Dispersion, survival skill?

Ok, so we all know Dispersion is a kinda a survival skill, but if u'r near dead, and u want to survive in arena or something, dispersion is still useless if u don't have a healer, 90% yay 6 more seconds b4 i die >.> they should Return the 36% health, or 20% health w/e but atleast some health, or make a glyph for that.
    how do you think about that?

Re: Dispersion, survival skill?

You generally shouldn't disperse when you're at low health, you should disperse when you see your enemy is about to pull a nuke or use a high cooldown damaging ability. This way, at best, the difference is enough to set you ahead in dps, at worst, it makes it more likely you can live to your next fear.

Honestly, I don't want Dispersion buffed, I want something else buffed. I don't like to have to rely on one CD ability not to be useless.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    But we're worried that logic might not lead to the best game.

Dispersion should be hit in order to negate a percentage of enemy DPS.

When you are being focussed. When you have feared, shielded, and the horror debuff is gone. There are lots of pro active ways to use it to improve your match up. Find them

If you ever use it below 20% health then you are effectively wasting the cooldown most of the time. Unless it will let you win for sure - you are too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionne
    Honestly, I don't want Dispersion buffed, I want something else buffed. I don't like to have to rely on one CD ability not to be useless.
    yeh, relying on one CD isn't good, but still, i'd like something to be able to survive longer, pala's and mages get immune's for several seconds, and their debuffs get removed, and we won't lose our debuffs, but i want something to survive more with, we can die very fast if we meet UD rogue's or feral druids (geared)

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    When you have feared, shielded, and the horror debuff is gone.

If you ever use it below 20% health then you are effectively wasting the cooldown most of the time. Unless it will let you win for sure - you are too late.
    Horror debuff = deleted btw
    only way we could use dispersion is when they are going to do a full nuke and you know they're going to do it, no other options unless your oom.

i also think it's dumb that they buffed dispersion with 25% more dmg if no dmg taken, and after that nerf it again, but we'll see how it goes thnx for your opinions.

I love how Blizzard (Koraa) says that this one spell makes shadow priests more viable in PVP. The ironic thing is, shadow priests find it more useful in PVE raiding than they do in PVP. They use it more for mana regen, rather than a damage reduction.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Harima
    I love how Blizzard (Koraa) says that this one spell makes shadow priests more viable in PVP. The ironic thing is, shadow priests find it more useful in PVE raiding than they do in PVP. They use it more for mana regen, rather than a damage reduction.
    Yeah sad thing is it is completely useless for PVP. With my rogue whenever I see a shadowpriest pop dispersion I just think "nice, now I can restealth without vanish".

I can't fathom why they made dispersion such a crappy pvp talent (the mana regen obviously is only needed for pve) when paladins have bubble as baseline and mages iceblock too. And those two are far better than dispersion.

One thing I would love to see changed about dispersion is: Change "cannot cast spells while active" to "cannot cast shadow spells while active". This way you can heal and shield yourself which offsets the loss of healthregen the talent once had.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

no i dont think adding the ability to heal would be best, i liked the concept of the 25% buff if not attacked, forcing ppl to still attack you at less dmg.

thing is, as you said with your rogue, dispersion resets the match for you, having to restelth, well, if you have dots ticking you need to cloak, blowing your cloak, allowing the priest to blow you up, and in arena, most of the time my healer will get me back up, again, resetting but if i used it right you blew you dps CDs burning me down, and i still got mine, granted i would love to cast some heals dispersed, but it wouldn't make sense, the spell is a kind of Super shadow form, holy spells dont fit with it.

if used properly, dispersion is fantastic, its one of those skill biased things that makes me enjoy pvp as a shadow priest, because we arnt a faceroll class, and i feel much better sitting in my s4 than a druid/war/rogue/lock ever can.

as far as the spell, i use it alot, nearly every CD in pve, but its particularly nice on things like conflag, encapsulate, burn, fel enrage, hell i have even tanked ROS during an enrange with it up. not that these bosses are particularly hard now, its still something i wish i had pre 3.0. in pvp i tend to use it every CD as well only much more proactively, the only thing it think needs to happen, is veil of shadows lowering the CD of it by at least 30 sec, That would be fantastic, possibly also letting it clear debuffs would be nice too
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

It got reintroduced. It's there on live. They just modified what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    It got reintroduced. It's there on live. They just modified what it does.
    What's it modified to then? Because horror effects can go true fear ward, and as far i know my fears won't go to a fear ward :P they changed that effect to 30% less dmg done for 6 seconds after fear ends if i'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Yeah sad thing is it is completely useless for PVP. With my rogue whenever I see a shadowpriest pop dispersion I just think "nice, now I can restealth without vanish".
    How? 6 seconds will not get you out of combat with dot's on - if you run I'll cancel it and redot you - and now I have range... genius?

Quote Originally Posted by Rymezz
    only way we could use dispersion is when they are going to do a full nuke and you know they're going to do it, no other options unless your oom.
    No. It is, to quote yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by Rymezz
    they changed that effect to 30% less dmg done for 6 seconds after fear ends if i'm right.
    Wtf.... that is exactly what I was referring to..... How does that no make sense?

Fear to give opponant debuff when they trinket
    Shield and Disperse when debuff runs out.
    wewt! You'll heal up from VE, rage starve warriors, and if the rogue vanishes he reset the fight with him having less health and you on full mana with trinket....

ANyway - no point arguing. It is awesome compared to having nothing. LEarn to use it to it's maximum potential. If you choose not to use it because you find it unhelpful - enjoy life without it.

I have been shadow most of the time i have played a priest, i did try out the talents but i was pissed about what they did to shadow and went disc (which is awesome btw) i think Dispersion is very good in raids, i would use it all the time as a good source of mana regen it was like my own evocation, but......in pvp its still quite useless, i can't tell you how many times i have played my enhancement shaman and rip through spriest even with dispersion, i would just follow them and wait for the 6secs to be done with and then kill them. And when i played my priest and did dailies and got attacked i would pop it and still die, retpallies would still do massive dmg to me, but with there nerfs that may not happen....so imo excellent in pve.....sad as hell in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails

It is awesome compared to having nothing.
    That's correct, but in pvp it could still be better, in the time you can do nothing, 6 second less for cd's but it needs something more, something health giving, and else, its only good for overliving a full nuke with their cd's or for mana, i guess that's that

But remember it also gives them 6 seconds to heal(if they can), and if u see them healing u've to go out of dispersion and silence him, i see that as waisting a cd :\ it's unfair, i want a I.W.I.N. BUTTON
    it's almost a similar skill to ice block or Bubble, they should add something to it, Health regen or Immunity for 0.1 sec So your debuffs go away, then i like it

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmedic
    thing is, as you said with your rogue, dispersion resets the match for you, having to restelth,
    It's not HAVING to restealth, it is GETTING to restealth. Rogues like stealth

well, if you have dots ticking you need to cloak, blowing your cloak, allowing the priest to blow you up, and in arena, most of the time my healer will get me back up
    Cloak has a reasonably short CD and I will blow it anyway while fighting a shadow priest, so I doesn't matter to me if I use it to restealth. Also if you have a healer on you why would you need dispersion? If it's a disc priest he can give you PS, a pala Hand of Protection, a druid or shaman... whatever those have (earthshield, etc.).

granted i would love to cast some heals dispersed, but it wouldn't make sense, the spell is a kind of Super shadow form, holy spells dont fit with it.
    I say it is much more akin to a freaking weak version of iceblock or palabubble.

if used properly, dispersion is fantastic, its one of those skill biased things that makes me enjoy pvp as a shadow priest, because we arnt a faceroll class, and i feel much better sitting in my s4 than a druid/war/rogue/lock ever can.
    The only useful thing I can think of using dispersion for is to live through a stun when your trinket is down. Rather lackluster for a 51point talent. Also on my rogue I beat shadow priests just the same way I did before 3.0.

as far as the spell, i use it alot, nearly every CD in pve, but its particularly nice on things like conflag, encapsulate, burn, fel enrage, hell i have even tanked ROS during an enrange with it up. not that these bosses are particularly hard now, its still something i wish i had pre 3.0. in pvp i tend to use it every CD as well only much more proactively, the only thing it think needs to happen, is veil of shadows lowering the CD of it by at least 30 sec, That would be fantastic, possibly also letting it clear debuffs would be nice too
    It's nice for pve yeah. Doing away all harmful debuffs would really be needed, especially for pvp.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by darkdestiny
    i can't tell you how many times i have played my enhancement shaman and rip through spriest even with dispersion, i would just follow them and wait for the 6secs to be done with and then kill them.
    Wait, you found it really easy as Rock to beat Scissors?! OP!

.... Seriously though, Enhancement Shaman shouldn't ever have to worry about a SPriest. You can dispel all the survivability and interrupt casts every few seconds. So I wouldn't call Dispersion useless on account of still being able to trash a SPriest even though they have that now. Like you said, you at least had to wait 6 more seconds to kill them. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mosshorn
    Enhancement Shaman shouldn't ever have to worry about a SPriest.
    i myself have no problems beating ench shamans, only problem i have killing is vs rogue's or Feral druids using berserk, but still they should boost it, it's just a 6 seconds life saver, when you are alone it sux, but can be a little bit good when with more because they are able to kill the target while you are taking less dmg, and cd's is a bit long.. BS from arms warr is only 1.5 min

I don't pvp much as I don't find it much fun to be killed in 3 seconds when there's nothing I can do to stop it.

but in PVE I've found dispersion a life saver on a number of times. Last night on vash (fun run) I was solo'ing the 1 side of elementals with no problem until I had static charge and was down to about 1500 hp so I popped it and called on vent I've got 6 secs while 'floating' towards a healer. I got healed and went back to dealing with the elementals.

KJ too if I know I'm a bit late to get in the bubble I can live through the AOE

If there's no risk of death it's very good to regen mana as we don't have meditation yet.

but in PVP I've had it up against a ret pala and he still kills me. I just don't see the point in bothering

Quote Originally Posted by ragga
    1) its ENH, no "c" there
    i didn't ask you to correct me, but enh shamans are kinda weak unless they're good geared, with much resi they've lower crit chance + lower crit dmg, and they're mostly based on crits just have enough resillence, and yes many don't know what they do u've to be skilled, and about dispersion, it can be good in pve but they said it whas going to be a boost for PvP ¬¬ still provide's mana, but needs a buff..

Quote Originally Posted by Mosshorn
    Wait, you found it really easy as Rock to beat Scissors?! OP!

.... Seriously though, Enhancement Shaman shouldn't ever have to worry about a SPriest. You can dispel all the survivability and interrupt casts every few seconds. So I wouldn't call Dispersion useless on account of still being able to trash a SPriest even though they have that now. Like you said, you at least had to wait 6 more seconds to kill them. :P
    LOL i give you kudos for this post haha.

I'd have to agree that how you use dispersion is extremely important. At first I was using it to stave off death but as people have quite rightly pointed out that just delays your innevitable death by 6 seconds which changes very little.

So you have to rethink how best to use it's effect. It's not a pally bubble or a mage iceblock and as a result we shouldn't be using disperson the way they use their immunity effects. The best use is to active it the moment you are focus fired to negate large amounts of incomming damage.

For example it's a nice way to mitigate beastial wrath (sure it goes for 18 sec but 6 sec of trival damage reduces it's effectiveness), after a HOJ to negate a lot of the ret pally's burst damage, the opening stun moves from a rogue.

Disperson also has applications when you have DoTs ticking and MB is on CD and you know if you cast something you're gonna get CS or kicked or locked out and don't want to risk it. Hit disperson and let your dots get your opponents health get low... and lets face it, people panic when their life pools get low and start to act defensively.

In any case I think people have to utilise the spell differently than waiting until they reach 10% health.