Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: SW:D Part of dps rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Except that Glyph of Mind Flay does nothing whatsoever towards "efficiency" at all. Kthnx. Shadows, Pain, and Death, and deal with your 24 yard range.
    First of all, stop with that HORRIBLE colour.

Secondly, haven't you tried Four Horsemen, Grobbolus or Malygos yet?! Or Kil'jaeden for that sake.

Extra range is king.

Quote Originally Posted by zarrak
    With the buff to MF, is SW even worth casting in a normal dps rotation? (I.E. not talking about trying to ninja a killing blow to proc spirit tap)

Or is it best to just keep VT and DP up, keep mind blast on cooldown, and otherwise just MF? (and during heroism, just use MF)

thanks
    ABSOLUTELY...

unless its a particular fight where a lot of raid dmg is going around, there is NO reason you should NOT be using SW... with the new talents and vamp emb up, the damage you take from it is nothing to worry about...

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia

Secondly, haven't you tried Four Horsemen, Grobbolus or Malygos yet?! Or Kil'jaeden for that sake.

Extra range is king.
    I never used the range of mind flay for those bosses and we still killed them, so its not needed at all to have it. I highly recommend that you get the SW:death glyph and start using death in rotations again as well. It can proc imp spirit tap which is a nice bonus. it does around 7k dmg for me when it crits at the moment so it is a valid dmg dealing spell to use. (depending on boss fight of course, not all bosses allow you to use it). And you can use it while moving around which is nice as well. for example while moving away from the blizzard from sapphiron. ^^

Extra range is king.
    Last I checked, first down and every other kill that mattered on Kil'jaeden was on 2.4; riding the nerf train doesn't count as a kill, nice try though. And, wait for it, Shadow Priests that were actually good at their class made due then. Besides, if you're waiting to do more dps while at max range to avoid AoE (the only reason I can think of) best case scenario I'm thinking would be something like Archimonde where you get ONE extra tick of mindflay before you have to run from the fire anyways.

Side note: Improved Spirit Tap and Glyph of Shadows have great synergy and yes they do stack, go for it.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I killed him before 3.0 so...

And we're talking about overall easing the raid by having the ability to spread out better.

Raiding is not about personal damage...

And we're talking about overall easing the raid by having the ability to spread out better.
    And being 10 yards infront of everyone else isn't spread out? Not like you don't get totems or auras there.

Raiding is not about personal damage...
    No, it's not. It's about bringing as much as you possibly can to the table. Before, that was fully backed by Vampiric Touch. Now that you're more than a "mana battery", doing real dps might mean you should probably try to optimise that now.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Seriously, stop with the fucking retarded colour. Teal on light grey background, did nobody ever teach you about colour blending?

I can't be arsed to read more of that shit, it's hurting my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi
    /gasp

not hit capped...

:O

15+ Year Old Account

I must have a distinct advantage from not raiding in bc. In our 25 naxx last night, I was consistantly top of the dps, largly mobile fights I always stayed top 3. On really mobile fights I stayed around 2800 dps, on other fights I was always over 3k, usually around 3100-3400, up to 3900 on a couple fights.

I think the trick is replacing your old gear guys, I know you hate to, but you have to get out of the mindset that all we need is damage. We need int, we need spirit, we need crit, we need hit, and haste is good to have. If you have to give up 15 spell power for 40 extra in and spirit it is probably a good thing to do so.

The thing that really set me apart from the other 2 shadow priests in our group is that I was using new gear, I have a ton of mana, decent crit and regen. I am not even close to hit capped but I am working on it. I had 0 mana problems, I never used shadow word death unless I got a PoM.

I understand you worked hard for your gear and everything, but go for the extra stats, don't stay in the maximum spell power phase, you will go oom and nub (Pronounced nub, not noob, nub) priests like me will look great in comparison.

P.S. Nice spec Chi, great minds think alike I guess.

Edit: Armory page. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...de&n=Gannorath
    Not impressive at all gear wise. Don't expect to be amazed.

Yes, but you miss 140 hit rating to be capped. That's the reason we kept our old gear.

So I would say your high dps is because of the hit bug I wrote about in another thread.

15+ Year Old Account

That could be completely and totally true, but it also is a great reason to get some new gear, update your stats, and not have to worry about the hit bug, lol.

It won't solve anything, as the mana cost of using SW ain't turning itself in with 300 spirit. Neither would it crit often enough with 9% crit on my gear.

