Thread: Smite?

Deleted

Smite?

So I got bored at work and decided to try make a smitespec, I will also try it out on some dummies later.
    (note, I will never smite for pve-raiding)

first thought

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVsbzhxtrxoZ0Et0bbqbZG0b

Just basic sw > DP > holyfire > mindblast > smitespam.

second thought

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVsbz...0Et0bbVbZG0f0o

Being bit nostalgic about mindflay <3

But basically same rotation as first spec, but when surge of light procs cast mindflay and clip last with smite.

I searched for some smite builds but last ones i found where from before expac hit, so thought i'd make yet another lolsmite post.

Give me your thoughts

EDIT: sec see i posted the same spec twice.
    Fixed

Re: Smite?

Dude, i have no idea...but i really want to know what the dps would be like with decent gear. I wonder if theres a way to get enough regen to spamcast it in pve or if an offensive pvp spec is possible...but still...its a smitespam spec

Deleted

Crit and Hit would be very important stats Regenwise. For surge of light and spirittap procs.

Spellpower always comes along with gear.

Quote Originally Posted by iebe
    Crit and Hit would be very important stats Regenwise. For surge of light and spirittap procs.

Spellpower always comes along with gear.
    Spirit Tap only works for MB/SWD not Smite.

Spirit Tap only works for MB/SWD not Smite.

LOL l2read the talent?

He was clearly commenting on Improved Spirit Tap.

And regarding the OPs build, I wouldn't recomend going for Smite spec that include any shadow talents, you want to get the Holy Concentration for instant smites if you absolutly want to do such a horrible talent build.

And Mind Flay is utterly useless in PvP if you don't have Improved Shadowform.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater

LOL l2read the talent?
    Yes, IST is to what I was referring- clearly. (Even more obvious since the OP stated that crit would be handy for ST) Regular ST is a leveling talent, IST is more a DPS talent. (mana management, and twisted faith).

That being said.... IST still doesnt proc off of smite, and in all honesty, just go shadow if you want to dps, and wait for dual spec to be able to heal and dps.

from memory simulationcraft showed that a holy smite build wasn't even close to shadow... something under or around 2K dps.

The smite build comes up every now and then, and let me be frank, it does not work. Your DPS will be way too low.

--

You have no talents to increase the crit coefficient beyond 1.5x. Smite crits will be low.
    This will be one of your major hinderences from making Smite work.

You won't have enough mana to sustain it, even with Improved Spirit Tap.
    Replenishment will help, but you will be OOM while chainsmiting. Not as much as at lvl 70, but still.
    Priests aren't designed around spamming spells, and although shadow and discipline get talents to alleviate this, you won't have them.

Surge of Light will help your mana, but lower your DPS.

--

With each smite hitting for about 2.7k, critting for 3.5k, that's around 1.2k single target DPS alone. With full naxx gear, you may be able to reach the 1.6kDPS smite mark.

You can improve this by keeping
    SW:Pain, Devouring Plague and Holy Fire ticking, while pushing in as many smites as possible.
    Critting with mind blast to get that 20% spirit boost will also help you (Spiritual Guidance), so it's a worthwhile spell to cast beyond the extra DPS. The buff should be up about 25% of the time.

With the proper gear and rotation, you can probably reach 2500 DPS on a single target. On multiple targets, this can be much improved. Priests are very good at multi target environments as SW:Pain can be spammed and mind sear totally rocks. I still remember a shadowpriest in my guild scream with joy when he passed 20k DPS with a single mind sear. A smite priest should be able to reach 2/3rds of that given the same rare situation.

But for single target DPS, you still won't get close to a real DPSer in terms of throughput. In fact, someone already simulationcrafted this - look for the priest_38_28_5 entries. This simulation did not use devouring plague, but you can see that it's not really working.

http://code.google.com/p/simulationc...i/SampleOutput

So, the big question is whether going smite is worth it. The only benefir of not going deep shadow is that you can heal more easily than a shadowpriest, as you don't need the shadowform. But you won't heal particularly better than a shadowpriest, you both skipped almost all the healing talents. You will have less mana than the shadow counterpart, even while using all your cooldowns, you will be OOM after 250 seconds. You will do less damage. As such, I don't really see the point.

Go for the dual spec setup instead
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Surge of Light will help your mana, but lower your DPS.
    Do you have math to support this? I know pre-LK you needed roughly 67% crit in order for SoL to actually lower your DPS, I'd be interesting to know what it is now.

On multiple targets, this can be much improved. Priests are very good at multi target environments as SW:Pain can be spammed and mind sear totally rocks. I still remember a shadowpriest in my guild scream with joy when he passed 20k DPS with a single mind sear. A smite priest should be able to reach 2/3rds of that given the same rare situation.
    I seriously doubt a smite priest can get anywhere near that. Shadow boosts Mind Sear by 4% crit and 39% damage, and brings the coefficient from 83.3% to 98.3%.

One thing to keep in mind about Smite if you spec that way is your mana pool; you don't want any haste until you know your mana pool can support it for the length of whatever fights you're doing.

Surge of Light:

I might have been a bit hasty about this, as I just used the old TBC "knowledge". And I fear I might be wrong, let's walk the numbers and find out!

