question is level 70 through 74 is a caster weapon going to be the weapon of choice untill you get (hotr) at 75?

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Clasifyd
    Supposedly, having a high dps tanking weapon is better for up to three targets (HotR), however, more than that it's better to have a high spell power weapon, due to Consecrate scaling better with SP than AP. I don't have sources for this, however, so take it with a grain of salt. It's just what I remember reading from one of our more illustrious forum members.
    Please do not make these assumptions. Consecration scales equally with spell power and attack power.

Consecration
    Rank 8 lvl80 Consecrates the land beneath the Paladin, doing [ 32% of AP + 32% of Spell Power + 904 ] Holy damage over 8 sec to enemies who enter the area.
    22% of base mana, Instant cast, 8 sec cool down.

Just to let people know here is the break down:

Shield of Righteousness & HotRighteous scale only from Str.

Seal of Blood
    lvl64 All melee attacks deal [ 28% of mw ] to [ 28% of MW ] additional Holy damage, but the Paladin loses health equal to 10% of the total damage inflicted. Lasts 2 min.
    Unleashing this Seal's energy will judge an enemy, instantly causing [ 20% of AP + 32% of Spell Power + 45% of mw ] to [ 20% of AP + 32% of Spell Power + 45% of MW ] Holy damage at the cost of health equal to 33% of the damage caused.
    14% of base mana, Instant cast

Seal of Vengeance
    lvl64 Fills the Paladin with holy power, causing attacks to apply Holy Vengeance, which deals [ 19.2% of AP + 9.6% of Spell Power ] additional Holy damage over 15 sec. Holy Vengeance can stack up to 5 times. Only one Seal can be active on the Paladin at any one time. Lasts 2 min.
    Unleashing this Seal's energy will deal [ 17.5% of AP + 28% of Spell Power + 1 ] Holy damage to an enemy, increased by 10% for each application of Holy Vengeance on the target.
    14% of base mana, Instant cast

Everything else scales equally, except for Holy shield which I still think is only Sp.

On the PTR I would say it's still a toss up between spell damage and AP for threat. But after we get shield slam plus HotR then strength > spell power.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    On the PTR I would say it's still a toss up between spell damage and AP for threat. But after we get shield slam plus HotR then strength > spell power.
    Yes but this is about weapons.

High Top and High Low end damage = Threat for HotRighteous.

After that you have 3 weapon choices.

Spell Weapons =

Stm, Int, Sp Pwr, Crit, Hit, Stm

Tanking Weapons =

Maybe Armor, Def, Hit, Expertise

DPS Weapons =

Stm, Agi/Str, Attack Power, hit, and crit.

I would argue when choosing a weapon that it should fill in the role that you need.

If you do take a caster weapon it needs to be one that does have average or above average stm. Like one that would be used in battle grounds or pvp. It should have hit over crit and haste. It needs to be serious dps.

If you take a tanking weapon, well your a tank and its a tanking weapon.

If you take a melee dps weapon. This would be awesome for HotR. It needs to have high AP, it would be best to have str over agi if that is possible. (IT seems 2H weasons are being used by those in need of str, while 1h are those in need of agi more). After that then hit rating over crit and AP.

Question thought? If you change out a weapon mid swing does it reset your swing?

Because if you wanted to get clever could you not: Macro in a melee dps weapon for using HotR and Shield of Righteous then go back for the other abilites?

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo

Question thought? If you change out a weapon mid swing does it reset your swing?

Because if you wanted to get clever could you not: Macro in a melee dps weapon for using HotR and Shield of Righteous then go back for the other abilites?
    Yes.

It resets your swing timer and adjusts it to the weapon speed of the new weapon. Basically if you're using say a 1.6 speed weapon, and then swap to a 2.5 speed weapon; you'll have to wait 2.5 seconds after you swapped before a regular hit will occur. While you could instantly use HotR or ShoR right after a swap, you'd still have to wait that additional 2.5 seconds to get another normal hit in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.