So it's useless untill we get better gear, and when we do it's useless because other spells are more efficient.

The backdraft is just a annoyance for the healers, so I wouldn't say there's any reason to use it at all.
    With 30% SW backlash mitigation and using imp VE, I heal back the backlash easily without healers needing to bother... you just need to be smart about which encounters to use it and when. I have 16% crit, and with mage crit buff and boomkin + other buffs you can have close a 30%+ crit rate pretty easily.

I don't spam SW but it is a great filler spell for when MB isn't quite off CD and a MF will go for too long, or great for moving and it's great to use under the effects of BL as 2 x MF isn't a full MB CD.

I think it's stupid to completely remove from the rotation but you don't necessarily need to use it every 12sec either.

I think it's stupid to completely remove from the rotation but you don't necessarily need to use it every 12sec either.
    The word "rotation" implies you do the same thing over and over again.

Using it at random doesn't mean it's part of the rotation. I do the same, such as when in Malygos's Vortex (and got health for it), or randomly on the adds in Phase Two.

And on Kel'thuzad Phase One ofcource :-)

The discussion was about using it on every CD (when safe) as we did before 3.0

I think getting the SWD Glyph and continuing to use it is the way to go. The MF glyph is lovely and id hate getting rid of it, but it is not necessary at all.
    Zinge
    Officer of <Smitus and Friends> 7/7M 10/10M
    US 10th

Ok, I made an account just to post on this thread.

If you're not using SW in you rotation you're gimping yourself. Either you're not using it properly in the rotation, or just ignorant to how good it can be. 11k instant damage is bad when? I can spike 3.5k dps on the level 80 'boss' dummy just with dots up and mindblast->SW crits, with 2.1-2.2k dps sustained self buffed. This is in pre-naxx gear (see armory below)

I actually tried to do the rotation without SW and I sustained around 1.85k. That's almost a 200+ dps drop, which is huge.

I haven't had a chance to DPS in Naxx yet (had to heal last run), but when I do, I'll be sure to post my findings.

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ull&n=Rasputen

Using SW during Malygos P1 is not clever, atleast not if you got 2-3 sparks and allready good gear

I don't like ending up with 2k health and then dying to random AoE ;-)

I actually tried to do the rotation without SW and I sustained around 1.85k. That's almost a 200+ dps drop, which is huge.
    I tried it in the rotation as well.

On a Target Dummy: Huge Difference
    In a raid: Little Difference

Obviously, the reason to not use it when you get better gear and raid buffs is because it do less DpM (Damage Per Mana), and scale worse than other spells (such as Mindflay).

And I always find myself in situations where I cannot allow myself to use it because of overall high damage on the raid.

The last thing you should be worrying about in a raid is the SWD backlash damage. Raid healers (resto shaman doing chain heals, holy priests) should be easily taking care of that. And you can always shield yourself..

Aside from that...you shouldn't be having any mana problems. In raid buffs I have something like 230 mp5 while casting, and with replenishment and spirit tap almost always up..along with dispersion and shadowfiend, I've never even had to use a pot.

Also...what's the difference between the dummy compared to something like the Patchwerk fight? If it's tank and spank, it's like the dummy =P

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputen
    The last thing you should be worrying about in a raid is the SWD backlash damage. Raid healers (resto shaman doing chain heals, holy priests) should be easily taking care of that. And you can always shield yourself..
    /sigh

Yea, cuz taking a spell that barely does more DPS than Flay and then doubling the cast time is srs fkn win.

Also...what's the difference between the dummy compared to something like the Patchwerk fight? If it's tank and spank, it's like the dummy =P
    How about an extra 450 spell power, 18% crit, and the exacerbating effects of ~15.25% more damage? That's a pretty big difference.

I can spike 3.5k dps on the level 80 'boss' dummy just with dots up and mindblast->SW crits
    Spike damage means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputen
    If you have to shield yourself, it's not efficient. And not worrying about backlash damage is directly stupid on certain encounters such as Malygos.

Staying alive is ALWAYS, and I repeat ALWAYS, more important than doing damage.

Aside from that...you shouldn't be having any mana problems. In raid buffs I have something like 230 mp5 while casting, and with replenishment and spirit tap almost always up..along with dispersion and shadowfiend, I've never even had to use a pot.
    If you use Dispersion over a Mana Potion...

Clearly not, raid buffing scale differently than you might think.