Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Priest attributes/ stats

So here is the low down. I am currently deployed active military. i have a 70 priest thats holy waitting for me when i return, however my skills got reset but thats no big deal.

Which spec is best for leveling? I hear that shadow got nerfed, Disc is good but low survive soloing and holy has poor damage but can live for awhile.

On top of that, which stats should i use with which talent set-up.
    crit/int for disc?
    int/spirit for holy?
    int/crit for shadow?

im not exactly sure what i should stack, and what my caps are for hit and other attributes.

Any help would be awesome, just tryin to get alittle research done before i get back so i dont waste time while leveling/raiding.

Re: Priest attributes/ stats

shadow got buffed not nerfed (if you look at dmg) so spec shadow for leveling, if you got decent gear you can heal 5man instances aswell

And disc lives longer than holy fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdestiny
    And disc lives longer than holy fyi.
    when u don't know how to play survivability doesn't regard to spec. if you die alot as holy - l2p as holy.

i'd go for spell power as main stat for all specs (as in the item with most spell power wins), ofc considering i'm not losing the stats i need (caped hit for example, losing 30 crit for 5 spellpower won't happen, i do know there are tuns of morons here but i think my point is clear, no need to think i'm saying be spell power freak and taking stuff to extreme - saying this in advance i know the morons turning around here hi eloro )

not really sure about the stats waiting to see what blizz doing with spirit, if no change spirit becomes less important for me as a stat for a healer, yet if i go for shadow it will want to have a decent amount on gear (if you check certain combinations of glyphs and talents you'll find out why).

chosing stats is very simple: you go for what you feel like you lack the most and what benifits you the most, i think a short reveiw of your talent specc, reading what each talent does will "point" for you what stat benifits you the most/more then other stats.

ok well my ultimate goal is DISC priest, however i have no issue with being shadow to level. i played shadow until i was level 70 and started raiding as holy.

i guess ill probably have to do that again.

I know leveling as shadow might be easier but I'd rather level as disciple. It's more challenge in that, you have better stats from talents (stamina and intelect for that mather), your mana regen is a great plus, you can heal and do damage as easy.
    Sure you'll lack some hit but that is when gems come in handy. Survability as another one says before it's pretty much reliable on your skill.

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow
    when u don't know how to play survivability doesn't regard to spec. if you die alot as holy - l2p as holy.

i'd go for spell power as main stat for all specs (as in the item with most spell power wins), ofc considering i'm not losing the stats i need (caped hit for example, losing 30 crit for 5 spellpower won't happen, i do know there are tuns of morons here but i think my point is clear, no need to think i'm saying be spell power freak and taking stuff to extreme - saying this in advance i know the morons turning around here hi eloro )

not really sure about the stats waiting to see what blizz doing with spirit, if no change spirit becomes less important for me as a stat for a healer, yet if i go for shadow it will want to have a decent amount on gear (if you check certain combinations of glyphs and talents you'll find out why).

chosing stats is very simple: you go for what you feel like you lack the most and what benifits you the most, i think a short reveiw of your talent specc, reading what each talent does will "point" for you what stat benifits you the most/more then other stats.
    well i dont know maybe the fact that disc has stronger bubbles, divine aegis, pain suppression, imp stam, imp inner fire, focus will and the fact that on my warrior I've killed holy faster than killing criters ,but takes forever to kill disc. I guess no one knows how to play holy then. I wonder that's why i hardly ever see them in arena?

Spirit is rly important for lvlling due of Spirittab.

But i think since most caster profit from spirit , it will be on most cloth items.

well so far ive pretty much put holy out of the question for leveling and for raids. i like shadow, but the whole DPS thing is old since i also have a 70 rogue. Disc seems a whole new view as a priest which i am probably going to do ANd i dont have to respec once i get 80, or if i do its very minor changes that i tweaked out while leveling.

so for the last bit of clarification, stat priority...
    obviously leveling i need hit

hit > crit > spell power > int > spirit > other??

or what should that be mixed to?

If you level as shadow, you don't need hit as you'll get 3% trough Shadow Focus and additional 3% trough Misery.
    Shadow is the fastest leveler and actually has lesser downtime than Disc or Holy manawise while leveling (Spirit Tap > Imp. Spirit tap, Veiled Shadows, Dispersion), I experienced almost no need to sit and refill due to constant Spirit Tap / IST procs.

Stats for raiding:

Shadow - Spell Power, Crit, Haste (in that order). We scale great with Spell Power and Crit while Haste affects only MF directly.

Discipline - it seems that Spell Power and Crit are the most important there. It looks like insane MT healing class, especially for Death Knights since their mitigation is the lowest so Divine Aegis and absorption effects are great for them. They will take less damage and since they don't use Rage as energy type, absorption effects are perfect for them for mitigation purposes.

Holy - SP / Spirit + Int seem important. I am no Holy expert, I didn't even raid that much as Holy but I'd personally go for the stats mentioned. Insane raid healer, PoM is really really strong raid healing spell as of recent. I noticed I run OOM pretty fast and with my low spirit it's no wonder. So I'd hunt large mana pool and regen with that priest.

