Best moneymaking prof?

What's going to be the biggest moneymaker profession come wotlk? Rank em if you like. Please do NOT include gathering professions because they all make great money and isn't debatable.

Enchanting -
    - With scrolls could make alot of money in an easier fashion.
    - Really nice for levelling up in wotlk with DEing all unusable items into usable mats.
    - Alot of enchanters already around so lots of competition.
    - Enchants are expensive.
    - With enchants still dropping in instances it creates a nice moneymaker if it drops for you.

Jewelcrafting -
    - People switch out gems all the time.
    - Patterns are now bought via tokens, makes it a little easier to obtain which hurts money flow
    - Are epic gems still buyable via new badge of justice tokens?

Inscription -
    - Could be few people hitting the market (at least at first) with high end inscriptions.
    - Inscriptions cheap to make and wont sell for a whole lot in the long run (when market balances)
    - Inscriptions will switch around when you use duel spec in future patch (instead of the person having to buy more to switch them)

Alchemy -
    - Flasks return to being what is used in raids, is there a new shattrath flask of whatever to partially kill flask sales?
    - Elixirs return to being useful and awesome.
    - Mana/Health pots going way down. No longer multiple chugs in combat.

Blacksmithing -
    - In my opinion, no way. great for self-buff tho (covered in a different thread)

LWing -
    - Same as BS

Tailoring -
    - Same as BS

Engineering -
    - Motorbikes?

Re: Best moneymaking prof?

I never took a profession for money. There is always going to be someone out there to undercut you. I make coin here and there from catching people in /trade.

I could never understand the "sit in city spam trade" for gold when you could be out doing quest instances etc for gold....
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Thanks kin, wow i cant believe i forgot alchemy! Anyway feel free to list them in order of what will be the best or choose a couple that you think will take the cake.

Inscription and Enchanting will probably take the cake in the start, few mats and new awesome enchants. Prices through the roof. Shit load of cash.

JC, enchanting, alchemy will always be great "money" professions. If inscription swapping is as cheap as everyone say it is, I doubt it will make near the same money as the others.

Lest we forget engi motorcycles. ;D

Ulrik.

Engineering again I think, they get a thing just like the mote extractor and a helmet to track clouds.

Enchanting after that in the start atleast.

It all comes down to your ability (or lack thereof) in getting the rare patterns/formulas, etc...

If you are a raider, etc.. and have access to the high-end stuff (or are willing to farm patterns) once for once I think Jewelcrafting will be the way to go. The only reason I think this is because it seems like a lot of the Enchanting things will be easier to get in Wrath than it was in BC. Therefore, there will be more and with the addition of scrolls it will increase the supply, while only minimally increasing demand.

If you are willing to drop 2000-4000g on JC'ing patterns (assuming they do a similar thing in Wrath that they did in BC) and can get a lot of the great rare JC'ing patterns off the bat, you can make a killing on them...

I also would put inscription into that mix - but the fact that there are going to be sooo many of them, again, I think will diminish demand, because there will be so much in supply.

Alchemy has never really been a cash cow.. you can make some decent money off it, but as a general rule of thumb.. guilds have their guildies create them, they aren't buying them off the AH. Sure you have people buying pots, flasks and such and you'll get some money out of it but I don't think it will be in the realm of JC'ing/Inscription.

Just my 2 cents... could be very wrong... who knows.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Froppy
    It all comes down to your ability (or lack thereof) in getting the rare patterns/formulas, etc...

If you are a raider, etc.. and have access to the high-end stuff (or are willing to farm patterns) once for once I think Jewelcrafting will be the way to go. The only reason I think this is because it seems like a lot of the Enchanting things will be easier to get in Wrath than it was in BC. Therefore, there will be more and with the addition of scrolls it will increase the supply, while only minimally increasing demand.

Bam de bam! scroll further down to get JC info.

If you are willing to drop 2000-4000g on JC'ing patterns (assuming they do a similar thing in Wrath that they did in BC) and can get a lot of the great rare JC'ing patterns off the bat, you can make a killing on them...

In wrath you do not get the recipes for the gems by drops or AH, you simply get them from daily quests you can do in Dalaran. This makes the whole JC moneymaking thing bad.

I also would put inscription into that mix - but the fact that there are going to be sooo many of them, again, I think will diminish demand, because there will be so much in supply.

As you said, there will be incredibly many Inscripters, so the demand will go down, decreasing the cost of the glyphs. Currently on the Beta servers (Yes, I know, it's beta, but still!) the cost for glyphs are around 2-3g ~. Bad profession.

