Is a lock right for me? (pvp)

TLDR: will locks provide me a good challenge for small scale arenas and BG's? (class forever screwed =/= challenge)

Let me start off by saying I do NOT enjoy playing any class/spec that is fotm. I run mostly 2v2 arena w/ my bro, sometimes 3v3 with a friend.
    Have a druid, was resto only during s1, then feral/moonkin for the rest of the seasons. Was a good challenge.
    Have a shaman, ran him enhance for the last season. Only broke 1750 but started late in the season.
    Got a pally up to 70, then bliz buffed the crap out of them. I do not enjoy playing a pally now, its too ez-mode.

I could easily run boomkin, feral, resto sham, ret or holy pally with my brother's DK (or priest), but c'mon that's just retarded right now. Screw fotm, my bro and I enjoy a challenge. That said, its not really a challenge if there is no hope (i.e. elem sham in 2's).

Right now I'm stuck choosing between enhance sham and rolling a lock. I love classes that have tons of tools, and that have a high skill cap.

I have to believe bliz will fix this arena crap, or that they are magically right and full pvp gear will solve the problem (heh). I do not believe that bliz will let an entire class languish in the arena cespool its in now. I knew they wouldn't fix elem or enhance in past seasons because they had a viable spec (resto). Locks don't right now it seems, so I have to believe something will get changed.

Anyway, will locks provide me a good (not impossible) challenge for small scale arenas and BG's?

Re: Is a lock right for me? (pvp)

Warlocks are lot's of fun. Since season 2 they are very challenging to play successfully in arena. (ppl that said fear and dot's e z mode are those who never breached 1600...)

Right now your pretty pathetic as a lock, but hopeless ? I doubt it. I lvl'ed a dk to 80 .. so my warlock is only 71, but I still doubt it's so desperate that it would be impossible, and if it is blizzard won't let it that way (though they are slow as hell to solve any problem even when they are incredibly obvious...)

If you dont mind everyone targeting you and nuke you down in 2 secs. Because you have no cc, sure.

Other then that though, destruction is a lot of fun.

If you look at the other forums, there are definitely not as many people who have level locks to 70 and 80, throw their hands up in frustration to roll another class. That should give you an indication of how bad the class is. Sure us die hards (myself included) will continue to try, but pvp is a frustrating experience.

... and my alt is a priest!

Quote Originally Posted by Shamb
    Warlocks are lot's of fun. Since season 2 they are very challenging to play successfully in arena. (ppl that said fear and dot's e z mode are those who never breached 1600...)

Right now your pretty pathetic as a lock, but hopeless ? I doubt it. I lvl'ed a dk to 80 .. so my warlock is only 71, but I still doubt it's so desperate that it would be impossible, and if it is blizzard won't let it that way (though they are slow as hell to solve any problem even when they are incredibly obvious...)
    enjoy your deathknight. I did and now I cant go back to my lock...I cant...I just cant... /cry *whimper* He has been my main since vanilla wow and I can even look at him now... I tried oh god i tried but he's just too damn pathetic *whimper*

Locks suck in WoTLK anyway you look at it. The only thing good about locks is that we can solo through to 80.. Whoo hoooo... But we get one shotted in Heroics so the new Ghostform spec comes into play. I leveled my lock to 80 very easily. But going into Heroics sucks. Our dps still sucks and cloth still = death.

To OP: I'm in the same boat. I don't enjoy anything that's FotM, and when something I'm playing becomes FotM, I lose interest in it. So, I have a lot of chars

The trick, as I'm sure you know, is to balance "not FotM" against "Not functional"
    I think warlocks are or will end up at least "ok" in LK pvp. I don't know if I expect them to be OP ever or not.. But I have trouble imagining them being completely broken. Warlocks have a lot of tools, so it's hard to make accurate generalizations about them. If they're broken right now, I feel it will be fixed. I don't have any good evidence to explain how or why, but that's my view of it.

