anyone care to help a noob priest

I just made level 41. whooopie I know LOL

Anyway several friends keep telling me to make a different chr.
    Man priest used to level fast and all that but now they are duds.

I am shadow build and at 41 the quest have me killing 36-39 level mobs.
    Not a big deal but I am just killing soooo damn slow.
    My dps is 79
    79?

And although I am not dying from ads I have to really watch myself.

Has shadow been nerfed and now leveling is a joke or are they just stupid?
    How can I increase my damage?
    What rotation should I be doing?

If I have a mob my level or worried about a bad pull.
    PW shield, mb, pain, maybe a plague. then wand like crazy.
    stacking int and spirit on every item.
    Keeping everything as close to my level as I can.

Re: anyone care to help a noob priest

hiya, i had the same problem levellin my priest aswell, shadow is still the way to go, but at around 45 you notice a sharp increase in your soloing abilities when you start gearing up.

My rotation was: mindblast from afar, dot them up and just keep mind flaying them down, alternating between mindblast and mindflay.

I rarely used vamp embrace after 45 cause by the time i wasted a GCD putting it on, the mobs would have been dead.

Trust me, you have done the hard work, its pretty easy from here out and its definatly rewarding and worth it when u get to maxx (healing ftw)

you're doing it wrong.

MB -> Pain -> Flay -> Flay (or wand) -> Dead
    It's just a game.

yeah

MB -> take a step back(run sideway) while putting pain -> flay ->flay -> wand

thanks guys I am going to get to at least 50 before I scream and quit ROFL
    Will try the better rotations tonight.

oh yea have to ask no one said shield in their rotation, use it?
    Is it a waste except for ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchimitch
    yeah

MB -> take a step back(run sideway) while putting pain -> flay ->flay -> wand
    This. I was 30 or so before I found this out. After that, leveling was quick.

works like a charm like the poster before me said. i also fear alot, and go to the next while the target dies from pain.

Was I the only one who levelled as shadow without using shadow form? I found MF to be pathetic soloing spell simply because you'd get one or two ticks off before pushback. Total waste of mana.

I'd:
    Holy Fire
    Mind Blast
    SWP
    Smite
    Dead.

Easier to keep myself up that way as well as I could renew/heal as I needed.

just find stronger turtles!

Quote Originally Posted by Neeklus
    Was I the only one who levelled as shadow without using shadow form? I found MF to be pathetic solo simply because you'd get one or two ticks off before pushback. Total waste of mana.
    Had you been at full range and walked backwards while casting Pain, you could get 2 full casts off before mob got to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks
    oh yea have to ask no one said shield in their rotation, use it?
    Is it a waste except for ads?
    Shield is a waste of mana vs 1 target.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeklus
    Was I the only one who levelled as shadow without using shadow form? I found MF to be pathetic solo simply because you'd get one or two ticks off before pushback. Total waste of mana.
    if you do it right, the mob you are facing doesnt reach you till you are done your second MF... sometimes its dead before that

MB+SWP+Mindflay .. mob should be at 25% hp... wand+swp ticks should kill it (if not MF/MB 1 more time) this gives you time to enter 5sec regen combined with spirit tap when mob dies your mp will be over 75% all the time.

Shadow leveling without shadow form is like a warrior leveling arms while being in defensive stance.. makes no sense.

ps: MF crits now
    It's just a game.

I preferered Shield and DoT up 3-4 mobs, apply VE and MF my hp back. Try avoid using Mind Blast at all, it's horrible expensive mana wise. Atleast untill you get Vampiric Thouch. Work wonders :-)

Sucks that you can't downrank the shield now, but should still be allright.

this gives you time to enter 5sec regen combined with spirit tap when mob dies your mp will be over 75% all the time.
    If you use the FSR while grinding, you're doing it wrong.

Also, Spirit Tap only works properly if you got Meditation as well. It's totally crap compared to Evocation or Lifetap/Dark Pact/Watershield.

forgot to ask any glyphs worth getting for shadow?

major: [item=42415] and [item=42407] are good... i guess. not sure if [item=42408] works with shadowform. maybe [item=42402] if you use innerfire.... pretty useless glyphs imo.
    minor: [item=43371] and [item=43370]
    It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    major: [item=42415] and [item=42407] are good... i guess. not sure if [item=42408] works with shadowform. maybe [item=42402] if you use innerfire.... pretty useless glyphs imo.
    minor: [item=43371] and [item=43370]
    wow glyph of shadow, thats really good.

and yea def pic up glyphs luxurys i didnt have lvling

[item=42408] Work with ShadowForm, it's a free in-shadowform heal. Perfect for leveling.

Glyph of Inner Fire is useless, since you don't gain any real benefits form it before 72.

Glyph of Fortitude is awesome for lowlevel leveling.

Glyph of Levitate is a must, nobody should be without it.

15+ Year Old Account

A lot of people say using shield when only facing one target is a waste of mana but I ALWAYS did. And someone else suggested Holy Fire which is a terrible idea for a shadow priest. Not only do you drop Shadowform, but the dot tick for it is abysmal. At least they made it worth casting for a soloing holy priest.

I'd do exactly what people suggested, Pain, Flay, Flay, Flay. I also SWD to finish them off, but that can be grisly if you don't kill them with it. "crap, now what? wand?"

SWD makes alot of sense for a level ~40 priest, yes it does.... And lets totally forget about VT scaling, yes indeed.

Obviously, answering was fitting to the question. When you got VT -- use it.

SW:P and SW is very expensive (the latter especially), so I would recomend trying to avoid using SW:P when you get VT, if you can multidot targets.

VT + Mind Blast = Replenishment along with improved VE and MF crits make us very powerfull in soloing, and I think this is alot more beneficial than using SW:P

(or meh, perhaps was it due to my 4xT6 bonus and SWP gear for leveling 70-80, I don't know)

ok I will get the glyphs and give all this a try.
    Is stacking int or spirit the most important? yes I have put owl on most everything.
    But I am not sure if 50/50 is better or worse than 100% of the other ones.

glyph of shadows.. While in Shadowform, your spell critical strikes increase your spell power by 10% of your Spirit for 10 sec.

really glyph of fortitude. Its a 30 minute spell I don't see 50% of the cost as I will always renew it out of combat.

overall looking thru the list I would say that priest not only get nerfed to heck in shadow the glyphs of priest in general suck.

Nezoia it was the gear....I think you scared most of the mobs to death LOL

does levitate work with mount or on foot only?
    Man that skill on my DK was great in tundra and howling. Just ride over everything...

Levitate only work on foot, yes. (And dismounts you on cast).

You should get spirit for leveling, in reasonable amounts. A higher mana pool will still help, specially when you get replenishment.