Alchemy has never really been a cash cow.. you can make some decent money off it, but as a general rule of thumb.. guilds have their guildies create them, they aren't buying them off the AH. Sure you have people buying pots, flasks and such and you'll get some money out of it but I don't think it will be in the realm of JC'ing/Inscription.

Alchemy will not be very much worth in wrath, as you can only chug one potion per combat. This will largely decrease the cost of potions, hence making it a very non-profitable profession.

Just my 2 cents... could be very wrong... who knows.
    This was not made to offense you, just to correct you.

Back on topic. I think that gathering professions are most likely going to be the most profitable professions yet again. Even though, if everyone takes the gathering professions and noone takes the professions that uses the gathered items, they will fall largely in cost.

It all comes back to the single servers prices of stuff, and depends a lot on how people choose their professions.

Please read my original post. Do not include gather profs because we all know they make good money, they always do. This is more about which of the other profs will make the most. ;D

at a certain point it comes down to luck of the drops. I have YET to see either the soulfrost or surefooted recipe drop EVER from kara, with easily 150+ runs between all 3 of my toons who have max enchanting for raiding. Just bad luck on my part I think. That being said I got mongoose pretty quick and thats the real moneymaker.

Enchanting / JC / Alchemy are always gonna be good money makers if you dont mind being undercut on the AH and are patient. Herbing and Mining will probably always remain the best 2 ways to make money though.
    Thats why you have farm alts.
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

I'm glad that Blizzard cares about the little things...

Gathering makes the most money, by far.

If you are not guilded, or befriended, then you will have to buy inscriptions and enchants and gems. They will cost money. Whether some scrubs sells it all for 2g or the only guy replying asks for 30g.... depends on server.

Same can be said for tailoring, BS and LW. All these had items from which you could make money. Profit by getting the patterns and selling the items. Only last week I answered a random request for belt of the long road, made it, and he gave me a 50g tip. I had asked for absolutely no money, just left it up to him. The spellthreads were always profitable before nethers were tradeable. Same with armour patches, and with the BS resistance sets (though they were usually guild-made). Now BS can sell extra sockets.... BONUS!

Engineering is a great profession, if it gets even slightly decent level 80 goggles I will keep it. Mote extracting is just awesome. The motorbike mats will sell well. As will the craft itself.

Anyway. Choose for other reasons than profit. The people who make money with their professions will do it with ANY profession. Those who don't, never will, on account of having the wrong mentality. Making gold is a skill, and based largely on attititude. Although auctioneer is a massive help I am told. Seems like cheating to me

Quote Originally Posted by Fujiama
    This was not made to offense you, just to correct you.

Back on topic. I think that gathering professions are most likely going to be the most profitable professions yet again. Even though, if everyone takes the gathering professions and noone takes the professions that uses the gathered items, they will fall largely in cost.

It all comes back to the single servers prices of stuff, and depends a lot on how people choose their professions.
    No offense taken!

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but all JC'ing, Enchanting AND Inscription patterns are going to be primarily dailies/rep based and not BOE drops? Are there a great many that are even in instances, like BOP ones (Mongoose/Executioner, etc...) in Wrath?

I haven't kept up to date too well on where they are coming from, but I definitely noticed Enchanting seemed to be much easier to procure in beta, but I don't have an inscriptionist in beta and the prices were astrononimical (obviously! but even for beta) so I assumed they were drops/rep, not primarily anything else.

Hopefully between the 4 then (alchemy, enchanting, inscription, jewelcrafting) the ability to make money will all be sorta even.

I think of Leatherworking, BS'ing, and Tailoring are all primarily for the gear and never really a good money maker. There's some money to made in LW'ing out of any of them, assuming they continue with the leg enchants (which I believe they have).

If you have a 375 of the top 4... I'd just keep it. If you are thinking of dropping one for another... I'd wait until after a month or so of Wrath being out... hopefully some of the prices and things will stabilize. My "main" is an Enchanter/Miner and I'm dropping Mining for Inscription. I have 4 other 70's with 375 profs x 2, so I have everything covered except Blacksmithing ('cuz I think it sux!) I believe none of the professions are going to be huge money makers like they were in BC tho!

again, just my 2 cents.

You shouldnt really pick a prof based on how much gold it can generate. On my main i have mining/blacksmithing
    mining actually bought ALL of my riding training and mounts, blacksmithing on the other hand was a huge goldsuck but i got my epic axe from it...it used to be the best axe in the game. Also making the Resist sets for tanking is a plus but ive not made 1000g using blacksmithing but the prof serves me well.

Basically what i'm trying to say if you are looking for prof to only make gold you are only hurting yourself in the end and will have to spend money on the stuff you can be making yourself.

