Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

[Idea] New Spell "Power Word: Life"

Hey

As posted in another thread (Link):

Power Word: Life [20yd Range]
    15-20 min Cooldown
    Requires: Devout Candle
    "Returns the targets spirit to the body. Using this ability will sacrifice the priest and transfer his remaning hitpoints and mana to the target. This ability does not allow the priest to return as the Spirit of Redemption and applies the Weakened Spirit effect which prevents being resurrected for 1 min."

What do you guys think about it? OP? Well balanced ability? I'd like to have it instead of the Lightwell or even Guardian Spirit.

Q&A:

Weakened Spirit -> Will affect the priest casting Power Word: Life
    Cast -> Not sure yet, i thought about 2 sec channeling
    Talent tree -> I'd go for holy 31 points or even 51 instead of GS / LW

*edit* Added rang, CD and reagent requirement.

Venara
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Re: [Idea] New Spell "Power Word: Life"

I would gladly take this over lightwell. A nasty brez =p

Ever been in a ten man where all the dps dies and ur left with 3 healers and a tank?

haha this would be PERFECT lol

how bout Power word: Sacrifice - Takes an amount of mana equal to half of the priests pool and disperses it between the priests party

(kinda goes along with the SW:d idea where you have to take a hit to benefit yourself/others, you got a 20k mana pool, take 10k and divide it between the four members of the party. 2500 each. 10 minute cd or so)

So you want more healing spell than any other class, an unlimited supply of mana pretty much, three aoe heals, shields, Spirit of Redemption (the most overpowered healing talent ever) AND a "Battle Rez" for dps or a tank in raids. Not only is that a terrible idea but completely un-necessary for your class

Does the Weakened Spirit go on the target or the priest that cast it? What would be the cool down?

I like the idea. It's about time we got another equivalent battle rez. With the dawn of 10 man content, sometimes we go without that crucial ability. Having even a second class with the ability is pretty great. Since priests are both dps and healing, you could sacrifice one or the other depending on which was needed most. Since the priest is sacrificed, I wouldn't call it OP, but others will surely argue.

Any way you look at it, there needs to be another battle rez class. Priests are most similar to druids, in terms of healing, so it somewhat makes sense.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bus
    So you want more healing spell than any other class, an unlimited supply of mana pretty much, three aoe heals, shields, Spirit of Redemption (the most overpowered healing talent ever) AND a "Battle Rez" for dps or a tank in raids. Not only is that a terrible idea but completely un-necessary for your class
    I disagree. Sure, this would mean another class having a BR but this one comes with a catch. I included a downside (the priest will actually die and can't be resurrected for 1 min) as well, since it would be stupid to just copy the druid ability. Also the druid doesn't have to do anything for his BR besides using a cooldown ability and spending a minor amount of mana.

IMO this ability would fit to the priest role as a devoted healer that would rather sacrifice a piece of himself instead of letting harm come to others.

Does the Weakened Spirit go on the target or the priest that cast it? What would be the cool down?
    Weakened Spirit will affected the priest that cast it. I thought about a 15-20 minute cooldown.

I find it bad.

Druids have combat rez.
    Paladins sacrifice themselves for DI, have bop / bubble.
    Shamans can reincarnate.
    Priest has spirit of redemption.

This idea just doesn't fit the priest, and the debuff for ressing is just bad. It's totally not needed.

Also, priest doesn't have unlimited mana. Maybe shadow, but holy is a huge spender.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    This idea just doesn't fit the priest, and the debuff for ressing is just bad. It's totally not needed.

Also, priest doesn't have unlimited mana. Maybe shadow, but holy is a huge spender.
    Further explanation? IMO the debuff is needed to prevent ressing the only druid in your raid who would just BR the priest which would result in = we could've gotten rid of the whole sacrifice thing in the first place, which TBH sucks and i think blizzard would agree with me.

I didn't understand your last sentence in this context at all.

This would be fricken amazing; I love it. And yes, there have been times when I'd push myself to that altruistic edge where dropping down for someone else to stand up would be the difference between a wipe and success.

And to the people pointing out Spirit of Redemption vs the others, ALL of the others are usable on demand. Spirit of Redemption is not.

I have two questions though: Would this be a Holy Talent, or would it be accessible to Discipline?

Second Question: What would the effect be on soulstones?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    I have two questions though: Would this be a Holy Talent, or would it be accessible to Discipline?

Second Question: What would the effect be on soulstones?
    I'd put it on 31 holy or higher. Sadly this would mean disc can't reach it. Didn't think about soulstones yet. I guess they would either be cancelled completely or saved until the 1 min timer runs out. Not quite sure though. Concerning i already said the debuff is needed to prevent instant ressing of that particular priest i'd have to say it will be cancelled out completely.

And yes, there have been times when I'd push myself to that altruistic edge where dropping down for someone else to stand up would be the difference between a wipe and success.
    Exactly what i'm thinking kinda often :>

This is by far the best spell suggestion ive ever read, its balanced, fits in the roll of the priest, it looks like a make-shift Battle rez with its own mechanics and cost, so it goes with the mindset of blizzard that made other classes have existing buff with a catch (say, Elemental Oath which requires you to crit VS moonkin aura). And when i play my priest and heals people i certainly would love to sacrifice myself for others to live. The cooldown and debuff prevents exploits of it, as far as i can think...
    It could be a 1min cooldown, or something more similar to "Cannot be resurrected until every member of your party or raid is out of combat"

That's a very well thought and well designed spell overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Hey

As posted in another thread (Link):

15-20 min Cooldown
    "Returns the targets spirit to the body. Using this ability will sacrifice the priest and transfer his remaning hitpoints and mana to the target. This ability does not allow the priest to return as the Spirit of Redemption and applies the Weakened Spirit effect which prevents being resurrected for 1 min."

