Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Inscription as a viable profession?

Ok so my question is simple, is inscription a good choice as a profession (not sure if it has any BoP recipes etc or any bonuses similar to enchanters ring enchants?)

At the moment I have inscription to lvl 365, but unless there is any real need to keep it as a profession (BoP etc) I'd rather go with something that has more advantage to a character such as alchemy, enchanting etc.

My mode of thinking is thus:- Half of the damn servers mass abandoned thier proffessions to take up inscription, so...

1. Gonna be hard to realistically make any continous stable profit.
    2. All the Glyphs are readily available to buy from AH.

(new to forums btw *waves manically*)

Re: Inscription as a viable profession?

It won't be a huge moneymaker now, unless you get some lucky minor glyphs.

New recipes will be added though, some rare, some from reputation, etc.

You get inscrip only shoulder enchants, which may well be even more advantageous than ring enchants, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    You get inscrip only shoulder enchants, which may well be even more advantageous than ring enchants, for example.
    i didnt know this, but thats one reason not to drop this shit.

right now all ive got to show for inscription, is some free HS scrolls.

Im hoping it gets some serious work and additions in wotlk, because its pretty whack right now.

15+ Year Old Account

Inscription seems to be a work in progress at the moment. As it is a new profession, introduced in conjunction with a new expansion, I think Blizzard should be afforded a grace period to fine-tune things.

There are signs that Blizzard is looking to make Inscription more viable as a money-maker moving forward. For example, rare (albeit low level) off-hands that were originally BoP have now been made BoE.

Inscription will almost certainly remain useful as a primary profession for furthering your own character. The shoulder buffs are a great example. Epic off-hands, which will likely remain BoP, are another.

It was entirely predictable that the masses would take up Inscription, and that the AH would initially be flooded with glyphs as a result. I'd wager that, 3 months from now, many people will drop Inscription, and many more who keep it will not be actively using it as a consistent source of income. The AH will therefore calm down and the value of glyphs will likely edge upwards (supply and demand).

Have a look at the growth of Jewelcrafting. I am not suggesting that the two are identical - however, there are a number of similarities between Blizzard's development of JC (creation of additional epic recipes, etc) and Inscription that may give us clues as to Inscription's future.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

i made 9k off inscription in 7 days. about 6.5k was profit. the rest was the cost of the herbs. I bought all my herbs over a month in advance so the last 2 weeks i didn't need to buy anymore. I undercut the market and sold tons of glyphs. was a good haul imo. now i am my guilds main scribe.

I have inscription on my 48lvl mage but I think about unlearn this profesion and get alchemy. Right after patch I make a lot of money from glyphs but now they are cheap on my server and you will not replace glyphs when you change gear like gems. And I dont care much about gold coz I play this game only for raids.

And alchemy have nice buff (mixology = increase effect from elixir/flask) for raiding and nice trinkiets. Inscription only shoulder enchant (and off hand but what if I use staff??). Blizz will probably add more stuff but this will be probably more glyphs and off hands so I cant see nothing good for raids that can get only someone with inscription (one more major glyph is not that great also for me).

yeah i have to agree with comparison to jc. When it started everyone was cutting up green gems because it was so easy. But as time went on a lot dropped it, blue cuts were harder to find/grind rep for. And the epic gems were only (for a while) done by high level raiders. I think ull see the same pattern. I mean how many of the glyphs we see now are even level 80?

Whats nice is that inscription is much more vague that jc it would seem. There are a limited amount of stats (Str, Agi, mp5, crit). But there are hundreds of attacks with thousands of ways to alter them to play styles. And really, what constitues inscription? They could expand it to make non class specific glyphs, they can make temporary scrolls with crazy ass effects, maybe even scroll temporary enchanments (imagine a windfurry scroll for rogues, or an evocation scroll for palis) They be like "Apply to weapon, allows rank 4 evocation. Using will dystroy the glyph, and prevent using the same glyph for X amount of time" All im sayin is they can get really creative with glyphs, and in the end it will be just as profittable as any other proffesion, provided u put in the work.

Only problem I see with Inscription is that the range of glyphs people want are from really low-level glyphs to Northrend glyphs, and sometimes less. Most, if not all, skills already have glyphs... so I really don't see what else can be added...

far far from all skills have glyphs atm, and blizz promoted glyphs to be a way of customizing youre skills in -different- ways. More then 1 glyph per skill, so you can choose which one you prefer.
    Once they start adding glyphs like that options are limitless. Better then the 1 single enchant every tank must have, without any option on other ones imo.
    "Remember, remember the 6th of July.
    The Real ID treason and Plot.
    I see no reason why the Real ID Treason
    Should ever be forgot."

I personally think the whole glyph thing is a little weak atm, but its an all new profession and more importantly a new concept to the game. The minor ones are fun to play with, but the major ones really don't do that much for any of my toons, sure they have some nice effects, but...IDK most inscriptions are cheap enough in the ah to buy or if you know someone in your guild or w/e you can get them for eve cheaper or free. I think JC and enchanting will continue to be the top two trade professions in demand, and I'm glad I have both of these at max across my toons. Inscription and glyphs need some work but I think that will come in time, especially when they introduce new recipes and such in the expansion, though I have no idea what thsse are going to be. However there are some nice things in inscription, like the certificate to change your pets name and the scrolls for enchanting.

15+ Year Old Account

i'm doing inscribe/enchanting on my DK..ring enchants+inscribe only shoulder chants ftw

I think that most of people only want one set of glyphs and don't change it alot... the design was that people WOULD want to change them often and thats why they made them so dirt cheap to make...

But funny thing is, unless you're serious about both raiding and pvp, there is no good reason to change your one set of glyphs.

So in reality you get new enchants more often than you change glyphs, which are more expensive, and some are hards to acquire bu the enchanter like mongoose, which I sold for 20g most of the time (enchanting fee - PS. people who say they give enchanters a TIP are retarded).

The only thing that might help would be that you will have to DISCOVER the new major glyphs on a week cooldown (if I'm correct).

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith
    i'm doing inscribe/enchanting on my DK..ring enchants+inscribe only shoulder chants ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails

They removed Shoulder Enchants from Inscribers.

Source?

Didn't even now about the shoulder iscriptions..

gonna need some source on the removing of the inscription only enchants

wait, i thought inscription was supposed to get an extra major glyph... what happened there? what did i miss?
    http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/crazy_eyes321/wtfareyouhigh_dialog.png

Yes me too. Any info here to feed us with?

Well considering my Inscriptor can enchant his shoulders... and I know of nothing on PTR or Blue posts about removing shoulder enchants...

I'm going to have to pull a "Your full of bullshit" card. Quote from the PTR or a BLUE or GTFO.

Sincerly,
    Kriis, Gorefiend
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym