FrostFire Bolt - Molton or Mage armor?

Just wondering if you guys are using Molten armor for the extra 5% crit, or Mage armor for the extra 50% mana reg while casting in raids? (Glyphs included.)

For the guys using Molten armor, how are you finding your mana eff? Are u having any mana problems with single target stand and deliver type fights?

The Rotation I’m looking at here is Scorchx2 > LB > FFB spam. Instant Pyro when we can, keeping LB up at all times, as well as refreshing scorch when needed.

/Discuss

Re: FrostFire Bolt - Molton or Mage armor?

I'll let you know as soon as i've done Naxx
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

I have been using molten armor as you need high crit for this build to be any good. If you don't crit a lot then the dps is terrible as ffb doesn't scale as well unless it is critting. I have had no mana issues when there is a replenishment class in the raid, but without a replenishment class I am not able to use LB. I just scorch and FFB spam (pyro when HS procs).

I actually had big mana issues on Kel'thuzad with a replenishment class, but this was in 10 man. In 25 man I don't think it will be as big of an issue. just make sure you evocate before you start using a mana pot or gem and by the time you waste all 3 gems you will be able to evocate again. It sucks we have to do this because it kills our dps to evocate twice, but of course mage is the only class where spirit won't affect us unless were using mage armor which is terrible for a ffb build.

5% crit will give you more mana back than 50% mp5, unless you stack some mad spirit/mp5 on your gear(which is dumb). Also Kel'thuzad is a bad fight example, your dps will always be terrible. The fight will always be in excess of 10 minutes long, in which case you will always have to play conservativly. LB would not be used(too expencive for such a long fight). Gear for more crit over haste, pop mana gems like candy. On your last charge pop it, make another evocate and pray you dont get hit.

For normal fights FFB will never need mage armor. It isnt worth even glyphing imo. Pick up 2 peice t7, glyph of FFB and glyph of Molten armour and you are golden. What redrider said is true. Crit=HS=mana=longer lasting + higher dps.

Also Coldsnap > LB with FFB because you are spec'd at least 18 points into frost anyways. 2x Icy veins at the end of a fight is huge. ;D

The Molten Armor glyph is much better right now for an FFB pve spec. Perhaps in the future when every piece you are wearing is end-game PVE with high spirit you could justify dropping that crit% for high regen but for now it's all about Molten Armor, FFB and Gem glyphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker
    Also Coldsnap > LB with FFB because you are spec'd at least 18 points into frost anyways. 2x Icy veins at the end of a fight is huge. ;D
    Man I'm with you on that but I hear alot of people really talking up LB for single-target DPS. I suspect Coldsnap is better (LB better be pretty freakin' amazing to make me give up a second IV), but havn't touched Naxx yet so idk for certain. What's everyone else's experience been, Coldsnap > LB?

iLive

I also wanted to know the answer to this question, but i thought that people would say Mage Armor, because no mana = no damage, but if we are talking DPS, Molten Armor is the best! Okay lets look at critt gained from buff and talents when using Frostfire Bolt specc.

Pyromaniac - 3%
    Molten Armor - 5%
    Critical Mass - 6%
    Improved Scorch - 10%

14% extra critt chance + your own! Yeah, i think Molten Armor

Glyph Molten armor,and since someone asked ,LB>CS .

After clearing Naxx tonight (25man),i could keep LB up forever on all bosses,without any mana issues.
    Shadow priest+retri in raid ofc.

Not to mention that gameplay becomes a tiny bit more interesting having to take care of 1 extra spell

LB is not only great for DPS but also great for DPM, there is no reason to not have/use it
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account

for FFB build...molten armor and glyph= pew pew
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.

Douglas Adams

I have been using Molten armor, done 3/4 of naxx and i don't oom in boss fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysonis
    Another useful tactic to save your Evocation from being wasted by dmg is to wait until you're in the last 2 seconds of Icy Veins and then pop it. You'll get the reduced cast time from IV as it being unaffected by dmg even after IV fades since it only calculates cast times/immunity when it's initially cast.
    VERY nice. I hadn't thought of that. /bow

Draethas

I have choosen Molten Armor.

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker
    VERY nice. I hadn't thought of that. /bow
    I actually do this at the very end of bloodlusts as well.