Truth,
    Shadow for leveling
    Disc for pvp
    Holy for instance, healing

As for the other thing you are talking about, not exactly sure what you mean...but
    basics:
    Stam for health pool
    Int for mana pool
    Spirit for regen....

Pretty sure with the upcoming nerf on CoH.....that blizzard hates priests.
    Whomever the developers of Holy Priests are, you guys ...well...are you on vacation right now?
    or just no programming skills?

Shadow imo is the best way to go and here are some reasons:
    - Spirit tap -> impr spirit tab (after each kill you'll get some extra mana regen)
    - Impr Fade -> Reduce the Cooldown of your shadow fiend by 2 min, so only 3min Cooldown on your fiend for some nice mana return
    - Dispersion -> mana regen
    - Mind Flay slow (if not glympt) makes the target less likely to get to you so you dont need to heal yourselve and waste mana on that
    - If you get hit just VE and heal yourselve again
    - Mind Blast with a target with VT on it gives replentishment, again mana regen

6 points that give mana and if you play it well you should be able to go non stop grinding without going to fast oom. we might not have the steady mana regen holy/disc have but these abilities sure make up for it imo. also dont forget that holy/disc mana regen is pretty gear depending..if you dont have much spirit on your gear the mana regen isn't that great at all and you'll still be oom pretty fast.

hopefully this is a little helpfull and i'm sure some will think differently but this is from my point of view

and about stats for shadow priest lvling:
    Spellpower > Crit > Spirit

Haste will only make you use your mana faster and there for your dots on the target will eventually miss 1 - 2 ticks because your mind flay'ed him again and he's down..

*edit: seeing Coupage post, for instances holy ? lol spriest are absolutely imba for raiding and you forgot spellpower for main stat for priests

Minip

lol....its all good...I am a priest
    have tried all specs..
    Shadow ...best heal +4k
    Disc about the same
    Holy +8k crit....

for dps and secondary healz...shadow and disc
    for top healing, holy...I assure you....
    And when I say instances, sorry I apologize....
    I call raids, well raids.....
    and with Coh...tops everyone in healz...sorry but very true...
    did over a million healz in an av turtle yesterday....so....I may have screwed priests in the future
    Hope Blizz didnt catch that....lol.....

Crit is now super important for both healing specs for a priest- Disc or Holy.

Disc clearly needs it for Aegis.
    Holy needs it for Surge of Light and Holy Concentration Procs. Spirit has become less important than it was in TBC - while, yes, important for holy priests however.... Crit cannot be overlooked for the healing priest.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    especially for Death Knights since their mitigation is the lowest
    Lol, why do you think Death Knights have a lower mitigation ? Have you played one ? I think not...

This thread is full of fail.

Holy>disc in pvp at the moment.

It is now the survival spec hands down and better in every way.

Disc is now a hybrid spec for dps/burst heals, its actually a very viable way to level, 0 downtime but wont kill as fast as shadow, great for a lot of situations.

Crit is now a priest stat, that doesn't mean you ignore your primary stats but think of yourself like a paly where crit is important.

All I know is I am speccing Disc and grabbing Spirit Tap after I get all DPS talents in Holy Tree. Meditation + Spirit Tap will be good enough for my mana regen. Surge of light is very nice to have as well and being mainly Disc, it will make me a harder target to kill while solo Grinding, Not to mention being able to Heal slightly better than Full Shadow Spec.

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow
    i'd go for spell power as main stat for all specs (as in the item with most spell power wins
    For shadow, I don't think it is quite that clear-cut anymore.

Mind blast, shadow word: death, and mind flay all can crit, and can be talented to a 2.0 crit multiplier, too. Improved spirit tap procs on crits. DoT damage is increased by a percentage equal to your crit chance.

Spell power may be the primary stat... but I hardly think that you can just take the item with the most spell power on it and be properly itemized.

Spell power is the still the first stat to look at, but crit should be looked at straight afterwards.

As always spell power is better at low level of gear but at a point 1 crit is better than 1 spell, with the changes to all of our talents this will happen at a lot lower spell than in BC.

I'm sure once our talents have settled down we'll all know the best itemisation (gogo theorycraft)

Oooo OP Lv as shadow, you'll melt faces (with crits as well :-O) and you'll not need to ever stop, disp SFeind and spirit tap combined...

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater
    This thread is full of fail.

Holy>disc in pvp at the moment.

It is now the survival spec hands down and better in every way.

Disc is now a hybrid spec for dps/burst heals, its actually a very viable way to level, 0 downtime but wont kill as fast as shadow, great for a lot of situations.

Crit is now a priest stat, that doesn't mean you ignore your primary stats but think of yourself like a paly where crit is important.
    it's fail because of crap posts like this, I'm sorry but holy doesn't come close to disc in pvp, even if you look at the talent tree (and have common sense) it will explain all, I laugh everytime i see a holy priest in arena, and if they are the same faction as me, i make fun of them for being holy and giving us a free win. Disc is your best bet in pvp, and now they can also pve which makes them twice as appealing. I actually used to count how many times holy priest got owned in pvp.........sad but true. Please if your holy stick to pve thats where you really shine.