Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Wat talents to use as a balance druid?

I have been kicking around the idea of trying a balance spec as I level into WotLK. The mediocre gear I have collected for it is nowhere near comparable to my feral gear, but I just wanted to check out the playstyle. The spec I have sort of settled into is this:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...33210005311230

Being a bit unfamiliar with the playstyle to date though, am I overlooking anything that I really should have? Or will this be a decent spec to start leveling with if I do decide to go the route of Balance for a bit?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshifter
    I have been kicking around the idea of trying a balance spec as I level into WotLK. The mediocre gear I have collected for it is nowhere near comparable to my feral gear, but I just wanted to check out the playstyle. The spec I have sort of settled into is this:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...33210005311230

Being a bit unfamiliar with the playstyle to date though, am I overlooking anything that I really should have? Or will this be a decent spec to start leveling with if I do decide to go the route of Balance for a bit?
    I see Balance of Power as a PVP talent, that might have some use in Raiding if you don't have enough +Hit gear.

Insect Swarm is a decent spell, won't help you with personal DPS but it's good to have it.
    Improved Moonkin Form + Improved Insect Swarm are great.

Celestial Focus gives you 3% Haste, I think it's a pretty good stat to have now..

Gale Winds is somewhat OK if you're going to AOE 20 mobs all the time, if you're not, then it's useless. (I think it's good for raids though)

For leveling better put the 2 points you put in Natural Shapeshifter into Intensity

Also, after you hit 80 there's no reason to have Nature's Focus.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...33013005000030

Thanks for your thoughts on it Yellowbiz =)

So you don't think OoC is worth it in a leveling type build? I also put points in Balance of Power because my hit is just amazingly craptastic at the moment, but then, I don't know how important that really is in a non-raiding environment. Improved Moonkin does seem pretty interesting though, and perhaps I should shift something around to Intensity, probably Natural Shifter like you said. Can't believe I missed that, lol...

edit- Hmm- then again I'd have to put more than 11 points in resto to do that if I want to keep OoC, so then the question is, just how valuable is OoC for a leveling Moonkin?

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...33213035011231

Highest DPS at 70

Keep Moonfire/insect swarm on target

When u crit with wrath u use starfire untill the defuff fades and vice versa.

(glyphed insect swarm)

Quote Originally Posted by Mapletree

When u crit with wrath u use starfire untill the defuff fades and vice versa.

Isn't it Eclipse though that enables that mechanic?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Thing is, at 70 (or maybe even at 80, don't remember) you got to choose between "max" DPS or Mana Regen.

You can't put out the best DPS and have the best mana return, so you'll have to sacrifice some DPS talents (say Imp. Insect Swarm/Moonkin Form) in order to get OoC.

Of course you'll have to put enough talent points to get to E&M which I think is important.

I removed 3 points from Celestial Focus and put them into Master Shapeshifter and Omen of Clarity.

More spell damage is always good and OOC is great now that it procs off spells.

It actually procs of making bandages too !

One last question for you Yellowbiz- Celestial Focus- it says an additional 3% of your total haste. Let's say I have no haste on my gear- but with Imp. Moonkin Aura I have 3% haste. If I take Celestial Focus does that mean that I've now got 3.03% haste? Or 6%? I'm thinking 3.03 based on the wording, which would mean that Celestial Focus would be pretty worthless for me atm, but pretty good once you've got a decent amount of haste on gear. Can you, or someone clear that up for me?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

No, I believe it simply adds 3% of Haste to whatever you have now, not % of what you have.

The Moonkin Form haste I believe just adds Haste to your raid.

I've yet to find a clear answer to that..

Looking at http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=48396#comments it would appear that it does affect you as well =D Which would make sense actually, given that it's analog in the Feral Tree "Improved Leader of the Pack" does indeed heal you as well as the rest of the group. However, getting 6% haste off of talents seems like maybe it's a little excessive? Still unsure on which way Celestial Focus works =(

First night as boomkin. All gear came from a single ZA run, some heroics, invasion event, 2 greens from the AH. I still have no neck, and green AP trinkets (wear them for static hit/crit buffs).

First off, AoE is amazing. Was taken to Hyjal and broke 5k DPS. As an ex shadow priest I simply do not know how mentally accept that sort of obscene damage.

Single target:

Was using imp IS to give my self some hit I am sadly lacking, there was no SP.

Moonfire up as much as possible.

Natures grace on wrath REALLY bugged me. I swear it caught the GCD cap and that was why I would end up having to spam the button to get the next cast off. Suggestions? Am I wrong? I suppose I shall need quartz?

Eclipse - I found procced mainly of Starfire because I was not switching back to wrath to proc it early enough. Terrribly frustrating. I did not want to waste the buff - and paid the price by going actively oom. Having potted and innervated. Not a nice feeling. Any suggestions?

Obviously this is mainly for 80 that I look for responses, only been 70 a week and wanted to get some gear for levelling. Was generally fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    Was using imp IS to give my self some hit I am sadly lacking, there was no SP.
    What? Do you mean Imp FF? Imp IS increases crit chance of Starfire and spell damage of Wrath, neither of which affect your chance to hit.

