Thread: Tanking tree?

Tanking tree?

Terribly sorry if this is a noob question, or if it's been asked before. But I thought I had this right.

What tree is the main "tanking" tree and what kind of weapon are you supposed to use? 2 handed? Dual wield?

Also, if you're raiding as DPS. Which tree do you think will give the most benefit to the raid as a whole (Buffs, debuffs) but at the same time provide decent DPS?

Thanks in advance.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

Re: Tanking tree?

The blood tree is the tanking tree.
    The frost tree is the tanking tree.
    The unholy tree is the tanking tree.
    The blood tree is the dps tree.
    The frost tree is the dps tree.
    The unholy tree is the dps tree.

You can dps or tank with any tree. It comes down to personal preference and how you want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    The blood tree is the tanking tree.
    The frost tree is the tanking tree.
    The unholy tree is the tanking tree.
    The blood tree is the dps tree.
    The frost tree is the dps tree.
    The unholy tree is the dps tree.

You can dps or tank with any tree. It comes down to personal preference and how you want to play.
    Best way to tank imo is a mixture of all three at least when it comes to bigger raids, there are some talents about midway down in every tree that are useful to tanking and most of the lower ones are not so useful for tanking.

Thats just from what i've looked at *shrug* wont know for sure till i actually test it, but my DK isnt high enough yet.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Actually you usually go deep into 1 tree, and then pick up a few of the early talents from the other trees.

For example if i tank in beta, i go to 51 into unholy, picking up all the talents i see tankworthy. Then i go 5 into blood for blade barrier, and 11 into Frost for lichborne. Or perhaps the other way around, 5 into frost and 11+ into blood.

There is a lot of preferential customization now with the tank builds. That goes for a lot of tanks.

They can all tank and DPS in their own style all equally (blood is a little weaker to tank with, with crapper 'oh shit' buttons)

Blood - Focuses on melee damage and self healing. Crap at AoE tanking and DPS but great single target damage.
    Frost - Focuses on control and more burst potential. Good single target damage and debuffs/buffs and also can cause massive burst AoE.
    Unholy - Focuses on AoE damage, diseases and ghouls. Good single target damage but has the best AoE abilities out of the three specs.

IN my opinion Frost looks like the most flexible tanking tree. Though it is not as good at aoe tanking as Unholly, you do get Howling Blast Which is a pretty powerful AoE. While having (probably) the best single target threat out of the 3 trees and the extra avoidance from Frigid Deadplate.

But like the others have said you can tank with any of the trees. I just think that Frost is probably the best main tank spec while Unholy or Blood would (probably) be better as an off-tank (especially unholy as an AoE off-tank).

Quote Originally Posted by Keile
    Best way to tank imo is a mixture of all three at least when it comes to bigger raids, there are some talents about midway down in every tree that are useful to tanking and most of the lower ones are not so useful for tanking.

Thats just from what i've looked at *shrug* wont know for sure till i actually test it, but my DK isnt high enough yet.
    Yeah tri-spec... little bit of everything and suck at all of it. No thanks, you miss out on way too many good things by not going deep in the frost or unholy trees.