Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Priest] What would you do while leveling?

I'm level 72 right now. gone from 70-72 by doing instances and instance related quests. Even with the rested bonus (of which i have a lot) its getting really really slow now...

i'm specced pve disc. My gear is mostly healing cloth. Questing is a pain in the ass. Instancing is a lot of fun, but, if my concentration lapses its tough to recover.(ie heal the mage 10 times while wondering why my tank is getting low on hp.. we've all been there admit it!)

Should i:

stay disc and quest poorly, heal ok, but have tonnes of fun
    spec holy and quest ok? but i can probably heal really well.
    spec shadow and quest ok, dps poorly and heal poorly...

what do you guys think?
    It's just a game.

Re: [Priest] What would you do while leveling?

Go shadow, and dps properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    my gear is all healer type shiz.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...stmane&n=Amgyn
    It's just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    stay disc and quest poorly, heal ok, but have tonnes of fun
    --^ This. Fun > lolquest deeps.

Also, if you get Spirit Tap (improved or unimproved) your ability to quest suddenly goes from "terrible" to "not quite as fast as shadow". It's true.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I leveled as Disc/Holy from 60-80, enjoyed it quite a bit, I don't really remember what my spec was exactly, but I had Surge of Light and Power Infusion and I enjoyed it. Instances are so easy now that healing wasn't a problem and I was able to stack up healing gear with spirit and enjoy the extra spell power.

I think my spec around your level was something like this.

Once I hit 80, I respec'd 14/57 Holy, but I'm considering messing around with another hybrid like this for grinding out the rest of the Northrend quests/dailies, rather than go Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Amgyn
    And?

You should get upgrades fast. It's only fags like me who couldn't replace any gear from 70-80

But you could spend 50g upgrading all your gems to 14 spellpower for some slightly easier grinding. I envy you for having the Earring.

But really, Shadowfiend+Dispersion is epic for leveling.

I leveled with my 14/47 Holy spec and just put my new pts into Spirit Tap for faster leveling. I shifted pts to Holy after getting what I need from Shadow--ended up hitting 80 questing with 14/52/5. But I kept this spec so I was a viable healer for spur of the moment instance groups.

I didn't have a problem with this partially cuz I hit 80 only questing in Howling Fjord, Borean Tundra, Dragonblight, and then a chain in Storm Peaks; interspersed with some instances. I ended up doing a lot of green quests which were easy enough to grind through by myself with my mediocre-at-best holy dps

I really didn't end up replacing my 70 epics until heroics at 80, just regemmed the pieces with the new gems. northrend quest gear is strange...I stuck with my BT gear with a good distribution of stam/int/spi/spellpower rather than pick up random greens with int/spellpower and nothing else.

And?

You should get upgrades fast.
    With the changes to crit and such you gear isn't terrible for pve shadow lvling.
    I agree with Nezoia ....regem for all SP, and go shadow. You'll burn thru quests, and mobs fairly quickly.

I had pretty decent gear and didn't replace anything till naxx, however quest blues and boe's were pretty close to ending Sunwell gear at 80.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain

listen to nezoia

he is god

but seriously
    even just spirit tap will help immensly

my -shadow-priest:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...gnaros&n=Vesta

I do think your gear is even more viable, and I have to go trough alot of troubles to get oom.
    Reason why I'm going 10pts holy is for desperate prayer asap, so I can go dot dot dot dot dot shield dot dot dot dot dot dot dot dot dot desperate prayer renew shield loot loot loot loot loot

other then that, since the spellpower change, its easymode healing normal instances as offspec priest
    My Rogue
    altoholic since 2000 (Diablo II release)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    --^ This. Fun > lolquest deeps.

Also, if you get Spirit Tap (improved or unimproved) your ability to quest suddenly goes from "terrible" to "not quite as fast as shadow". It's true.
    Although teal, this. No matter what spec, no matter what you plan to do while leveling, come level 13 you should have 3 points in Spirit Tap. Those points should then only be removed upon hitting the level cap. It's that freaking good.

Also, leveling as deep disc with spirit tap is lots of fun, easy to heal instances, and does nice damage still with penance, smite and holy fire.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Disc Leveling with points in Spirit Tap is not actually beaten by any specs.

@Op, if as Disc with Holy fire opening, 2x smite and penance as finishing you quest "Poorly" you're doing something wrong, really wrong.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart

@Op, if as Disc with Holy fire opening, 2x smite and penance as finishing you quest "Poorly" you're doing something wrong, really wrong.
    True, but once you hit 75 and get Mindsear, nothing beats shadow for aoe bombing while questing
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    True, but once you hit 75 and get Mindsear, nothing beats shadow for aoe bombing while questing
    Except for Mages or Warlocks that actually dps their main target with AoE's, instead of everything else around it.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I personally went disc/holy while leveling so that I could still be a healer during leveling, but I didn't focus on instances, simply did them when someone needed a healer (which was always the case). Once 80 thats when I went back to Holy/disc, as while I love disc healing and think there is nothing more fun, the boss wanted me to be holy/disc =/

Quote Originally Posted by Izenhart
    Wrong, beaten by Shadow. And really, you should know how to play shadowpriest as a affliction warlock by now.

Multi-dotting is the key. Disciplin is like leveling a paladin as holy, stupid on a high level.

And I leveled two priests during Vanilla (one each faction), I'm pretty confident that shadow IS the best spec for leveling. If you can play it right.

15+ Year Old Account

I would change to Shadow, so you can make more PvE in 80 as Discipline!

Nezoia can you PLEASE give me a short instruction how to effectively level a shadowpriest? Maybe im doing it wrong.
    I LOVE the shadowpriest, the flair, his skills and the unique look of the shadowform, but there are several things that bother me right now while leveling (lvl54).

Imho Spriest is the hardest class to kill 2+ Mobs at the same time. Sure, you can use Fear but you often get adds which isnt so great.
    What do you do here? Use your shield? (mana-inefficiency heellloooo!)

Another point: How do you kill single-targets? My way is: VT, SW:P, VE, (running back while on GCD), Mindflay once (then the mob reaches me, no more mindflays possible, without shield), Mindblast, wand to death... Big mistakes here? Fear/Shield vs. single mobs?

Should i spec 2 points into Impr. Shadowform while leveling? It doesnt help me with Mindflay getting interrupted

How do you kill ranged targets? Again, mindflay isnt viable without Shield. (Before 3.0.2 i used a lower shield rank just to be able to cast one mindflay without getting interupts.)

Thanks in advance!

iddqd

Quote Originally Posted by iddqd
    Imho Spriest is the hardest class to kill 2+ Mobs at the same time. Sure, you can use Fear but you often get adds which isnt so great.
    What do you do here? Use your shield? (mana-inefficiency heellloooo!)
    If one's undead, shackle undead. If one's humanoid, mind control. If neither of the mobs are undead or humanoid, just tank them. Shadowpriests aren't as squishy as other clothies (due to inner fire's armor buff, shadowform's 15% physical damage reduction, VE's healing, and PW:shield's damage absorbing ability). You could just burn one mob down and, if needed, fear and then run away, rest, and deal with the other mob(s). All this is assuming the mobs are close to your level. :P

Didnt consider MC, thanks a lot!