Mana Drain changes

So, Mana Burn going for a percentage instead of a fixed number. Nerf vs. Retadins and buff vs. Healadins/Priests? What do you think?

Re: Mana Drain changes

Hard to say yet when we haven`t seen any actual numbers yet.

I think you are confused.

Let's say currently mana burn drains 1000 mana and a ret pally has 7000 total mana while a priest has 10000 total mana. Now if we change mana burn to drain 10% of total mana instead, this will drain 700 mana from the pally and 1000 mana from the priest.

This change is a nerf to mana burn versus a ret pally, since it will drain less mana with each cast against players with a lower total mana pool. No matter what percentage the devs choose, more mana will be drained from the priest than the ret pally.

yiptastic

Quote Originally Posted by Fermi

Let's say currently mana burn drains 1000 mana and a ret pally has 7000 total mana while a priest has 10000 total mana. Now if we change mana burn to drain 10% of total mana instead, this will drain 700 mana from the pally and 1000 mana from the priest.

This change is a nerf to mana burn versus a ret pally, since it will drain less mana with each cast against players with a lower total mana pool. No matter what percentage the devs choose, more mana will be drained from the priest than the ret pally.
    not just ret, but also enh shammies.

both ret and enh are getting massive hit from mana burns. They are melee in nature, so you can already kite them, fear them and mana burn them to oom. (4 - 5 burn is enough to run them dry)

Quote Originally Posted by yiptastic

both ret and enh are getting massive hit from mana burns. They are melee in nature, so you can already kite them, fear them and mana burn them to oom. (4 - 5 burn is enough to run them dry)
    personally i dont see how enh shammys should be worrying about preist mana burn....with the mana burn res nerf + watershield restoring like 250 mana everytime mana burn hits should even out pretty well

Well, water shield for hance isn't exactly an optimal solution. It'd be better if they weren't attached to it at the hip. IE, lightning shield is a solid boost to their dps.. In any case, it's unreasonable for low-mana classes to be so vulnerable to burns, whether they have ways around it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by yiptastic

if it takes 4-5 mana burns to dry out someones mana pool that just means that it is draining 20-25% if the NEW mana drains is lower then 20% then this will be a nerf. so i thought, sure users with a smaller mana pool wont be able to drain them dry in a few hits.

the difference is that if mana burn is going to be fix percent like 10% then it will take 10 mana burns to completely drain someones mana pool if they never used a single drop of mana. the up side is that the amount of times you have to cast mana burn will be a fixed amount accross all the classes. no matter your opponents mana pool size will not be a factor, even if the mana pool is smaller or larger.

warlocks are a good example of this. they can easily get mana back sure at cost of health but they can get back mana fairly easy. most locks also have a healthy mana pool size, larger then most. mana burn as it is now would take alot more cast times to drain completely. but a fix percent would also reduce the amount of cast times.

so mana burn NOW on a smaller mana pool can wipe it with just a few cast vs a large mana pool where it may take a lot more. the NEW system will make it so that you can not burn a smaller pool so fast, but also increase the rate you can burn a larger mana pool... i think moving over to a fix percent vs a fix rate is alot better... usully large mana pools users are higher tier gear then smaller ones.

this will look good if your on the lower end then on the upper end... players with large mana pools that laugh at players that try to mana drain them will now have something to fear, also they will look at it as a nerf. lower end players that use to get their mana pool wiped off very few amounts of cast times will then look at it as a buff.

I think it is an excellent change. I will still have to mana burn rets and hance to kill them - but at least they'll have a fighting chance!

And the other casters will not really be any harder - bargain!

yeah with the mana drain changes, i welcome it as well... it actually levels the playing field both ways. So I have no qualms with the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Fermi
    Nope.. Well, ret pallies have around 6k-7k mana on average? so this will definitely benefit them. However, holy paladins and priest with around 11k mana will have more problems since it's very likely the percentage drained will result in a more effective drain than the currently fixed number.

Mana burn and enhancement shamans wont be as big of a problem since they can grounding totem and earthshock/windshock the manaburns, and if they do get it by a few manaburns they can always shamanastic rage which gives full mana back in a 2min CD. Any enhancement shaman that knows what he`s doing will be fine on mana in pvp IMO. On top of that, they have watershield and lightning shield which both don`t cost mana anymore, so it`s easy for them to switch shields around depending on what they need. If theyre getting focused switch out shield and use water shield if youre not, lightning shield and pewpew away! Imo they are underestimated on how good they will be in PvP at 80. But this is the priest forum, I`m sorry for rambling about enh. shamans but I get carried away sometimes lol . As for paladins judgement of the wise will work wonders vs manaburns IMO. But some classes have certain weaknesses, manaburn might be the key to killing retpallies and maybe even priests! time will tell :

EDIT: TYPOS
    I participated in the legendary BACON thread.