Given that the season has only just begun, my personal opinion: Locks could easily be the class you're looking for. It's hard to say right now, but they may just be a diamond in the rough. Finding out how to make them work sounds like the kind of challenge you're into.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo
    To OP: I'm in the same boat. I don't enjoy anything that's FotM, and when something I'm playing becomes FotM, I lose interest in it. So, I have a lot of chars

The trick, as I'm sure you know, is to balance "not FotM" against "Not functional"
    I think warlocks are or will end up at least "ok" in LK pvp. I don't know if I expect them to be OP ever or not.. But I have trouble imagining them being completely broken. Warlocks have a lot of tools, so it's hard to make accurate generalizations about them. If they're broken right now, I feel it will be fixed. I don't have any good evidence to explain how or why, but that's my view of it.

Given that the season has only just begun, my personal opinion: Locks could easily be the class you're looking for. It's hard to say right now, but they may just be a diamond in the rough. Finding out how to make them work sounds like the kind of challenge you're into.
    http://www.sk-gaming.com/arena/player <- good evidence. See any locks at all?

Quote Originally Posted by cmolnari
    Locks suck in WoTLK anyway you look at it. The only thing good about locks is that we can solo through to 80.. Whoo hoooo... But we get one shotted in Heroics so the new Ghostform spec comes into play. I leveled my lock to 80 very easily. But going into Heroics sucks. Our dps still sucks and cloth still = death.
    really...I toatally agree that locks go easily to 80 by solo.For the other part,i've known about that the top3 dps includs lock.which cites:1st paladin 2nd mage 3rd warlock...is that right?
    I do agree that lock may keep the mana always enough,is this a reason that locks get a higher dps?

Quote Originally Posted by sprinny
    really...I toatally agree that locks go easily to 80 by solo.For the other part,i've known about that the top3 dps includs lock.which cites:1st paladin 2nd mage 3rd warlock...is that right?
    I do agree that lock may keep the mana always enough,is this a reason that locks get a higher dps?
    On dps couldn't tell ya..but normally if a dk is good....1st DK, 2nd Lock, 3rd Mage or whatever other class is there.

Mana is only part...life tap is the biggest reason in my opinion.

level your warlock to 80 only use him when your guild or pugs need dps for the 25 man vault of archivon (for the deadly gear).

meanwhile level your shaman and pvp with it untill u see a warlock able to get 2000+ rating on the ladder.

lock pve dps is still one of the best ingame in the right hands.

thats what i am doing since i have the same main & alt.

Quote Originally Posted by zuxia
    On dps couldn't tell ya..but normally if a dk is good....1st DK, 2nd Lock, 3rd Mage or whatever other class is there.

Mana is only part...life tap is the biggest reason in my opinion.
    Mages and Warlcoks are very high, with rogues and hunters up there, pallies are middle of the pack atm.

PVE...certain fights favor certain specs and classes. Hunters have an easier time of it but that is about to change. A well played afflock is still competitive dps wise but its very skill intensive and affliction will tell on you good or bad.

PVP...broken atm. Pages of data, qq, suggestions, etc on it. Blizz is working on a fix but given the scope of the issue I wouldn't expect it soon. I'm hoping for parity by end of S5 but that doesn't fix the gear deficeit if they can fix it at all.

I really like my lock and enjoy pvp when I can kill my opponent and he can kill me. It adds excitement to a game that can get boring in raids. (wait for people to get sorted...summon stragglers....run through same motions week in and out, etc) That was more BT where a few nights were clearing farm content and only later in the week getting to progression. Somewhat SSC w' its huge amounts of trash vs bosses. T7 went to farm very quickly. Hopefully uldar wont be the same as SSC w' more trash than bosses.

Anyhow...I'd stay away from lock pvp atm. They level quick so if we get out of the crapper it wont take you long to level. FOTM is DK which start at 55, are retardedly OP leveling, PVP well, raid well in tank or dps roles...good all around. A huge number of FOTM BC warlocks went DK already. Those of us left are the stubborn and skilled.

A challenging yet not screwed class that rewards skill in arena is a mage IMO. They are glass cannons w' specific skills for specific situations. They have escapes and counters to melee for the most part and can raid well. Leveling one can be a bit painful but you'll only have to do that once. They also do well if you can feed them twinked gear from a tailor or suggar daddy lvl 70 to 80 toon. Given the melee mania caster blues are cheap and plentiful on the AH so little reason not to buy an easier leveling experience.
    User has been banned permanently for trolling.