Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Divine Storm bugged or what?

Today I was in Hellfire levelling my little paladin, and I noticed something weird.

Divine Storm was hitting for really low damage. I checked the combat log for a resist or something, and the combat log clearly states "<paladin name> Divine Storm hits <random mob> for <random amount> Physical damage".

PHYSICAL damage? O_O

The tooltip clearly states it's holy and so ofc it was all the time I tested on the PTR. It may be just a combat log bug but.. in fact it DOES hits for lot less than my weapon damage :S

I'm currently using Glyph of Hammer of Justice - of Judgement - of Blessing of Might.
    Maybe it's some bug related to these things, I dunno.

I'd like to know if someone else experienced the same issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Re: Divine Storm bugged or what?

I had a 4k divine storm crit today , it hits like a truck for me

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

A screenshot of the combat log along with buffs would be helpful in seeing what might have caused this. And what do you classify as "really low damage"?
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Hellfire? What were you fighting? There are several mobs in Hellfire that either drastically reduce damage done to them or reduce magic damage done by you.

15+ Year Old Account

This is the screenshot just after the fight:

http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?im...8032120mu6.jpg

I had Seal of Command active, other than what you see (it appears on the log).
    What I mean by saying "low damage" is seeing Divine Storm hitting for 440 when my minimum melee damage is 536 If it's holy it shouldn't have such a reduction, unless a partial resist ofc. Problem is there was no resist staed on the Combat Log, but instead it was, as I said, listed as physical.

Edited to add: the screen refers to a Vulture, but it happened the same on a Hellboar and on some Ravagers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

DS doesn't penetrate Hand of Protection either.

This is just a guess ...but it might be the "attack" is actually melee. The tooltip never actually says we do holy dmg to the target, just the people around us...the tooltip states "An instant weapon attack", which I'm guessing means hitting someone not dealing holy dmg. In your case it seems obvious that its physical, so the dmg is modified by armor. Try attacking 2 mobs at once...and see f there is a dmg difference.

What are you complaining about? Its doing as much or more than your normal attacks/socom's.

Seems right about where it should be. If you want it to hit for more why not level up and get 1337 gears, for massive dmg instead of complaining about what your fresh outlands pally hits for.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Munk
    What are you complaining about? Its doing as much or more than your normal attacks/socom's.

Seems right about where it should be. If you want it to hit for more why not level up and get 1337 gears, for massive dmg instead of complaining about what your fresh outlands pally hits for.
    Because if holy damage is getting stopped by armor than we have a problem here.

RNG, and even IF it does get mitigated by armor its hardly problematic.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Well if your dueling a mage yes armor doesn't matter, but if you are dueling a warrior and Divine storm is doing half the damage it is supposed to we DO have a problem, and RNG isnt the problem here obviously since his min damage is 536 and RNG won't make your damage lower than the min, RNG is the range they give you (min-max). Looks like DS is actually physical > > the only logical explanation is that the damage you did to the mob was mitigrated by armor

Quote Originally Posted by Tastywaffulz
    Well if your dueling a mage yes armor doesn't matter, but if you are dueling a warrior and Divine storm is doing half the damage it is supposed to we DO have a problem, and RNG isnt the problem here obviously since his min damage is 536 and RNG won't make your damage lower than the min, RNG is the range they give you (min-max). Looks like DS is actually physical > > the only logical explanation is that the damage you did to the mob was mitigrated by armor
    /facepalm

RNG can cause glancing blows due to uncapped hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Munk
    /facepalm

RNG can cause glancing blows due to uncapped hit.
    Haven't glancing blows been out of the game for, like, ever? PCs can no longer glance.

I think Glancing Blows still exist, but they'd show up in the combat log if they occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypheit
    I think Glancing Blows still exist, but they'd show up in the combat log if they occurred.
    Not necessarily.

Pay more attention to your in combat numbers. You'll often see uncapped hit toons hitting for 50%-75% of what they should be.

It was a hotfixed nerf. There were a few others. Detailed on the Paladin beta board

Quote Originally Posted by Merin
    It was a hotfixed nerf. There were a few others. Detailed on the Paladin beta board
    Thank you for clearing that up.

Glancing blows are gone now. I remember this change because of how devastating the mechanic was to rogues in the first place.

Pshhhh lol yea it was /facepalm RNG huh xD ?

Quote Originally Posted by Merin
    So they changed this to make DS a physical attack?
    I am the interglow that lets you know to call your brother son.

i imagine it means its a physical attack, not a spell aka no resists but is dodgable/parry/w/e. it is holy damage.

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders