Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Disc is terrible.

The tree is pretty much worthless. I've tried every variation I can think of, and it all comes down to the fact that your shields just don't stop much. This includes Pain Suppression. Its become the "suicide heals" tree. You get one shot to save a players life, and then die yourself, negating any advantage gained.

Holy lives way longer, and can actually keep other people alive for longer than 3 globals. Guardian Spirit kicks the crap out of anything in the Disc tree. The problem is you run out of mana in about 30 seconds.

You can heal almost as well in Shadow as in Disc, have almost equal damage mitigation in Psychic Horror, BETTER self survivability, and mana regeneration with Vamp Embrace/Veiled Shadows/Dispersion.

So what exactly is the Discipline tree for now? Does it have some kind of PVE application that I'm missing? Why would you skip out on Circle of Healing for anything in that tree?

Somebody enlighten me.

Re: Disc is terrible.

Disc does fairly well for pvp atm. Ofc on arenas you are fucked what ever healing class you are. Only class i have 0 chance to beat is retri paladins in 1v1 and even that has propably changed now when their mana regen is nerffed down a bit.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Hospital

So what exactly is the Discipline tree for now? Does it have some kind of PVE application that I'm missing? Why would you skip out on Circle of Healing for anything in that tree?

Somebody enlighten me.
    it's a very good tank healer, with procs of his talents he is very good at that

No. It doesn't do well in PVP at the moment. Its GARBAGE in PVP at the moment. Its completely inferior to every other spec at the moment. Every Disc Priest I know is 400 points lower rated than they were two weeks ago.

The only reason people are still trying to play it is they haven't figured out how good Holy is IMO.

I'd like to say it will be better at 80, but I don't think its true.

Arenas on my server have been completely unplayable with lag ever since 3.0 went in so I don't have any arena experience for disc.

But from healing heroics, kara, za and doing lots of battlegrounds, I can say that I really like the new things in disc.

Penance is a great ability. It heals as much as greater heal and costs as much as flash heal. The power word shield granting haste on your next spell is great for doing shield+gheal combos (or shield+flash heal). Takes some getting used to since I think most people are used to doing all your instant heals (shield+PoM+renew) and then the haste talent gets wasted. I hope they change it so the proc doesn't get used on instant spells.

Anyway, I have no problems with disc. The early holy stuff like Desperate Prayer and the new and improved Blessed Recovery look awesome and I'm sure they make holy way better than it was before, but I'll be able to get those by the time I 74 and be able to keep penance.

Also damage just went up so much that helers on arenas are tbh pretty worthless.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by zahoan
    it's a very good tank healer, with procs of his talents he is very good at that
    I loves my priest now.
    He can still own retpallies/rogues/warriors and he's good in PvE! WOO!

Finally dusting him off =)

Id have to say I sucked for the first couple days getting used to it, but I love it. I am slightly more killable than I was before, but thats cause everyone else has been buffed.

major glyph: dispell magic, if im in a big group I can just run around dispelling, anyone know if this procs for mass dispell aswell. I think that this glyph might be a little OP even, what chance does a dotting lock have when I dispell his dots before they even tick, and the target gets health back every time I do it.

I love pennance, its a life saver, most of the time I have used it once when it hasnt got the target to full health, and then divine ageis aswell.

Because of all the haste stuff of course I do run out of mana pretty quickly, and cant shadowmeld drink anymore. But I can use shadow meld to help me get out of combat so I can drink.

I love the changes and cant wait for level 80.

It was the same for BC, people complaining about circle of healing. I was the only one in my guild that specced all the way to it, but look how important it became at the end of BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpalo
    Disc does fairly well for pvp atm. Ofc on arenas you are fucked what ever healing class you are. Only class i have 0 chance to beat is retri paladins in 1v1 and even that has propably changed now when their mana regen is nerffed down a bit.
    No. It doesn't do well in PVP at the moment. Its GARBAGE in PVP at the moment. Its completely inferior to every other spec at the moment. Every Disc Priest I know is 400 points lower rated than they were two weeks ago.

The only reason people are still trying to play it is they haven't figured out how good Holy is IMO.

I'd like to say it will be better at 80, but I don't think its true.
    so basically.. you think it sucks in pvp while others love it, for either pvp or pve..

if you fell out of love with it, then spec holy, i do still love my disc, never did much pvp but with this patch im starting to do some, and i must say im liking it alot at the moment

penance is nice steady healing, glyphed renew is fantastic smooth healing, and i have the PW:S glyph atm which heals for 470 or thereabouts, basically making my PW:S absorb (heals for 20% of absorbtion amount) 20% more, whats not to like?

you dislike it, thats fine, dont go pointing fingers on people that do like it, who knows if you are willing to listen people might be willing to explain and vice versa.. both parties might learn a thing or two!

The tree is pretty much worthless. I've tried every variation I can think of, and it all comes down to the fact that your shields just don't stop much. This includes Pain Suppression. Its become the "suicide heals" tree. You get one shot to save a players life, and then die yourself, negating any advantage gained.

Holy lives way longer, and can actually keep other people alive for longer than 3 globals. Guardian Spirit kicks the crap out of anything in the Disc tree. The problem is you run out of mana in about 30 seconds.

You can heal almost as well in Shadow as in Disc, have almost equal damage mitigation in Psychic Horror, BETTER self survivability, and mana regeneration with Vamp Embrace/Veiled Shadows/Dispersion.

Somebody enlighten me.

Discipline is phenomenal in PVE. It is now one of the best (if not the best) tank healing specs in the game.

Does that mean you'll top the healing meter? have huge HPS? No. But that's discounting the tremendous amount of damage that NEVER HAPPENS because of shielding and divine aegis. I was healing one of the FR tanks on Illidan the other night, a pally on the other. Both in comparable gear, and the flames went down aobut the same time. Looking at damage taken during that fight, the tank the pally was healing took almost 50% more damage. That's due to Grace, PW:S, and Divine Aegis. Mana, not an issue - I was healing in mostly my dps set (stacked crit) and had no problem.

CoH is phenomenal, even more so now that it's brain-free like chain-heal. Most healers will go with that route, as they should - no raid would want more than 1 disc healer. But any 25-man would be well-served to bring one along.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Ah i think that discipline is really good in pvp and pve... im doing arena witha discipline priest as a ret paladin, and we are owning every one currently in beta... the disc priest is running around with 2 mages on him while im being sheeped and cced whole the time and he still survives without going oom... i think discipline are pretty fine, and priests have always been able to beat alot of classes...

15+ Year Old Account

I really have to say that 1 thing is how much you like the spec yourself, but at its current state id never take a disc priest to any raid.
    A very skilled priest tried it in a hyjal run a week or so ago, he was 3% behind the second last on the healing meter. Not saying that means alot cause it might be a life saver, but in the long run id really rather take a holy priest than a disc priest.
    Im just not convinced.. At all

Quote Originally Posted by Nørf
    I really have to say that 1 thing is how much you like the spec yourself, but at its current state id never take a disc priest to any raid.
    A very skilled priest tried it in a hyjal run a week or so ago, he was 3% behind the second last on the healing meter. Not saying that means alot cause it might be a life saver, but in the long run id really rather take a holy priest than a disc priest.
    Im just not convinced.. At all
    CoH and chain heal will top the meter. Disc will keep the tank alive. And again, it mitigates a tremendous amount of damage, so there's a chunk of healing not showing on the meter because it didn't happen, and it didn't happen because of that disc priest.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

troll?

Discipline is fantastic. My Shield absorbs 4500, and a triple crit Penance is over 13,000 (over 16,000 with Aegis stacking) healing across two seconds that avoids LoS and costs peanuts to cast. Let's count in Glyph'd renew as well and PoM, which can now also crit.

When they tone down Viper Sting (they will) and do the pass on double DPS problems, Discipline will rocket to one of the best PvP healers rather than just a Mana Burn bot.

ROFL at Holy being better, holy fuck you suck.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Brendavo
    U get the point now?
    As i wrote in my reply i know its not all about meters and yes i know a disc priest is a tank healer, but there is 25 people in a raid, not the tank only. I would not like that disc priest i would take in the raid to slack 75% of the time (hence boss fights are in average 75% faster than the trash in between) or be rather useless as im 100% sure any other healing class, paladin fx. could do the job just as good and still be a good overall healer.

However i have nothing against disc, it was fantastic pre 3.0.2 as PvP spec, very surv focused, made BG's alot of fun. I have no clue at this moment how it is in PvP though as i havnt tried.

I actually made another post on a similar topic, my primary spec (was) shadow, i had never healed before nor even tried healing on my priest until the patch went live, i tried to heal as holy at first (i have a resto shaman which is why priest stayed dps) and i did not like holy at all, they are very good healers but i just got bored and guardian spirit is just plan situational. I tried disc and omfg i loved it, and did i every raid with my same group of friends and have always made 2nd in healing, which i know should not be happening considering there talents. But it did, i manage to heal in full dps gear with 1300 spell power, and the dmg mitigation is amazing, after we did BT we did SSC just for fun and they wanted me to raid heal which i was like "um im a tank healer" but anyway i managed to keep everyone alive with constant PoM, and prayer of healing for my group, i was shocked, cause everytime PoM crit, they had Divine aegis and i thought it was very sexy. I don't really have very many mana issues though, normally when my mana gets to about 20% the fight is usually over with and i'm drinking. I have not done very much pvp as of yet but i'm excited to do it. I think what i like about disc is the fact that when you actually look at there talent tree you can see why and how they can heal, and i like how blizzard made it to where when the target has weaken soul debuff the priest crit heals increase on that target (turning a negative into a positive) but i would agree one or two disc priests would probably be good for a raid, but on a fight where you know the tank is doing to take heavy dmg, a disc priest is a smart choice to bring. And im sorry but penance is the best healing spell a priest has, I spam the hell out of that spell, if you do a 5man and the group gets feared and the tank is about to die, just cast that and there health goes right back up, good for emergencies. But anyway that's my experience as disc, and since i spec disc i have not spec back shadow. Every time I log on i get 5 whispers with invites to heal something. So if you try it and really don't think the spec is for you, i would just respec to something else. But i think there amazing, a big step up from just being a pure pvp healer.

PS,
    I too have that dispel glyph its pretty OP imo

15+ Year Old Account

I've been playing discipline. I have to say, not only am I enjoying it, but I am loving it's applications to both PvP and PvE. To say that you can't PvP with a spec that was, initially, inteded for it is kinda crazy. I've taken other classes apart 1v1 with the exception of those OP ret pallies. And to say that the survivability of it is lackluster is kinda crazy as well.

The big question is, what glyphs are you using? Sure, discipline's power healing game is small. That's not it's intent. However, it's damage mitigation is fantastic. The glyphs I am currently using are Power Word: Shield (which fully raid buffed heals for around 580ish, meaning that my shield can absorb 2900 damage every 13 seconds) and Glyph of Dispel (6% maximum health restored on a dispel). Consider the average raid encounter now as being, say, 3 minutes due to nerfs (in BT). In upper BT still about 5 minutes.

3 minute encounter = approx. 34,800 damage absorbed (average number of shields per minute is 4)
    5 minute encounter = approx. 58,000 damage absorbed

That's just the PvE aspect alone, and that's only shields. Shields in PvP for me heal for around 520, unbuffed. So that's 2,600 damage that it can mitigate every 13 seconds. On top of which, each shield is giving me a 25% haste increase on my next spell cast. Pain Suppression + Silent Resolve = 8 seconds with a 95% chance to resist a dispel mechanic. Power Infusion + Borrowed Time + 5/5 Enlightenment = next spell's cast time is cut in half, then for about 13 seconds afterwards you still get 30% haste.

Another issue you (and perhaps your friends) could be running into is that you are only level 70, and it is kind of tough to find a good balance of the talents at this stage. My spec is different from another discipline priest in my guild, but by 80 they will be very close to mirror images of each other.

I spent countless hours researching numbers on this spec before it made it to live. Sadly, I never got to test it on the betas. However, playing it now and knowing what my final spec will be, I have to say I am extremely impressed with it as both a PvP spec and a PvE spec for MT healing. It's still taking some getting used to (I was always holy before this), but I can't see how anyone could not like it if they are tired of the "OMG I am a raid healer" scene.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Somebody enlighten me.
    Your armory link please? It sounds to me that you are a very very bad player. It's not easy to be awesome player with disc spec, it takes a lot of experience and knowledge of other classes. You also haven't backed it up with any facts, you just said disc is bad, which is laughable.

Regarding PvE use - I made one of our holy priests to try out disc. After a few raids, he got the hang of it and tanks were receiving A LOT less damage. Also, bear in mind that priests have 3 aoe healing spells (Prayer of healing, Circle of healing and Holy nova). Disc should and must be a tank healer. Being out of five seconds rule is what is a MUST for a priest. So that disc tank healer won't slack, but there simply isn't a point making Disc heal the raid if there are shamans and holy priests in. It's ridiculous. It's like asking a paladin to heal the raid, Shamans and Priests simply do it faster and better and they are there for that.

Also, not all encounters are heavy on raid damage. Sometimes, you need an insane main tank healer who can spam heals on them and keep them alive no matter what, and disc is there to do just that, the damage mitigation is just insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Merin
    My Shield absorbs 4500
    SS or it didn't happen.