Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Breaking the clicking habit-shadow

I am being told that I will be a better player if I stop clicking so...
    shadowpriests plz post your keybindings. I can't seem to put things where I'm comfortable.
    Whole
    US-Nathrezim Horde

Re: Breaking the clicking habit-shadow

The only thing I have that i still use clicking for is my trinket on uses.

Bindings are as follows(pre 3.0.8, I'm sure i'll make changes cause of rotation changes)
    1-VT Shft+1-PW:S
    2-DP Shft+2-(can't remember)
    3-MB Shft+3-MF
    4-SW Shft+4-VE
    5-SW:P
    (- key)-Shadowfiend
    =-Dispersion

Rotation: 1>2>3>4>5>Shft+3. . .then from there it's just refreshing spells in the order of VT>DP>MB and MF when all on CD. Just remember there is not set "rotation" to keep to, just refreshing by order of importance.

Those are pretty much the only keys that matter on a regular basis for Shadow really.

I have Mass Dispell set to key 6, but i rarely use it(pretty much only against a paly in PvP or on last boss of Nexus). Then with patch 3.0.8 coming i have got Abolish Disease on my V key so it's easy to hit with my thumb on fights like Heigan(if i'm the Dispeller/Dispeller goes down).

I have small hands, so stuff is close to my movement keys. These are the major ones:
    WASD - movement (AD set to strafe, not turn)
    3 - VT
    Shift-3 - SWP
    4 - VE
    R - Flay
    Shift-R - Plague
    Ctrl-R - Mind Sear
    F - Blast
    Shift-F - Death
    E - Shield
    Shift-E - Dispel
    Q - Binding Heal
    Shift-Q - Gheal
    Shift-MousewheelDown - Mass Dispel
    Shift-MousewheelUp - Fear

So everything bound to 3 is DoT's, F and nukes, E is stuff I use regularly in Shadowform, Q is heals that drop Shadowform. R is just Flay plus the stuff I had to bind post-3.0. I'd rebind SWP to Ctrl-R and Plague to Shift-3, since that makes more sense, but I've been doing it too long to change easily.

Q = SWP
    1 = DP
    2 = VT
    3 = VE
    4 = Dispersion
    E = Mind Flay
    Thumb button (mouse) = Mind Blast
    Ctrl + thumb button = SWD
    Ctrl + F = Shadow Fiend

I won't bother to mention others, I've 30ish keybinds but these are the dps ones.

Personally, I made prefer only to use shift modifiers in combat, so I made a smart system for it.

1: Mind Flay

2: Vampiric Embrace (DoT)
    2+Shift: Vampiric Touch (DoT)

3: Shadow Word: Pain (DoT)
    3+Shift: Devouring Plague (DoT)

4: Mind Blast (Direct Attack)
    4+Shift: Shadow Word: Death (Direct Attack)

5: Mind Sear
    6: Fade

Basicly my DoTs are grouped, and the Direct Attacks are grouped.

A note about fade since nobody mentioned it yet. Fade can be used preemptive, meaning you can pop Fade and then go mental with Mind Sear on a AoE pack, and it's impossible to pull aggro for the duration of Fade.

Also I often use it during Sartharion with 3 adds. Get the glyph and reduce it's mana cost as much as you can.

15+ Year Old Account

I move with EDSF, which is superior in all ways too WSAD:

Q - Mind Sear
    A - Powerword: Shield
    Y - Shadowword: Death
    X - Vampiric Embrace
    C - Devouring Plague
    V - Shadowword: Pain
    B - Vampiric Touch
    G - Mind Blast
    T - Mind Flay
    1 - Dispell Macro
    2 - Prayer of Mending (so I can instantly heal from shadowform and be out of it)
    3 - Psychic Scream
    W - Shadowfiend
    R - Hyperspeed Accelerator

Shift+F - Fade
    Shift+T - Dispersion
    Shift+X - Inner Fire
    Shift+A - Inner Focus
    Shift+G - Mind Control
    Shift+Q - Ground Mount
    Ctrl+Q - Flying Mount
    Ctrl+T - Healthstone

And lots of others I don't use regularly but still have bound to keys. My DK uses like 20 more
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

All mine, and my main OPie ring. I got 2 others for buffs, and a 4th for Utilities (Levitate & Ressurection mainly.)

[img width=580]http://www.twilight-wizard.net/Public/Media/keybindings.jpg[/img]

I used only use 1-6 and click whatever other spells I didn't use constantly... I managed to do decent dps with that method but I have found keybinding things makes it easier, particular with respect to assisting targets, dispelling quicker, being more aware of my environment...

I use a myraid of keybinds, because I always like to have access to all my spells at a moments notice...

Shadow Form

1 - VT
    2 - MF
    3 - MB
    4 - SW
    5 - DP
    6 - Shadow Fiend
    r - SW:P
    z - Mass Dispel
    x - Dispel
    c - VE
    f - Healthstone
    g - Levitate
    t - Fade
    v - Holy Nova
    Mouse Button 4 - PW:S
    Mouse Button 5 - Shadow Form
    Mouse Wheel Down - Silence (when i have it)
    Mouse Wheel Up - Inner Fire
    Shift+Mouse Button 4 - AoE Fear
    Shift+Space Bar - Dispersion
    Shift+1 - PoM
    Shift+2 - Renew
    Shift+3 - Flash Heal
    Shift+4 - Greater Heal
    Shift+5 - Binding Heal
    Shift+R - Prayer of Healing
    Shift+C - Mind Control
    Shift+E - Shackle
    Shift+A - Mind Sear
    Shift+D - Fear Ward
    Shift+S - (forget the name, the holy stun 10 targets spell)

Out of Shadow Form
    1 - PoM
    2 - Renew
    3 - Flash Heal
    4 - Greater Heal
    5 - Binding Heal
    r - Prayer of Healing
    Everything else the same

I use Alt+Mouse Button 5 for my mount/dismount macro
    ` is my auto run key

I do bind some occasional stuff to some G keys for specific encounters/occasions... for example I have a macro to cast DP to our guilds DK tank so he can spread that disease, but obviously only use that for specific occasions.