Natures grace on wrath REALLY bugged me. I swear it caught the GCD cap and that was why I would end up having to spam the button to get the next cast off. Suggestions? Am I wrong? I suppose I shall need quartz?
    I've found the same thing - I put it down to the lag I experience (in Aus so typically 400-500ms latency). As a result I don't think Eclipse is worth it for me.

Eclipse - I found procced mainly of Starfire because I was not switching back to wrath to proc it early enough. Terrribly frustrating. I did not want to waste the buff - and paid the price by going actively oom. Having potted and innervated. Not a nice feeling. Any suggestions?
    Due to the above I've concluded that (at least for me) Eclipse isn't worth it. Most recommendations are to use the Starfire's eclipse proc though - don't switch to wrath to proc it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

I mean insect swarm. The improved thing was irrelevant - sorry.

I thought the bonus crit to starfire, and faster proc with wrath, would be better. >_> My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    I mean insect swarm. The improved thing was irrelevant - sorry.
    But Insect Swarm only reduces the target's chance to hit. It does nothing to your own chance to hit.

I thought the bonus crit to starfire, and faster proc with wrath, would be better. >_> My bad.
    It has less chance to proc with wrath (only 60%). You do cast wrath faster, but assuming moonfire is up and you have Imp IS then Starfire has a higher chance to crit, so it roughly works out the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    But Insect Swarm only reduces the target's chance to hit. It does nothing to your own chance to hit.
    Then the only valid comment remaining is, oh dear gods I suck.

>_<

Should have taken imp FF

sorry

this should be your base spec when you start out pve at 80

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0xGbuiIscdhV0ohZbxcub

the other 4 points put where you see fit. Mana issue? fill out dreamstate. doing lots of AoE? gale winds. are you a masochist? eclipse is there too!

Its still too ealry to give a 100% this is how you should spec answer. I imagine specs will vary from person to person. some guilds will want imp FF , you may not need all the regen talents do to your group makeup etc etc.

You want as much damage as possible + Minium downtime as possible. You don't need starfall/eclipse, you don't need 3 min cds.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0vG0hic0IzhA00hZcLczb

You only use wrath and nothing else, not even roots (frenzy proc). You aim for clarity/grace procs only. My next 3 points will of course go to Intensity for even better mana regen.

This is my spec for solo lvling, I don't need instances cos I got 1260sp and it carries me all way to 80.

I skip multidotting/aoe for mana reasons. You need only 2 spell to 80 and that's wrath+innervate.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Proc on Owlkin Frenzy is not that good to take it for PVE, it's just a PVP talent.

I tried it on beta and it feels like such a waste.

And who's this "you" guy ? I don't want to rush in I'd rather root the bastard and watch him slowly die to the root's DoT instead of spamming Wrath like I have infinite MP.

You won't need Innervate, I barely used it, just make sure you get both Intensity and Dreamstate and get some Spirit and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyv
    You want as much damage as possible + Minium downtime as possible. You don't need starfall/eclipse, you don't need 3 min cds.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0vG0hic0IzhA00hZcLczb

You only use wrath and nothing else, not even roots (frenzy proc). You aim for clarity/grace procs only. My next 3 points will of course go to Intensity for even better mana regen.

This is my spec for solo lvling, I don't need instances cos I got 1260sp and it carries me all way to 80.

I skip multidotting/aoe for mana reasons. You need only 2 spell to 80 and that's wrath+innervate.

i completely diagree with this guy

Quote Originally Posted by katholic
    i completely diagree with this guy
    Yeah, personally I think you'll be far better off with a starfire opener and wrath spam after (or maybe another starfire cast if there's enough health left). I still think that DoTs aren't going to be worth it for levelling as mobs won't last long enough for the damage you'll be doing.

Also, I'm a bit confused as to how he plans to only use Wrath and Innervate without healing, whilst taking benefit of Owlkin Frenzy meaning he's getting hit, yet no downtime...

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbiz
    Thing is, at 70 (or maybe even at 80, don't remember) you got to choose between "max" DPS or Mana Regen.

You can't put out the best DPS and have the best mana return, so you'll have to sacrifice some DPS talents (say Imp. Insect Swarm/Moonkin Form) in order to get OoC.

Of course you'll have to put enough talent points to get to E&M which I think is important.

I removed 3 points from Celestial Focus and put them into Master Shapeshifter and Omen of Clarity.

More spell damage is always good and OOC is great now that it procs off spells.

It actually procs of making bandages too !
    correct, and I'd say this will be very dependent what you're doing. If raiding, depends on the raid make up and maybe how good the shadow priest(s) are. As far as OOC, it will really depend on how much it ends up proccing to see if it's worth it. However, again, it will depend greatly on your mana usage, and if you tend to go oout of mana alot. If have good gear, ooc doesn't really matter if you're not having mana issues and will be better spent on some of the minor damage upgrade talents in balance tree.