Adrick

Mindflay/ SW:P BUGGED?

From what I'm seeing SW:P will not receive updated spell power. The situation, Trinket popped, no weaving yet, and I cast Pain. Numbers roll and I cast Mindflay which resets pain ticks, but as I stack weaving and cast Mindflay, it doesn't add damage with the reset. I recast SW:Pain and it will apply the new dmg. Then I've clicked off trinket and weaving, ( pain still ticking with 5 weaving and trinket) then I cast mindflay and it resets to the new dmg stats, a much lower number. Should this not work both ways? going up and coming down?

Re: Mindflay/ SW:P BUGGED?

Not sure I understood your question fully but this is my understanding of how the MF refresh is affecting SW:P.

1. You cast SW:P with 0 shadow weaving stacks... no matter how many stacks you have when you cast MF the new stacks won't apply with SW:P... the fix is to no cast SW:P until you have full stacks.

2. When you cast MF you refresh SW:P with the amount of spellpower you have at the time you cast MF... so if you gain spellpower from a trinket or imp spirit tap when you cast MF it will refresh SW:P with that bonus but once you lose that temp buff the moment you cast MF you refresh SW:P without the bonus.

There was a time that if you cast SW:P with temp spellpower that the refresh kept that temp spellpower for the entire duration (as long as you kept refreshing) but I believe this was changed.

So in otherwords, shadowweaving stacks can't be refreshed but spellpower can. I have no idea if additional chance to crit debuffs affect out dot damage and even less sure if the refresh mechanic requires us to cast SW:P with the full stacks on or whether it will update with a refresh.

imo... remove weaving and just add the % lost to the spells or shadowform.

I'm so used to using SW:P second in my rotation that I constantly catch myself doing it. So as soon as I get to 5 stacks of Shadow Weaving, I trinket and Mind Flay. If I recall from my testing a bit back, this causes SW:P to refresh entirely, which will refresh all the Shadow Weaving damage.

Adrick

1st off hmm this is a nice and powerful forum, quick reply's. But then again servers are down, and the only reason I made an account here. Though I'm reading all the time.

I used to do rank 1 sw till 5 stacks then tossed everything up. I supposed its not a huge deal to reapply dots when I pop my trinket. But from the last patch and most current patch, when my Icon trinket is on CD, the dots hold to the damage that I used when the trinket was popped. If I mindflay and reset Pain the new damage is applied. My Problem with this is it seems like I'm loosing damage by, 1. Not casting Flay (which is a lot of damage nowadays) so as to not drop the ticks of pain dmg. OR 2. Cast Flay and loose the damage.

I do see the problem with the high ticking pain damage getting endlessly reset. I do believe it should come down, but I think they should make pain auto reapply if say there was a buff on the top the of Pain buff.

Something like:

Your Mindflay adds a Shadowword: Pain buff where; upon conclusion of dot it is auto reset.

Those of you with the brilliant minds can clean that up, I'm just hoping some of you kind of get my drift on my opinion of this nitpicking situation.

2 cents :P

A bit off topic but has anyone else found since 3.0 that pain's damage is very low compared to what it was?

Adrick

Quote Originally Posted by Battêry
    A bit off topic but has anyone else found since 3.0 that pain's damage is very low compared to what it was?
    Well absolutely. It is. But people should think about everything from a level 80 standpoint, which atm few of us can. I would assume in pvp gear I'm going to run at least 25% crit. Soooo thats 25% more damage added to all dots. Also InnerFire will increase your spellpower starting at 71 ( which apparently can be talented up). We will be beasts as always, though I'm finding the new defensive ability's more and more handy. 30% less dmg after a fear, which I can do every 24sec via S3 gloves, dispersion, oh wait TRAINWRECKED by an freaking arcane mage. But I'm getting wonderful crits..... when I do crit, 7.83% atm

You can cast SW:P at the start of the boss fight, and then once you have full stacks of Shadow Weaving, use your trinkets and then cast it again. The second one will overwrite the previous one, and then the more powerful one will be applied to the boss, and constantly refreshed by Mind Flay.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    You can cast SW:P at the start of the boss fight, and then once you have full stacks of Shadow Weaving, use your trinkets and then cast it again. The second one will overwrite the previous one, and then the more powerful one will be applied to the boss, and constantly refreshed by Mind Flay.
    You should never do this...

1. The DPM of SW:P for 2-3 ticks is poor and even worse when you are casting it with 0 or only a few stacks of Shadow Weaving.

2. SW:P will trigger a GCD, so 2-3 ticks will amount to something around 1800 damage for 1.5sec of cast time, both MB & SW will give you a far better return, MF won't be that worse off and has far better DPM and if you get a lucky crit or 2 it's actually better.

Start your encounters with, VE (if req), VT, MB, SW, MF, SW:P, MB, DP... this will make far better use of your mana, you will get replenishment up quicker and you will have a chance to proc imp spirit tap for when you case your longest duration dots.

Keep in mind that SW is currently providing 2 stacks of shadowweaving, presumably because it gives you a debuff in addition to the damage to the target... not sure if this is going to be changed in the future. (And please don't say it's the backlash damage because if you kill someone/thing with SW you still get 2 stacks ie. taking 0 backlash, so it must be tied to the debuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    Only works if u have a useable trinket

im using Timbals and Crusade so i have to wait till 5stacks. ( sex lord doesnt like me )

--------------------------
    SW is great for getting 5 stacks coz u get 2 for it

If u have to run into the encounter like Kalec -> DP(1)->SW(3) (If u now stand in position)vT(4) (if not then vE and then vT)and then MB(5) and sw
    If u dont have to run into ->vT(1)DP(2)MB(3)SW(5)SW:P->vE(if neeeded)