Smite gets 71.40% of your spellpower added to the base damage, and is increased by 10% by Searing Light. Focused power increase this by another 4%.
    Smite does a base of 707-793 damage, or 750 average.

Assuming 20% crit, and 2021 spellpower, on average, your smite will do (750+(2021*0.714)) * 1.14 = 2500 damage.

When critting, you do 1.5x damage, or 3750. At 20% crits, that's an all time average of 2750 Damage per smite.
    At 2.5 seconds cast time, you would reach 1100 DPS precisely.

--

Enter SoL. As we all know, Surge of Light gives a free instant smite, but non-critting. The free instant smite is a pure 2500 damage, divided over one GCD, or 1666 DPS. Substantially higher than the setup above, but as your crit rating increase, the difference will get smaller. At 66.6% crit, Surge of Light will start giving absolutely no extra DPS. But getting to 66.6% crit won't happen!

As such, yes I was wrong about SoL reducing your damage.

However, the instant smite will also be affected by twin disciplines in WoTLK, which will increase the damage by 25%. And this is a new, major point in WoTLK which will skewer the old TBC calculations even further. This 25% is not multiplied to the end, however, it is added in to the 10%+4% bonus we already have. Ensuring that our base DPS of the SoL smite is given as (750+(2021*0.714)) * 1.39 = 3050 damage. Or 2033 DPS. Your non-SoL smite can't even reach that level if you had 100% crits.

As such, I was VERY wrong about SoL reducing your damage.

--

Assuming the setup earlier.
    On average, every tenth cast being a SoL smite, you would get 9 casts of Smite at an average 1100 DPS, and one SoL smite at an average of 2033 DPS.
    By spamming smite only, you would do 2750*9 + 3050 = 27800 damage over the course of 9*2.5 + 1.5 = 24 seconds. Or at an average of 1150 DPS.
    You can increase this by tossing in SW:Pain and Devouring plague, but passing 1600 DPS will be extremely hard on single target DPS. That's not a lot in a world where other DPS classes are close to reaching the 3000 DPS mark.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Deleted

If Blizzard would make a viable smite dps spec, then priests would be damn close to a hero class, just give shadow healing abilities and start at 55 and voila.

Quote Originally Posted by iebe
    If Blizzard would make a viable smite dps spec, then priests would be damn close to a hero class, just give shadow healing abilities and start at 55 and voila.
    Lol! Now put some plate armor in there too and we are godmode! :P God has listened to our prayers -.-" Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglarana
    Lol! Now put some plate armor in there too and we are godmode! :P God has listened to our prayers -.-" Yay!
    and u forgot that we can dualwield 2 maindhand caster weapons

... and call it ShadowKnightHealLolret? -.-
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujiama
    What's the worst thing about playing a Paladin?
    Having to tell your parents that you're gay.

This is a bit off topic, and it wasn't all that much smiting, but something that was a lot of fun was a couple of heroic instances we ran pre-3.0 with a prot/retri paladin (retri down to Imp Sactity Aura, rest prot) and four 34/27/0 priests.

Pull a pack or two, threatlessly aoe them all down with Holy Nova which also usually did enough HPS to keep the tank up (when it wasn't enough we had plenty of Renews and PoMs). Throw in SoL smites (hitting 5 allies and 5ish mobs with nova procs it almost always) to keep the nova spam from eating all your mana. Trash fights were actually really fast since noone was wasting any dps-time on healing and the paladin did quite neat aoe damage himself. There was a lot of drinking though, I'll admit that.

Botanica was a good instance for it. Bosses were downed with one priest going healing and the rest smiting of course. Great fun! Four Power Infusions!

Holy Nova does better damage nowadays, but I'd miss Sanctity Aura and Judgement of the Crusader too much to try and repeat it now I think (and I haven't tried to calculate how well the novas would heal). The whole synergy of the group was what made it fun, plus the concept of threatless aoe that also heals of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananan
    This is a bit off topic, and it wasn't all that much smiting, but something that was a lot of fun was a couple of heroic instances we ran pre-3.0 with a prot/retri paladin (retri down to Imp Sactity Aura, rest prot) and four 34/27/0 priests.

Pull a pack or two, threatlessly aoe them all down with Holy Nova which also usually did enough HPS to keep the tank up (when it wasn't enough we had plenty of Renews and PoMs). Throw in SoL smites (hitting 5 allies and 5ish mobs with nova procs it almost always) to keep the nova spam from eating all your mana. Trash fights were actually really fast since noone was wasting any dps-time on healing and the paladin did quite neat aoe damage himself. There was a lot of drinking though, I'll admit that.

Botanica was a good instance for it. Bosses were downed with one priest going healing and the rest smiting of course. Great fun! Four Power Infusions!

Holy Nova does better damage nowadays, but I'd miss Sanctity Aura and Judgement of the Crusader too much to try and repeat it now I think (and I haven't tried to calculate how well the novas would heal). The whole synergy of the group was what made it fun, plus the concept of threatless aoe that also heals of course.
    I've definitely messed around with that and loved it; makes me kinda sad, to be fair, that Sanc Aura's gone. It had its purpose, of course.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~