Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Tanking 2H'ers (BS'ing)

I dont get it ....

I know DKs needed a 2H with tanking stats ... but why not just one ... why make 2 crafted ones, especially 2 swords (even though one looks like an axe, im guessing its just mislabelled on the tooltip)?

A DK will be the only class that actually uses the 2H to tank ... so why not make them drops and give Blacksmithing something USEFUL TO CRAFT

Re: New Tanking 2H'ers (BS'ing)

It _is_ useful. Think of all the DK's that will want to have them. Major cashage imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykel
    Major cashage imo.
    then I hope "Binds When Picked Up" is a tooltip typo too.

It _is_ useful. Think of all the DK's that will want to have them. Major cashage imo.
    According to mined data .... BOP item is BOP ....

This means a DK is still going to have to level BSing from 1-440+ ....

And 250-300 isnt cheap ... so is it really worth the cost? Especially when you can get comparable stats dual wielding, plus 2 runeforge enchants

15+ Year Old Account

I doubt it, hitting the Defence cap is easily done. If the weapons aren't BoP you might sell a few of the +Parry version, but I expect most DK's will stick with their DPS 2 handers. Though, with the changes to Howling Blast, a few people might start Duel Wielding.

It just seems contrary to what I perceived to be Blizz's item design. They've made items more generic, opening them up to more classes/specs. I would've imagined that Blizzard would have at least baked some defense into talents as a compensating measure. Sure, they'd be overbudget, but since most tanks have the trinity, then 1 def pt (not rating) per talent point would have countered the hardest part of getting to 540.

I personally went JC since I knew from doing my research during beta that there was a shortage of def items which a DK could use to reach the cap. Even if I exclude my (poorly) socketed trinkets, I would've been at about 520-525ish just from quest items and craftables. Baking that defense in would've just made it easier to cap.

Then again, I'm only a customer.

The DPS helm for BSing is the best in game atm ... however ...

THe rest of blacksmithing could be tossed out the door and no one would think twice ..

The only item I am using right now is the tank boots, and ive passed on comparable upgrades to other tanks.

I have about 40 stacks of saronite in the bank, ready to be used for skill ups if something for BSing actually comes around ... else ... its back to basics and getting a different crafting profession

Quote Originally Posted by Nipawin
    but why not just one ...
    If you look at the stats, one has defense rating and the other has parry. A DK just starting his tanking set is going to want the +defense axe to help reach uncrittable. A DK with better gear is already uncrittable and would prefer the avoidance on the +parry sword. Capiche?

And 250-300 isnt cheap ... so is it really worth the cost? Especially when you can get comparable stats dual wielding, plus 2 runeforge enchants
    DW tanking sucks though, the new def 2 hander is going to be amazing and free up lots of gear space for dk's to use more avoidance items. This is going to help a lot for letting us use our t7 tank set out of 10 mans, cause right now they don't give enough defense and you're better off using non set items out of nax or rep gear.

clicky for armory

DW tanking sucks for a DK.

Quote Originally Posted by b37x
    If you look at the stats, one has defense rating and the other has parry. A DK just starting his tanking set is going to want the +defense axe to help reach uncrittable. A DK with better gear is already uncrittable and would prefer the avoidance on the +parry sword. Capiche?
    If I could get 90 def on my weapon, I wouldnt have to gem some of my gear for defense. Any tank that I know, including myself, would always take the def on weapon because if frees up other gem or gear slots for different stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamehenge
    This is going to help a lot for letting us use our t7 tank set out of 10 mans, cause right now they don't give enough defense and you're better off using non set items out of nax or rep gear.
    This has pretty much always been status quo for tanks in the game. Your set gear isnt always the best at each slot and you have to look to outside pieces to get to that cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamb
    Ive grouped with a couple of DKs who DW tank ... never ever had a problem with them ....

If I could get 90 def on my weapon, I wouldnt have to gem some of my gear for defense. Any tank that I know, including myself, would always take the def on weapon because if frees up other gem or gear slots for different stats.
    Up to a certain gear level.

If your Uludar set provides enough +defense (no +def gems required and no +def enchants needed), then you might consider the avoidance weapon. Or not, but the option is there.

Sorry, guys. Totally missed the BoP part (as I main a ret pally, those weaps aren't too useful for me anyway). :P

Koumaru

Quote Originally Posted by Shamb
    Since when? Higher threat output and avoidance is a bad thing now? Give me a dual-wielding frost tank over an unholy dies-in-two-hits "tank" any day.

DW Tanking does not produce higher threat. Appropriately geared, it CAN, in some situations, produce comparable threat. At 80, Unholy, I'm pulling a consistent 1.8-2k (single target) dps while tanking. I've yet to see a dual-wielder come close to that. In beta, with full T7/25 gear, I wasn't pulling that while DW. DW'ing tank weapons does give you some stat advantages, but that is purely an itemization issue. It's a valid choice, it *can* work, but if you've been watching the PTR's you know some changes are coming down the pike that bump Unholy from the preferred tank spec and firmly put Blood in its place (and blood is abysmal with DW).

For the person who says hitting Defense cap is easy, yes, it is, but judging from your reply I'm going to assume you aren't raiding. Hitting cap is easy. Staying above it is not. I've got 5 epics that are massive threat, mitigation, and avoidance upgrades that I can't equip because they have less defense than my blues and would drop me to crittable (and that's with the defense trinkets). Epic gear, especially set gear, has less Defense on it than heroic/crafted gear. It's mind boggling, infuriating, but true. This problem isn't limited to DK's but hits them the hardest, as we have three less slots to stack defense than a warrior, 2 less than a paladin.

I'm really hoping that the BoP status of these weapons is a mistake. Then again, I was hoping the Devs were paying attention when DK tanks in the beta were telling them that we can't afford to equip our T7 because of the defense drought.
    Wow Forum accomplishment: autobanned for using the following phrase:
    My therapist notes my intrapersonal skills suffer from love of the grape.

Koumaru

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt
    DW'ing tank weapons does give you some stat advantages, but that is purely an itemization issue.
    Or more of a stacking dual [Rune of the Fallen Crusader] procs issue. That's the whole reason I can't understand why DK tanks are still running with 2-handers. It's been theorycrafted and tested to death. You end up with similar dps (and tps) and at least 2% more parry chance than with a 2-hander.

Unholy the preferred tanking spec in live? Are you tanking 5-man heroic trash or raids?

...most DK tanks, especially raid tanks are unholy

but anyway, seriously, BoP? i missed that

fuck i hope thats changed, my warrior alt is my BS, my DK main is a JC ><

Quote Originally Posted by Koumaru
    Unholy the preferred tanking spec in live? Are you tanking 5-man heroic trash or raids?
    Share your wisdom - what makes unholy worse tanks than frost. I'm curious, since you must have been talking as if you have tested it.

Anyway, defense cap is no problem when you are full epic - so the only upgrade would be the sword with parry. Yet it would gimp me threat-wise in comparison with the Inevitable Defeat - so i'll just forge the sword for heavy melee fights and switch to the mace for trash an magic tanking with spellshattering.

Well i certainly hope that the BoP part becomes BoE since i cant be arsed to lvl BS for only that tanking weapon. The weapon itself is really nice since it gives with the new rune enchant 105 def, which would clear up some def changes in the gear
    My pala (Cleai)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=Cleai

there are 2 for all the TG fury wariors that will be tanking..... :-\ lol