Shadow PVP. New kind of talent.

Copied from my original post at the official forums. Thought I'd see what non-EU have to say about this.

THIS IS A 100% SHADOW PVP SUGGESTION
    IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT SHADOW PVP; LEAVE THE TOPIC NOW.

So!
    I'm sure I am not the only one who's tired of being ripped apart by melee for the last two years, and Blizzard seem to have trouble finding a solution. So I thought I'd give a hand.

I was brainstorming a bit and thought it would be cool to have a new kind of talent added to the game instead of just the usual plain "when you do this you crit more" or "you can now do <ability>"
    Obviously what came to mind first was merging the two of them.
    Since we're having so much trouble with melee, that was my second criteria.

What I thought of was merging an on-proc-ability like the old 'mongoose bite' for hunters, with the destruction warlock talent 'backlash'.
    My idea was something like the following:

Physical attacks made against you while in Shadowform, have a 5/10/15%chance to allow you to afflict an enemy target with Psychosis.

Psychosis
    14% of base mana
    Instant cast
    10 yd range
    5 sec cooldown
    Afflict an enemy target with Psychosis, causing it to inflict 200% weapon damage to itself, and has a chance to make the target flee in horror for 4 seconds.

So in short: you talent this with up to three points, giving you an ability you can only use when a melee (or hunter) is beating on you. The ability itself has a chance to fear for a short while to give some breathing room, and the damage inflicted depends on how powerful your enemy is.

Perhaps even make dual wielders inflict double damage to themselves, since they have a lower weapon damage percentage?
    The talent could be hooked to Shadowform or something. We all love that form and I bet a lot would like to stay in it for more than 4 seconds every fight.

P.S. I had written a much better and detailed idea, but this stupid forum logged me out when i tried to post it, so I had to redo the whole thing. *sigh*

Re: Shadow PVP. New kind of talent.

This used to exist in another form on the Dreadmist and Deathmist Raiments, the warlock Dungeon Set 1 and 2. Imagine how much fun that would be to have a mob that hit you to get insta-feared

http://wowmb.net/index.php?page=Armor

Dreadmist:
    4 pieces: When struck in combat has a chance of causing the attacker to flee in terror for 2 seconds.

Deathmist was 6 set bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by wxcopy
    This used to exist in another form on the Dreadmist and Deathmist Raiments, the warlock Dungeon Set 1 and 2. Imagine how much fun that would be to have a mob that hit you to get insta-feared

http://wowmb.net/index.php?page=Armor

Dreadmist:
    4 pieces: When struck in combat has a chance of causing the attacker to flee in terror for 2 seconds.

Deathmist was 6 set bonus.
    That is only a small part of what I had in mind though, and as far as I know there hasn't been added anything of the like the last -- what .. 3 years?

I like the idea, but the chance be like 50% and then make the cooldown a bit longer, makes it more fair because eventually the horror effect will become less and less and together with fear... it becomes almost nothing ^^ so i'd say 50% chance on horror effect and 10-15 sec CD =) i like the idea. we should get an extra attack hehe

Thank you for creating yet-another-thread with yet-another-useless-new-ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Thank you for creating yet-another-thread with yet-another-useless-new-ability.
    How is it useless?

Think History. When have Blizzard ever implemented a new spell idea made by the community (with the exception of Titan's Grip, since Samwise was a big fan of it before it was suggested).

And when have Blizzard ever introduced new spells / replacement spells mid content?

And do you got any clue whatsoever how much testing implementing a whole new spell takes?

So yes, it's useless, no nobody cares about your idea. If you want to contribute, find some suggestions that make sense, such as modifications on cooldowns, dimishing returns, holy/shadow placement, and eventual small talent tweaks to assist the former.

Think History. When have Blizzard ever implemented a new spell idea made by the community (with the exception of Titan's Grip, since Samwise was a big fan of it before it was suggested).

And when have Blizzard ever introduced new spells / replacement spells mid content?

And do you got any clue whatsoever how much testing implementing a whole new spell takes?

So yes, it's useless, no nobody cares about your idea. If you want to contribute, find some suggestions that make sense, such as modifications on cooldowns, dimishing returns, holy/shadow placement, and eventual small talent tweaks to assist the former.
    You shouldn't blast anybody trying to make shadowpriests better.

I like the idea of melee getting hurt when they hit me in shadowform. I don't know why Blizzard hasn't thought of it.

Also a shadow version of Divine Hymn would be nice or something that doesn't take us out of shadowform.

Hell even a glyph that allows shadowpriest to heal in shadowform would be great.

It's been a while since the last 'mid-content', so I can't remember many, but to mention one: Shadowstep.
    Yes I do. I can tell you it takes just as much testing as any other issue might. No balance problem can be solved without testing.

Modifications on cooldowns .. the only place I see where that would be handy in PvP on our melee issue, is Psychic Scream. Why would you want to lower the cooldown on a spell that is broken a second after you apply it?
    Yeahyeah, put Divine Hymn and fear on seperate cooldowns and DR's, we've heard it a million times already - why would you keep repeating that? I find creative solutions much more interesting than spamming the same replies over and over again. Doubt I'm the only one.

I thinks it's a great idea! And Nezoia could just fuck off noone want's to hear your opinion anyway. ''Noone want's to hear yours either Nixicio buhu QQ'' lol.

I think the point Nezoia was making is that you can like the idea all you like but its not going to be implemented... so why waste your energy on something that will never be introduced to the game?

Your best bet is to channel that energy into existing spells/abilities/mechanics instead of inventing things that don't exist and never will.

Practical ideas > wish lists