Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mind Sear : Crit and Inner Focus

I was thinking of the best use for Inner Focus, and I was wondering if Mind Sear can crit, and if it can, how the Inner Focus affects it's crit chances...

Has anyone tested this?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Mind Sear : Crit and Inner Focus

I haven't tried it with mind sear yet, altough I did with mindflay. Hard to tell with a 3min CD but the few times (2-3) I used it with mindflay I didn't really see it crit more often.

But on another note: I've read here and on the shadowpriest forums that raiders use inner focus with shadowword pain always. Why is that? SWP mana cost isn't that high?

Then I thought "Uh, maybe the +25% crit chance from inner focus gives SWP +25% damage through shadowform". Tried it but it didn't work

So why Inner Focus + SWP? I always use Inner focus with Mindblast.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    I haven't tried it with mind sear yet, altough I did with mindflay. Hard to tell with a 3min CD but the few times (2-3) I used it with mindflay I didn't really see it crit more often.

But on another note: I've read here and on the shadowpriest forums that raiders use inner focus with shadowword pain always. Why is that? SWP mana cost isn't that high?

Then I thought "Uh, maybe the +25% crit chance from inner focus gives SWP +25% damage through shadowform". Tried it but it didn't work

It used to be the spell with the highest cost of all (not sure if Dev. Plague tops it now), and pre-patch 3, the shadowpriest mana efficiency sucked balls. So you had to save mana everywhere you could, since an OOM priest is a useless priest.

Nowadays we got more mana regen, more mana regenerating abilities and lower CD on the shadowfiend, so I'd definitely use it for Mind Blast

i wont even skill inner focus :/

Actually you should use Inner Focus with the initial SW:P you cast (after 5 stacks of shadowweaving), since it's the highest mana cost ability we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet
    i wont even skill inner focus :/
    You got nothing else to use the points on, so why not?

i dont know yet about threat .. so maybe that point goes into shadowaffinity since i will specc for 2/2 imp vE

but if threat is even on trash not an issue i will probably put that last point into Inner Focus

I did Patchwerk (25man) with no points in Shadow Affinity, pumped out 2500 dps, and never were even close to the tanks.

/thread

Pre 3.0 I had maccro which cast inner focus, then use trinket if avaible and then cast SWP.
    I had the same maccro with MB. And the same with VT, but without IF.

As an undead, I used to IF my Devouring Plagues. They were WAY more expensive. And on the same cooldown as IF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosshorn
    As an undead, I used to IF my Devouring Plagues. They were WAY more expensive. And on the same cooldown as IF.
    We're talking NOW, not 1½ month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    We're talking NOW, not 1½ month ago.
    Much realized. Hence the entire post being in past-tense. Was merely commenting. Honestly, once I have the points to pick up IF, I'll probably use it most often for Mind Blast or SW when I want to get an Imp. Spirit Tap to proc. The mana regen for that will probably outweigh the fact that I could be using IF for a more expensive spell, and it ought to be a better damage increase than using it for a DoT.

I don't think the mana regen from it will outweight around 750 mana.

Interesting idea, but seeing you get 3 procs you would need atleast 250 mp5 in combat.

We would need, hmm, 600-700 spirit for that?

I don't have the numbers for you, but 750 mana seems a bit high. Max rank SW:P is 22% of base mana, while MB is 17% of base mana. 5% difference means, for your numbers to be right, we'd need 15,000 base mana.

I don't have the numbers for you, but 750 mana seems a bit high. Max rank SW:P is 22% of base mana, while MB is 17% of base mana. 5% difference means, for your numbers to be right, we'd need 15,000 base mana.
    Not to be a stickler but if 750 is 22% of base then isn't base (750/22)*100? That btw, equals about 3410. Not sure where you got 15k @_@

Priest Base mana at level 80: 3863
    22% of 3863 = 849.86

Rounded mana value: 850 mana.

Then we get 6% mana reduction though Shadow Focus

850 - ( (850 / 100) * 6 ) = 799

Or if it's applied before to the base mana percentage: 618,08 mana.

I'll have to check when I get home tomorrow, because I'm 100% sure it was a 700-number.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud

In TBC you would (if you weren't UD) because it was the best MP/5 choice... now that you refresh SW:P with MF I suggest you're better off using it with MB.

My number was coming from the fact that MB and SW aren't free spells. So saying using IF on one of those might not be worth 700-whatever mana is irrelevant, because you're not taking into account the cost of MB or SW.

So the comparison needs to be: Is a 25% increased chance to crit with MB/SW (which would be a DPS increase and proc Imp. Spirit Tap, assuming you wouldn't have crit it before and now would) worth the 5%/10% of base mana difference in cost between using IF on SW:P instead?

Priest Base mana at level 80: 3863
    22% of 3863 = 849.86

Rounded mana value: 850 mana.

Then we get 6% mana reduction though Shadow Focus

850 - ( (850 / 100) * 6 ) = 799
    This part was correct, my Shadow Word : Pain cost 798 mana.

So the comparison needs to be: Is a 25% increased chance to crit with MB/SW (which would be a DPS increase and proc Imp. Spirit Tap, assuming you wouldn't have crit it before and now would) worth the 5%/10% of base mana difference in cost between using IF on SW:P instead?
    Assume that with imp crit you have a 50% chance to proc whatever regen you'll get from one issue of spirit tap.

Is 50% of one tap more than the % base mana difference? How about if you consider the then 25% chance that you'll lose 1 tick by over writing with your next MB if it crits?

i don't have these numbers to fill in the gaps, sorry.

Well, it's a question about

Spirit Tap regen versus 798 mana.