Recent Mana Drain Mechanics Changes

With the recent changes made to mana drain mechanics, I wonder how these will affect raiding.

For instance, if they made Mana Burn destroy 2.5% of someone's maximum mana I would be ok with that in PvP. However, if it remains consistent in raiding... then we got a problem.

Kael'thas Sunstrider has 330,900 Mana. At a flat rate of 2.5% that means Mana Burn would destroy 8272.5 of his mana and deal 4136.25 damage. Mana Burn untalented is a 3second cast, so that is 1378.75 dps... talented it is 2068.13

I hope they make it PvP only and do something different in raiding.

Re: Recent Mana Drain Mechanics Changes

lol i forsee SPriests dominating DPS charts :P.
    or disc priests for that matter, all u gotta do is b hit capped and stack haste.

who cares. QQ moar.

This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

SHhhhhh maybe they wont notice till we get some free progression
    Once Elendur of Arthas.

Quote Originally Posted by Piscesthepally
    who cares. QQ moar.
    Lol, I am not QQing, my main is a Shadow Priest so more power to blizzard. However, I think this would imbalance things, and that just makes the game less fun as a whole.

You are saying that if you cast 40 times mana burn kael will have his mana pool empty? Poor bastard...he should ask blizz for some mp5 and spirit gear :P

Quote Originally Posted by MMage
    lol i forsee SPriests dominating DPS charts :P.
    or disc priests for that matter, all u gotta do is b hit capped and stack haste.
    Uhm no. you stack crit now first. haste after as a side stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglarana
    Uhm no. you stack crit now first. haste after as a side stat.
    Miss the point much?

IF mana burn did a % of mana, against a boss, then stack hit and haste and you'll out DPS everyone doing a flat damage per cast.

However - they'll probably make bosses immune, or massively reduce the damage componant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanite
    SHhhhhh maybe they wont notice till we get some free progression
    Wait, wasn't 3.0 the lets hand out Illidan and Muru kills?

I have a hunch they'll turn the damage component of mana burn into a fixed amount, so that it'll do the same damage regardless of the mana burned.

They aren't stupid enough to leave it as it is, I'm sure.

Original creator of the PointlessThread++;

Or against NPC's they make it only effect intellect-related mana, I believe that's what they did with the Dispel glyph where people were healing their faction leaders for several hundred thousand health every dispel. Mobs have almost no stamina and intellect, it's all just added on as health or mana.

EDIT: I didn't think that through enough. Intellect-only means drains will be worthless against some classes; on the other hand base-only will make it too powerful against others. My guess would just be hard-capping it against NPC's.

what changes?

likely it will be 2.5% capped at 10k Mana Drained MAX
    and yes i pulled those numbers out of thin air, but it aint hard to imagine that solution

Quote Originally Posted by Caidrin
    likely it will be 2.5% capped at 10k Mana Drained MAX
    and yes i pulled those numbers out of thin air, but it aint hard to imagine that solution
    Lol. Hasted talented 5k damage every 1.25 seconds? The cap will be much lower than that - probably closer to 3-4k. Or damage componant rewritten. Or bosses immune. Plenty of options.

what are the changes exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by frozenshade
    what are the changes exactly?
    essentially mana burn will be a percentage of the targets mana as opposed to a flat number
    all hail king frost strike

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown
    With the recent changes made to mana drain mechanics, I wonder how these will affect raiding.

For instance, if they made Mana Burn destroy 2.5% of someone's maximum mana I would be ok with that in PvP. However, if it remains consistent in raiding... then we got a problem.

Kael'thas Sunstrider has 330,900 Mana. At a flat rate of 2.5% that means Mana Burn would destroy 8272.5 of his mana and deal 4136.25 damage. Mana Burn untalented is a 3second cast, so that is 1378.75 dps... talented it is 2068.13

I hope they make it PvP only and do something different in raiding.
    It would be so insanely simple to fix this, I'm not even going to bother to say how.

Yes blizzard nerf Mana Burn (PvP wise, PvE wise its a shit change anyway I dont wanne 1 button spam RULE DEEEPEEZZ...) 2.5% Mana Burned per cast, right-o..

That will result in 40 casts, yes 40 * x ammount of mana and 2 seconds (if improved) to burn someone`s mana to 0%, oh wait, regen...

80 whole seconds to burn anyone`s mana is absurd, regardless of you whining paladins, it should be way more or better remove the entire mana draining mechanics from this game.

Yes a QQ, basically because if this 2.5% goes live, we are utterly useless as Disc healers. The combination of Mana Draining and Offensive dispelling is what makes us strong in the Arena not our OP heals, which are extremely expensive.

(thank god for penance there, however others only)

The 2.5% was just an amount I gave to show some numbers. This post was just to show that something different needs to be done with bosses and mobs with a ton of mana.

Many ways to make it not OP as described above. I am sure Blizzard will think of something :

I think the 2.5% number was plucked out of thin air... who knows what number blizzard will choose... I suspect somewhere in the region of 5% to 10% but who knows.

Personally I think it's a good change... I dislike how everyone tries to throw changes into the category of nerf or buff... sometimes it's neither and this is one of those times. It's a change in ideology to improve the PvP experience, it's not a change to nerf or buff anyone.