PW:S Not working on tanks?

I tryed out healeing as disc in HC today and I noticed the tank lost hp while the PW:S was on him, can anyone inform me a bit here please? is it a bug?

Btw Feral druid was tanking if it has anithing too say.

Re: PW:S Not working on tanks?

PW:S even at 80 only absorbs ~5-6k dmg in current gear. If that gets absorbed, the tank will just start to lose HP as normal. It is howver glitched with the disc talent what gives mana back when PW:S absobs dmg. (At work, can't think of the name) Currently, it gives mana back based on the target's mana, rather than yours as intended. So if you shield a warrior, druid, or DK, you don't get mana back from their hits.

Edit; PW:S can actually last quite a long time as well, it is the last mitigation when it is up. Whoever you shield will still block / dodge / parry etc. while the shield is on. If they don't mitigate any of the hits, the shield can drop pretty quick, on the other side, I've had shields last the duration, even in naxx.

Actually occasionally I have had the same problem as well. The few times I remembering it happening it was on a druid or a rogue, where there was damage being caused WHILE the shield was still on them. This included grace, the shields just did not absorb any damage, and stayed up their duration. It was extremely annoying, but I wasn't sure if i was overlooking something or not? Its only happened three times I think for me, and once recently in violet hold with a feral tank. I've always been a discipline priest when I've had this problem, is it a bug or something else anyone?

I tested it a bit, I added the shild and saw the druid that was tanking lost hp and I could hold over the spell on his nameplate so I know it was on

Wierd, def. worth reporting then. I havn't had that happen to me, will def. keep an eye out for it though.

Is it not possible its calculated in the hit?

Lets say the shield absorbs 2k dmg.
    the heal from the shield is 1k. (got no idea how much it heals for tbh and cba to check it now ^^).
    The tank gets a 10k hit.

2k is absorbed and 1k is healed. You still see a 7k dmg attack on the tank then. Try to see if recount registers healing from the shield? might show if it does or doesnt heal the tank at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglarana
    Is it not possible its calculated in the hit?

Lets say the shield absorbs 2k dmg.
    the heal from the shield is 1k. (got no idea how much it heals for tbh and cba to check it now ^^).
    The tank gets a 10k hit.

2k is absorbed and 1k is healed. You still see a 7k dmg attack on the tank then. Try to see if recount registers healing from the shield? might show if it does or doesnt heal the tank at all.
    The heal from Glyph of PW:S comes as soon as the shield hits the target and not when the target gets hit. And even if it healed when the target got hit it wouldn't be subtracted from the damage amount.

The healing from GoPWS is 20% of the absorbtion amount. And yes, Recount does register the heal from the shield. That way you can check how much damage your shields had the possibility to prevent. Quite nice really!

could it be that the mobs you were fighting had an ability similar to the paladin talent that allows 50% of their damage to pass through damage absorption effects?
    Quote Originally Posted by Separate
    Ive said it before in a thread and ill say it again. I fucking hate roast beef but i dont go into an Arby's every day and say "FUCK ROAST BEEF"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless
    Heh, ahh the internet. Where the 'glass is half full' and 'glass is half empty' people are both shouted down by the heaving masses of "WAAAAH! I WANT A FULL GLASS! WAAAAAAAH!'

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

You shouldn't use Power Word: Shield on a meatwall as far as I know since: Warriors gets Rage from taking Damage, Druids gets Rage from taking Damage, Paladins does Threat when taking Damage due to Holy Shield. Not sure about Death Knights though, think they are the only class that you actually should Power Word: Shield on.
    -.-

Quote Originally Posted by jkw
    You shouldn't use Power Word: Shield on a meatwall as far as I know since: Warriors gets Rage from taking Damage, Druids gets Rage from taking Damage, Paladins does Threat when taking Damage due to Holy Shield. Not sure about Death Knights though, think they are the only class that you actually should Power Word: Shield on.
    The Rage-Gen mechanic's been changed; it now operates off being hit, not taking damage, so keep a warrior or a bear shielded and that red bar's still going to go up. (It's the only way they could make Discipline viable in PvE). Secondly, whether they're shielded or not, doesn't mean a Paladin won't block, because block is higher on the mitigation list than normal hit (which is what Shield absorbs) although looks like you haven't played one of those since 3.0 either, seeing as Hammer of Righteousness, Shield of Righteousness and AP changes all-throughout because they do very very decent single target threat on their own, and have their own regen model now.

So realistically, to push the 'pause' button on all incoming damage, you should be using your Power Word: Shield.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I'm really confused about this as it doesn't seem to happen to many people at all... but just to clarify the problems I've had:

1) Damage occurs when the shield is on, its like the shield is not even there even though the buff stays on the person, this includes Power Word: Shield and Grace effects from critical heals. From what I've seen when it happens 0 damage is absorbed by the shield.

2) When this has happened for me, that I can remember all of 3 or 4 times, it occurred for the ENTIRE instance that I was in the party, even after zoning out of the instance and back in it happens, from every mob as well.

3) Whenever I've had this problem I was specced discipline, and since I've been a leveling spec it includes shield talents, however since it also includes the same thing happening with Grace shields I don't think its a bug involved with any talents, except possibly Rapture.

I just don't understand it at all O.o, it seems so random and rare...

Quote Originally Posted by jkw
    Fail.

Ontopic: I had the same issue, shielded the target, PWS was there, hit occurred and target loses hp, shield doesn't go away. Might be a lag issue? I experienced quite some lagging issues since wotlk came out.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    The Rage-Gen mechanic's been changed; it now operates off being hit, not taking damage, so keep a warrior or a bear shielded and that red bar's still going to go up. (It's the only way they could make Discipline viable in PvE). Secondly, whether they're shielded or not, doesn't mean a Paladin won't block, because block is higher on the mitigation list than normal hit (which is what Shield absorbs) although looks like you haven't played one of those since 3.0 either, seeing as Hammer of Righteousness, Shield of Righteousness and AP changes all-throughout because they do very very decent single target threat on their own, and have their own regen model now.

So realistically, to push the 'pause' button on all incoming damage, you should be using your Power Word: Shield.
    Awesome, how can I possibly have missed this when I read all patch notes?

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Fail.

Ontopic: I had the same issue, shielded the target, PWS was there, hit occurred and target loses hp, shield doesn't go away. Might be a lag issue? I experienced quite some lagging issues since wotlk came out.
    Yes, you fail.
    -.-

I have not taken this too the wow forums on official site yet, should I? (have searched for it there, no resolts)