FFB or Frost for someone with not so hot gear

Here is my armory:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rhorn&n=Tycoon

My Spec with Glyphs:
    Standard FFB Build
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...h=101915050204

I feel really weak compared to other DPS classes, running Gundrak a 77hunter and 76 warrior out-DPSed me and i'm 80! =(. My FFBs are hitting for 2k'ish and critting for 5k.

My rotation is LB, FBB, FBB, FBB, FBB. Scorchingx2 at start of fight, and keeping it up throughout fight. Pyro'ing when Hot Streak.

So my question is, should i go back to a frost spec or stay FFB? I have no doubt that FFB is the top dps spec out there, but i'm thinking with my current gear it may be inferior to frost. Any thoughts or ideas?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: FFB or Frost for someone with not so hot gear

Might be wrong as I don't play my mage as my main, but I do believe FFB spec is based on having a very high amount of crit(30-40%) and near or at hit cap. Pre-caps Frost out dpses it I do believe.

Speaking of Gundrak is that not the single most easy instance ever ever? I think running BRD at 70 is more difficult than GD is on level.

That build is better suited for longer fights as it is very bursty. It is reliant on bonus spell and crit. You will be at the lower end of the dps for the most part until you get better gear, but I would hang in there and get used to the rotation. The gear will come very soon.

15+ Year Old Account

My Frostbolts hit for 1900 and crit for 4000. Frostfirebolt with the spec I currently have, does 1800 non-crit and 3600 crits. I have 1000 spellpower, I'm level 77 and my Frostbolt non crits do a little less than your Frostfirebolt and I don't even have the highest rank of Frostbolt. With Fire Power and Empowered Fire your Frostfirebolt should be doing far more damage than 2000. Crits of 5000 are great, since your target also gets a DoT of 40% of that 5000 (2000), so infact, you crit for 7000.

When I had my Fire spec my Fireballs were hitting for 2200 non-crit; with Frostfirebolt benefiting from both the Frost and Fire tree, it should do pretty much that amount of damage.
    Statix will suffice.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...mer&n=Nthpower

critting for 5.7k with FFB, 6.3k+ while the mob is 35%less health (without counting the ignite dmg)

I was frost before, so i'm taking out the +haste equip for +crit.... and hit obvl..
    The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

Thanks for all the feedback!

Hrmm well i guess one thing i need to do is really hit those icecrown group quest. Lots of blue upgrades i see from looking at profiles.

Hitting 10man nax tonight so hoping to see how FFB stacks up(mainly because i dont want to fully reglyph). If it's seriously lacking i'll give frost a shot.

and change your weapon....pick up the dagger of the violet eye or the staff from the AoA in Zul'drak...10 minutes of group and u can take a nice staff...
    The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

I have the staff from AoA, i was just stacking crit and seeing if it was my lack of crit that was making me dps so low. I'll definitely be switching up for some hit gear for going into naxx.

That dagger from Kirin'Tor Rep is what i'm shooting for, going to be pushing heroics like crazy from now on!

In 5mans I've found frost to be better.

1) Elemental uptime is well above 50%. There are very few bosses were I even needed to use CS for another elemental.
    2) Elemental has fairly high survivability. I won't say 100%, it definately dies, but nothing like some boss AE to wipe your elemental out 5 seconds after you summon in a raid.
    3) I believe you need Living Bomb to be better dps than frost. Most things die so quick it doesn't even go off for me in a 5man.

In a raid I think FFB will be better. For a 3+ minute fight you can take a lot of the RNG out of it. You should get an average amount of crits, pyro instants, ect..

I still like frost for 5mans, FFB seems like its the current king of raiding. Arcane needs some serious help apparently.

You are totally correct Amandil. After running naxx yesterday i was up in the mix in the top dps as FFB. I guess in the 5mans everything died so quick i could barely squeeze 2 FFB out and my LB never exploded.

I guess my worrying was all for nothing =). Got a few upgrades last night so FFB should be even better now! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Dacool561
    You are totally correct Amandil. After running naxx yesterday i was up in the mix in the top dps as FFB. I guess in the 5mans everything died so quick i could barely squeeze 2 FFB out and my LB never exploded.

I guess my worrying was all for nothing =). Got a few upgrades last night so FFB should be even better now! =D
    thats why in 5 mans you put living bomb on X then go to work with scorch FFB and fireblast on skull