Nub Question of the Day

Okay I really oughtta be ashamed of myself, and I should know this answer, but I don't.

I understand that bears mitigate/avoid incoming damage through our higher (save the nerf arguments pls...not the point) armor, relatively high dodge percent, and relatively high stamina.

What is the difference between avoidance ( for bears, i'm assuming thats dodge only? maybe wrong) and mitigation?

I've noticed some people use the words interchangeably while others cite different numbers for each. Can someone please define the differences and how they apply to bears?

Re: Nub Question of the Day

I agree people tend to interchange the words (which is wrong to do) in my understanding Avoidance applies to the incoem damage being completly avoided IE through dodge, block or a parry, where as mitigation simply reduces the amount of damage taken either through armour or partial blocks.

In terms for a Bear your avoidance would be dodging, which pre-3.0 was extrodinarily high, meaning the incoming attack did no damage at all.
    Your Mitigation is the huge amounts of armour you can get (i know many bear tanks that actualy capped armour to its 75% reduction rate) this simply reduces the amount of damage you will actualy be hit for (as i said the cap is at a 75% reduction to incoming damage although i dont know the actual armour value needed to get that at 80)

Thats my understanding of it anyway, someone feel free to correct me if im wrong ^^ ;D
    I have loved to the point of madness; That which is called madness, That which to me, is the only sensible way to love.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eeket/advanced

Deleted

Avoidence is your chance to "avoid" damage (dodge, parry, partly block and such)
    Avoidence for bear would be your dodge + base chance for mob to miss.

Mitigation is how you "mitigate" damage, such as armor, resist, flat mitigation through stances, talents and such. Your mitigation is:

Melee: Armor x protector of the pack x barkskin (if used)
    Magic: Resistance x protector of the pack x barkskin (if used)

Not a newb question, I see experienced players and even Blizzard staff mistakenly use the terms avoidance and mitigation improperly or interchangeably. The two that responded after you gave the correct definitions. Usually though, in the context you can figure out what the person meant and non-tanks are easily forgiven for making this minor error.

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    Melee: Armor x protector of the pack x barkskin (if used)
    Magic: Resistance x protector of the pack x barkskin (if used)
    So, unless theres a hidden formula here, my incoming melee hits are reduced by the Armor (% DMG reduction when you mouseover I'm assuming) + 12% potp + barkskin?
    Must be some kind of diminishing return somewhere because assuming my current armor reduction is around 60% + 12% + 20% barkskin = 92% damage reduction??
    Seems unlikely that I'm right there because a better geared bear than myself who's approaching the 75% mitigation through pure armor could easily break 100% dmg mitigation. (reducing incoming dmg to zero??.)
    OR does it work that the max is 75% no matter what, and combining armor + potp + barkskin, no matter how high the number adds up to, can't possibly be over 75%?
    Even without Barkskin up, it seems relatively doable to hit 80-85% mitigation through armor and potp alone otherwise.

SO...clearly I'm not understanding everything there.

I think 75% is the max you can get no matter what, after that you can get more armour but the reduction stays at 75% i believe this also applies to armour + talents meaning 75% is the max and after that you may get more armour but the damage mitigation stays the same ;D
    I have loved to the point of madness; That which is called madness, That which to me, is the only sensible way to love.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eeket/advanced

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by vayron
    So, unless theres a hidden formula here, my incoming melee hits are reduced by the Armor (% DMG reduction when you mouseover I'm assuming) + 12% potp + barkskin?
    Must be some kind of diminishing return somewhere because assuming my current armor reduction is around 60% + 12% + 20% barkskin = 92% damage reduction??
    those values are not additive.

Assume 65% DR from armor on a 10k hit.
    ∙ Armor reduces it to 3500
    ∙ PoTP reduces it furthur (by 12% of remaining damage) to 3125 damage
    ∙ Barkskin reduces it by another 20% of the remaining damage to 2604

i think the reason why most people inter-change avoidance and mitigation is this...

avoidance + mitigation = total mitigation (this is how RAWR states it)

it is a reference to either total mitigation, DR mitigation OR avoidance it self. no one really says it like this, but this is what they mean. really instead of avoidance + mitigation = total mitigation it really should be...

Avoidance + Absorb Damage = Mitigation

all through avoidance applies to the ability that negate ANY damage (ie, dodge, parry, block, chance to BE missed). when mitigation is reduction of damage or absorb damage. this is where people confuse others do they mean DR mitigation or Total mitigation. people imply others should know the difference when they just say mitigation. also damage reduction is only PART of it then on the whole it is Absorb damage which makes the statement true.

not all absorb damage is a damage reduction
    but all damage reduction is an absorb damage

we all know avoidance a total negate of damage... FYI only why to raise chance to be missed is through defense or difference in level (ie lv 60 swinging at a lv80, the difference in defense skill)

now there are many ways to absorb damage... armor is one that we can control to increase our Damage Reduction (DR). but like Disc Priest that can PW:Shield or Divine Aegis this is another type way to absorb damage through temp increase in health. either way the 2 main factors to absorb damage is increase in either Damage Reduction or Health Points.

Mitigation / Time = Time To Live (TTL)

keep in mind TTL is with out heals. this is your burden on healers. tanks with small TTL mean more focus heals on tanks with no room to heal splash damage. while tanks that take this into consideration and increase their TTL gives time to healers to get that long cast time heal off that maybe more mana efficient or spread the love to others while still being able to support the tank.