Thread: Mind Flay

Mind Flay

[blizzquote="Maaven;http://blue.mmo-champion.com/13/13723443246-bug-mind-flay.html]Try this in the next 3.0.8 build. Casting Mind Flay on targets that were immune to its slow effect had some issues. [/blizzquote"]

Sounds promising, don't you think? If that was the issue casing the problem since the beginning.

But here comes the Glyph in mind, anyone experienced different resist-rate with or without the glyph?

Re: Mind Flay

Nezoia link=topic=31048.msg508856#msg508856 date=1229642289

But here comes the Glyph in mind, anyone experienced different resist-rate with or without the glyph?
    I had tested this a while ago with and without the glyphs, and didn't notice a change, but maybe its worth a check.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain

The idea would be to get less resists using the glyph untill next patch.

Im running the glyph now and avg'ing 2.5-3% miss in 25 mans, over the course of a entire night according to WWS. That is hit capped, and or non-hit capped, doesn't seem to matter which.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain

im running waaay under hit cap. around 30% crit raid bufffed. getting less than 1% miss. Crits can't miss and tbh the hit cap seems really uneeded (for this spreist) atm. im spiking at 3.3k sp and around 340haste and i will miss about 10times in a 4hour fast progression night.

Crits can miss... Because you can't crit if you don't hit the target in the first place, duh!

I'm just played a few days 40 hit under the cap, got some annoying misses on VE and Dev. Plague.

Back hit capped now, so pretty fine.

Deleted

Didn't they remove the constant 1% miss chance, even if you have 10000 hit rateing ? When WOTLK came out? I swear i read somewere it was...

Yes, they removed it with Patch 3.0, thus why hit cap is 17% and not 16% as it was in TBC.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Crits can miss... Because you can't crit if you don't hit the target in the first place, duh!

I'm just played a few days 40 hit under the cap, got some annoying misses on VE and Dev. Plague.

Back hit capped now, so pretty fine.
    While I wanted to write about how there's just one hit table and stuff (been reading alot on that stuff when I was raiding with my rogue in TBC), I looked it up on wowwiki again. To my surprise spells really use a 2 roll system:

Unlike the melee combat system, spell crit makes absolutely no difference to hit chance. All spells, regardless of whether they are treated as binary or not, roll hit and crit separately. Conceptually, the game rolls for your hit chance first, and if the spell hits you have a separate roll for whether it crits.

Overall chance to crit over all spells cast is thus affected by hit rate. To calculate overall crit rate, multiplying the two chances together:
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Wait, are you saying that melee white swings are using a 1 roll system?

I assuming that yellow attacks use 2 roll as well for melee?

All I know is that when we started a Naxx run last night, I was slightly under hit cap (-14 rating) and had some misses when I checked recount.

Then I got a new piece that brought me exactly to hit cap and from then on out, had no misses.

I'm keeping my hit cap.

15+ Year Old Account

Indeed, autoattacks use a 1 roll system, so a autoattack crit could have never missed, and a miss could never have been a crit. It is unknown (at least to my last information which was around 2.4) if yellow attacks use a 2 hit table or some other special system:

Melee special attacks, also called "Yellow-damage" melee attacks due to the color of their on-screen damage numbers, are not resolved the same way as white-damage melee attacks. Yellow damage attacks include all instant attacks (such as Overpower and Backstab) and all on-next-swing special attacks (such as Heroic Strike and Cleave).

The exact mechanism by which special attacks are resolved is not yet known. What is known, however, is that a special attack made against a mob or a shield-carrying player can be blocked and be a crit at the same time. This result is impossible under the mutually-exclusive attack results table described in the preceding section.
    Two-roll theory for melee special attacks

In a discussion thread at http://elitistjerks.com/showthread.php?t=9104 , a user named Vulajin kept track of his critical hit rate over many many Backstabs.

He corrected for all possible factors he could think of, and in the end discovered that the rate he got was consistent with his attack being resolved using two die rolls: A first roll to determine whether the attack missed (using the assumed miss chance for the mob targets he was attacking), and a second roll to determine whether an attack that didn't miss was a critical hit (using his tooltip Crit chance adjusted for the mob target's level).

If his data are accurate, and if the game mechanics for yellow-damage attacks haven't changed since the time that discussion thread was written, then there are at least two random numbers generated to determine the outcome of special attacks. It is unfortunate, though, that these tests were done with Backstab and not with a special attack that can be made against a mob from the front, e.g. Sinister Strike or Heroic Strike. Such data would be more useful, because attacks from the front can be parried and blocked.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Yup melle use 1 hit table.

Thats how a warrior could get crush ammunity with shield block by 'pushing' crush off thier hit table with +75% block added to natural block and parry.

as far as i'm aware yellow attacks are the same,.

Glyph of Mind Flay - Increases the range of your Mind Flay spell by 10 yards, but it only reduces the target's movement speed by 49%. (Old - no longer reduced the target's movement speed.)
    So now it reduces the movement speed by 1% less than without glyph?

Deleted

This glyph has been changed about 50 times now,the changes never make it off the PTR though....