Ret with a 1h and Shield

Is this a viable setup? With Spellpower shields and 1h weapons would this work decently with a Ret build?
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Re: Ret with a 1h and Shield

shockadins worked also but never played one
    if u mean spellpower based damage paly whit retri spec im clueless

shields work well when you know theres a rogue around. pop on your 2h after their stun and go to town.

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

Seeing as a lot of their damage is based of weapon damage, I doubt it.

Crusader strike - weapon damage
    divine storm - weapon damage
    melee - well duh

So that leaves the seal and judgement (hammer of wrath at 35-%) that use both spellpower and attackpower, seeing as rets get spellpower from attackpower too I really don't see how your idea could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Panoramixe
    Seeing as a lot of their damage is based of weapon damage, I doubt it.

Crusader strike - weapon damage
    divine storm - weapon damage
    melee - well duh

So that leaves the seal and judgement (hammer of wrath at 35-%) that use both spellpower and attackpower, seeing as rets get spellpower from attackpower too I really don't see how your idea could work.
    Thanks.

What are you looking to use it for? I guess against melee in PvP you might gain a slight bonus by using a shield, but damage wise its not viable for anything. Shield of Righteousness isnt enough damage to make up for loosing a 2hander.

Sidenote: deep prot/ret spec with ret gear is sick for trash tanking Lots of HotR damage

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleface
    What are you looking to use it for? I guess against melee in PvP you might gain a slight bonus by using a shield, but damage wise its not viable for anything. Shield of Righteousness isnt enough damage to make up for loosing a 2hander.

Sidenote: deep prot/ret spec with ret gear is sick for trash tanking Lots of HotR damage
    Mainly to just level and or do stupid stuff. Im not into PvP that much and I have 5 70s. I figure I would "untank" my Pally and do something different with her.

I thought a decent 1h melee with SP on it and a shield would be different/fun. I wasn't expecting to go out and beat the crap out of everyone. Just figured someone seeing a 1h/Shield would think tank and attack me different... who knows I may do it anyway its only gold.

Actually, only the masochists would attack you as it would take too long to kill prot pallies.

I'm building a holy spec with 80% ret skills (including CS). My gear will be all +healing for the "Survivadin" route with Sheath of Light and instant heals from CS and Judgement crits (even if CS hits pathetically low). I'm also looking forward to 10k holy lights with a 6k HoT to make up for my pathetic dmg. This concept doesn't even bring into acct dps so its more of a side-thought.

It is "possible" to build a Ret 1h w/ melee gear, just not for ton of damage. Crusader Strike with a 1h spell dmg weap isn't a great idea...slightly better would be with a DPS 1h so you can shield of righteous as well (but half your abilities use base weapon damage an SoCommand favors slow weaps) . I don't think your going to get enough shield block value to make the SoRighteousness make up for the lack of a real dps weap. If you really want to thug away with a 1h either go Neo-Shock/Holy with Holy Shock talented or go deep Prot and enjoy lasting forever. Ultimately you need the biggest-baddest 2h because you surely don't have the mitigation to play long pew pew with the Rogue's and Hunters w/o talents like redoubt and holy shield.

The cool thing is that a decent Ret gear set makes a decent Prot gear set these days (as its mostly str/agil/attk power) stuff. The only difference is the talents and the 1h & board vs the 2hander. It's not like you have to totally re-gear for spell dmg+. I would pick up a decent shield and 1h from the quests in Northrend and give it a shot...my guess is the dps you would lose wouln't make up for the survivability making you a very meager off-tank at best.

Honestly, if you want to use a 1h and a shield as ret, use a good tanking shield and a dps mainhand with seal of corruption/vengeance. The judgment itself crits for ridiculous (10% more damage on each application of seal of corruption) and the damage with your one hander won't be completely pathetic.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Azerlin
    Actually, only the masochists would attack you as it would take too long to kill prot pallies.
    Applies only to melee dps. Casters have no trouble killing prot paladins. But yes, a prot paladin can mope down even a bunch of meleers and walk out laughing

yiptastic

Quote Originally Posted by Andoros
    Honestly, if you want to use a 1h and a shield as ret, use a good tanking shield and a dps mainhand with seal of corruption/vengeance. The judgment itself crits for ridiculous (10% more damage on each application of seal of corruption) and the damage with your one hander won't be completely pathetic.

yeah. tank shield + a slow melee dps weapon.

use SoV and pwn faces.