I think thats everythign but I may have forgotten something... hopefully they wont give priests too much more they have to bind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia

A note about fade since nobody mentioned it yet. Fade can be used preemptive, meaning you can pop Fade and then go mental with Mind Sear on a AoE pack, and it's impossible to pull aggro for the duration of Fade.

Also I often use it during Sartharion with 3 adds. Get the glyph and reduce it's mana cost as much as you can.
    Thats a good point but I dont think the fade glyph is necessary... I simply can't run out of mana and I seldom find a need to cast fade so much that I need to reduce it's cost. Also our guild has a DK tank the adds on sarth and then all the priests in the raid cast DP to his target and he spreads the disease to them all... it means there is no need to AoE them down (maybe the help of 1 class, we use a lock if req) and the priests get a ton of incomming heals coz DP is ticking on a stupid amount of targets.

I don't get how no one seams to have a targetoftarget button set. By default this is f and is the button apart from my main 6 abilities I spam most. Other than that I don't pvp and have near starcraft click speed so I only have 1-6 bound and click everything else because that is how I learned and using anything else only hinders me and is not worth the long relearning process for 0.1-0.2% dps gain in the long run.
    'u get constant hit by ice shit from roof so you can travel instantly all across the room'

Quote Originally Posted by talrob
    I don't get how no one seams to have a targetoftarget button set. By default this is f and is the button apart from my main 6 abilities I spam most. Other than that I don't pvp and have near starcraft click speed so I only have 1-6 bound and click everything else because that is how I learned and using anything else only hinders me and is not worth the long relearning process for 0.1-0.2% dps gain in the long run.
    I am sorry to say this but there is no way you can out perform a player that actualy uses KeyBindings (and i mean in global) You are alot slower on pressing the Oh shi- buttons , slower if you have to pop out of SF and do a SOS heal/shield , a fade in the rigth moment (improved sf) and a timed mass dispell. Keybinding are one of the most valuable tools a player as at is disposal i can not survive w/out them
    http://eonguild.powerguild.net/forum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Healingprick
    They should add an Diminish on Return on QQ's

15+ Year Old Account

Plus, you can't queue spells with clicking AFAIK.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by artan
    I am sorry to say this but there is no way you can out perform a player that actualy uses KeyBindings (and i mean in global) You are alot slower on pressing the Oh shi- buttons , slower if you have to pop out of SF and do a SOS heal/shield , a fade in the rigth moment (improved sf) and a timed mass dispell. Keybinding are one of the most valuable tools a player as at is disposal i can not survive w/out them
    I can click anything on my screen within a global cooldown, you cant go faster than that. Shadowform is a stance so that is already keybound anyway and I have main heals keybound. Just because YOU cannot perform well without full keybinds doesn't mean others cannot. If mass dispel is needed (its not in wrath) I have it on 7 which I can easily reach but I can't even remember using it except for nexus when people wanted achivements.

...and to the poster below what do you mean queue spells? I have quartz and /stopcasting macros.
    'u get constant hit by ice shit from roof so you can travel instantly all across the room'

15+ Year Old Account

...and to the poster below what do you mean queue spells? I have quartz and /stopcasting macros.
    I hit Vampiric Touch. Casttime starts. Before global cooldown is ready again I hit mindblast, and it will automatically be casted right after VT.

Dunno, never tried that with clicking myself, but I've read that it isn't possible with clicking.

/stopcasting has nothing to do with that, and Quartz only shows your lag/latency within the castbar AFAIK (so like, you can move 0.2 seconds before a cast ends and it still gets finished because of lag, just like when you mount).

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    I hit Vampiric Touch. Casttime starts. Before global cooldown is ready again I hit mindblast, and it will automatically be casted right after VT.

Dunno, never tried that with clicking myself, but I've read that it isn't possible with clicking.

/stopcasting has nothing to do with that, and Quartz only shows your lag/latency within the castbar AFAIK (so like, you can move 0.2 seconds before a cast ends and it still gets finished because of lag, just like when you mount).
    Ignoring my quartz/stopcasting thing to remove lag, what do you think is bound to 1-6 exactly? Wand?

15+ Year Old Account

Ignoring my quartz/stopcasting thing to remove lag, what do you think is bound to 1-6 exactly? Wand?
    How the fuck should I know? You never wrote that...

And also: How do you press 6 without moving your hand when you use WSAD (which I presume) to move?

Index finger. I can do it too.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    And also: How do you press 6 without moving your hand when you use WSAD (which I presume) to move?
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard.

Ergonomical keyboards ftw. (I play on my workstation).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard.

Ergonomical keyboards ftw. (I play on my workstation).
    I hate those keyboards with a vengeance. Always hit the wrong buttons because they aren't lined up where they are supposed to be (like the ZXCV row being shifted to the left instead of right and such stuff "ergonomic" keyboards try to do).

Then again, I am a programmer, I can play and type on a laptop keyboard without any problems

This one isn't broken in the way you describe. It's just curved.

And I find it a large advantage in my work as developer (or well, currently studying a degree in CS on top of my previous experiences).

Check it out It's very cheap as well.