Do what i did lvl alts and max professions with each one.(if your main is a miner your alt can have JC mastered at lvl 35, ect)
    Yes you are still the worst moderator on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    So unless you have a source besides your rectum, we'd appreciate if you didn't spread misinformation

quick questions for those in beta.

Are jewelcrafting recipes gained from high end raiding? (like they were with Mount Hyjal rep)

Are enchanting recipes still dropping in high end instances or are they too bought with tokens?

How are new inscriptions dropping? high end raids? tokens? the milling for new recipe thing?

Any of these things will heavily influence the price.

I have alt toons with mining/herbalism and engineering/enchanting. I've made money from them all, but engineering (mote extracting) helped me make the bulk of my gold. I don't have a toon with Jewelcrafting, but I believe I could've made a nice amount with that profession as well.

This will depend on your server's economy -

Mining/Herbalism - depending on what people needed at the moment, a stack of ore/herb would sell up to 50g for me. On average ~27-30g.

Enchanting - for mats, you have to raid, run instances, or farm an area for drops. Made a nice amount running pre-BC instances for level 51-60 enchanting mats.

Engineering - this was fun. If I farmed 1 hr/day I made ~350g per hour. I got so into farming for a while that I was able to accumulate enough gold to buy epic flying mounts for my (3) 70s and have tons leftover.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknot
    I never took a profession for money. There is always going to be someone out there to undercut you. I make coin here and there from catching people in /trade.

I could never understand the "sit in city spam trade" for gold when you could be out doing quest instances etc for gold....
    people do strange things,I have a guildie who is the ceo of a private hospital,he loves his shaman never misses a raid ,and hates pvp with a passion,or so we thought.

turns out he gets up 2 hours before work and spends a good hour everyday scaning the auction house as if it was the stock market,he buys up everything posted below market value and marks them up and reposts for profitable sale.

hes been pvping all along,just in the futures market not the battlegrounds or arena.were not sure which part of the game he enjoys more clearing all of the burning crusade before brutalis or being our servers version of nelson rockefeller.his profession choices are always tied into "the market"

To be honest I think Jewelcrafting will always dominate the market gold wise (not counting gathering professions).

I'm 375 Mining/JC. I don't really that much money off of selling regular cut gems. Honestly whenever I'm in a major city and I see "LF JC cut [gem name]" and I just cut the gem and get like a 10g tip usually. That's how I make money off of normal gems, but any good JC'er knows that's not how you make the big bucks with JC.

Meta Gems. Rep grinding and drops for meta gem cuts are how you make the big bucks. The dailies are not going to give you recipes for EVERY meta cut. To be honest, the system they're implementing is not any different then what they have now, it's just a different currency. I mean if you think about it you can do Isle dailes and get 100g for 10 quests on the Isle. Once you become exalted with SSO you can buy any epic recipe along with a few blue ones. So you basically do dailies to get gold and to buy the recipes, only difference is WotLK there is no other way to get the tokens (which act as the currency or 'gold') other than dailies so it will take a bit longer.
    Due to this the market will not be inflated at all. No one is going to have all the recipes for a long time. Now, if every single person bought the exact same recipes with their tokens every single time, then yea, but statistically that's not going to happen. Yes, I know some gems will be more popular than others, but like I said, no one is going to pick all of the same gems. Plus, theres two sides to the spectrum, PvE gems are usually red, yellow and orange; PvP gems are usually blue, purple, and green, so either recipes you decide to choose there will always be buyers. People are always upgrading their gear and needing new gems. Plus, if you have Mining with JC, and if you luckily loot a gem out of a node, that is 100% pure profit. No other profession combination has that. Gear is constantly being upgraded

Also, I have no idea how people think that inscription is going to benefit enchanting. Enchanters now, do you ever sell full enchants? or do you get someone asking for an enchant with their mats? I also have a 375 enchanter with a lot of popular enchants (Mongoose, Sunfire, Boar's Speed, Executioner...etc) and I honestly have not sold a single high-end enchant (mats and all), sure I've sold assault and cheap enchants to twinks or whatever. But now, people who farm instances and heroics will get the mats (from DE'ing and such) and will post these rare enchants for dirt cheap. Enchanting has never had a chance to be undercut by competitors, unless you charge for enchants and someone else is shouting a lower price in Trade.

Inscription, will make hardly any money if it stays the way it is. From what I've heard a stack of glyphs cost like 8g-10g in mats, which is nothing. Maybe the higher end glyphs will cost more to make but Blizz has not shown any hints to this.

In response to the poster that said "You shouldn't really pick professions based on gold income," Umm I have no idea how you made sense of that statement in your mind.

At least during the initial phase of the game, there won't be any money in inscription. Everyone will be power leveling that one.