What do you guys think about it? OP? Well balanced ability? I'd like to have it instead of the Lightwell or even Guardian Spirit.

Q&A:

Weakened Spirit -> Will affect the priest casting Power Word: Life
    Cast -> Not sure yet, i thought about 2 sec channeling
    Talent tree -> I'd go for holy 31 points or even 51 instead of GS / LW

*edit* Added rang, CD and reagent requirement.

Venara
    I think that this is a wonderful idea but i think you are putting too much neg on the spell.

how about just this:

20 min Cooldown
    Instant Cast
    "Returns the targets spirit to the body with 10% Health and Mana/Energy/Rage. Using this ability will sacrifice the priest."

-----

There's no reason for the Debuff or the can't rez for one min rule. it is a perfect addition to the healers class wipe recovery tools.

Pally - DI
    Shamans - Self Rez
    Druids - Brez
    Locks -- SS (Not a healer but is a Wipe recovery)
    Priests --- Nothing (So far)

-----

Also if the Priest has the SS then, if someone else dies pop PW:L then pop right back up. (-all buffs but whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by Bus
    Why do you hate priests so much? Are you Catholic?

Also I lol'd at you thinking Spirit of Redemption is the most overpowered talent ever. Pretty sure that award goes to CoH, and not the spell that requires you to be dead before it activates (and don't tell me 5% more spirit is OP).

15+ Year Old Account

One of the main reasons i put the negative effects on this spell was that it transfers "all remaining hitpoints and mana of the priest" to the designated target of PW:L and that it'd be a little too close to the druids BR with only the self-sacrifice on it.

I could agree with you if we'd keep the "This ability does not allow the priest to return as the Spirit of Redemption" part, though i do think that the Weakened Spirit debuff is needed to avoid exploitation.

15+ Year Old Account

I like the idea, though it closely resembles Champion from the early, early stages of BC's beta tests.

Champion gave the priest the ability to choose one person for a 24 hour duration. During that timeframe, the priest got three spells s/he could use on that person and that person alone. A battle rez, a lay on hands, and a summon. Each spell having it's own seperate cooldowns (most of which were 20-30 minutes).

I would like Blizzard to re-address Champion, and improve upon it a smidge. I'm not a big fan of the lay on hands or summon. However, I think in their place a BoP-ish effect and a teleport would be great, especially for arenas.

To the OP, however, I like the principal but agree it could use some more tweaking. People also tend to be scared off if spells are too "complex" (a.k.a. have more than 10 words of text to explain). Lol.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    To the OP, however, I like the principal but agree it could use some more tweaking. People also tend to be scared off if spells are too "complex" (a.k.a. have more than 10 words of text to explain). Lol.
    <3

Regarding the Champion issue:

I don't remember that one :/ But there was a priest ability called "Mark of Divinity" in the LK alpha. Unfortunately this one went to the paladins and is now known as Beacon of Light -.-

I like! As long as it doesn't rez immediately, but have that thing pop up saying "xxx wants to rez you", so that in case you wipe completely, you can rez after the mob resets, then it's perfect<3

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown
    I like the idea, though it closely resembles Champion from the early, early stages of BC's beta tests.

Champion gave the priest the ability to choose one person for a 24 hour duration. During that timeframe, the priest got three spells s/he could use on that person and that person alone. A battle rez, a lay on hands, and a summon. Each spell having it's own seperate cooldowns (most of which were 20-30 minutes).

I would like Blizzard to re-address Champion, and improve upon it a smidge. I'm not a big fan of the lay on hands or summon. However, I think in their place a BoP-ish effect and a teleport would be great, especially for arenas.

Tell me about it. The only way I can explain Penance to these idiots is "Arcane Missiles and Holy Shock had a baby." 8 words, or 4 if I go "Arcane Holy Shock missiles" if they play a Paladin and/or a mage. People = retarded.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Tell me about it. The only way I can explain Penance to these idiots is "Arcane Missiles and Holy Shock had a baby." 8 words, or 4 if I go "Arcane Holy Shock missiles" if they play a Paladin and/or a mage. People = retarded.
    This made my day <3

Sad thing is that you're not joking and are quite right about this -.-

15+ Year Old Account

There is no point in your post at all. I don't care if Blizzard is changing the whole buff system so several classes can provide a certain buff.

This is purely about priests having no DI, no BR, no Reincarnate, or any ability at all that works like these do. We are lacking this uniqueness, so i provided an idea to fix it. IMO the ability i came up with fits the priest concept perfectly. Sure it needs some tweaking, but it does fit.

Would you be happy if i posted that this BR is for 2 targets? This would be unique. But then again, i think you just would've posted "OP!!!". Fact is that most abilitys or mechanics already are ingame and in most cases you will recognize aspects of another ability in a new one.

Think about "Tricks of the Trade" -> "Misdirection", anyone? It's a copy of the hunter ability that has been enhanced with +15% DMG for the target. Or look at "Wild Growth". In theory it's only a copy of "Circle of Healing", just as a hot to fit the druid concept.

If you think about it a little you will come up with quite a few more of these examples. Your argument of "uniqueness" was kicked in the butt by Blizzard a long time ago. I seriously don't see any problem copying another ability to make a new one if you manage to bring the feeling of the new class into it. Since i, and others in this thread, think that i have accomplished exactly that -> problem solved.

Venara

I don't quite understand what's the point of this ability