Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Breaking the clicking habit-shadow

My main keybindings (1-6 + shift + ctrl) do not make much sense. They were just placed pretty random. Used to it now, so no point in changing it d:

I usually use G's for CC. Like:
    G\ Psychic Scream
    sG\ Shackle target
    cG\ Shackle focus [will make target focus if none exists]

"<" (on a danish keyboard), the button next to shift is used for dispels.
    <\ Dispel target
    s<\ Dispel self
    c<\ Abolish Disease

Got Mass Dispel on mouse5 (a button on the side of my mouse) for quicker and more logic placement.
    Ventrilo speech is bound to the mousebutton next to that (mb4)

15+ Year Old Account

http://www.microsoft.com/japan/press...yboard2000.jpg

OK this one at least doesn't have the lower row shifted to the left like some of them have. Still the middle column of keys is unusually big, and the spacebar is small as hell.
    I've typed with 10finger system for about 12 years now, all the time with run-of-the-mill keyboards, so my fingers are kinda used to the placement of the keys

Oh, and those keyboards with 2 almost-seperate keyblocks for the left and right hand are truly killing me. Because of the simple fact that I hit B with my right index finger instead of the left one (dunno why but once learned that way it's hard to unlearn), so when I once had to type on such a "broken" keyboard I would regularly hit N instead of B.

But anyway, to each his own.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by talrob
    I can click anything on my screen within a global cooldown, you cant go faster than that. Shadowform is a stance so that is already keybound anyway and I have main heals keybound. Just because YOU cannot perform well without full keybinds doesn't mean others cannot. If mass dispel is needed (its not in wrath) I have it on 7 which I can easily reach but I can't even remember using it except for nexus when people wanted achivements.

...and to the poster below what do you mean queue spells? I have quartz and /stopcasting macros.
    Well congratz on your cliking skills may they serve you well along the years , but i stand by my ground .. binds > clicks!
    http://eonguild.powerguild.net/forum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Healingprick
    They should add an Diminish on Return on QQ's

The reason the spacebar is small, is because you picked a japanese keyboard ;-)
    But I don't have a shift+6 bind, as I can't reach it that way, even that I got BIG hands.

And clickers can't abuse the spellqueue, so they fail at life.

CrisisCore

i hated moving my hands around so i remapped my key bindings to

1-wand
    2-inner focus
    3-(Mana potion of some sort)
    4-PW:S
    5-Fade
    R-Shadow Fiend
    T-Mana Burn
    F-mind blast/greater heal (its on a macro)
    G-mind flay
    C-Dispersion
    V-Mind Sear
    B-SW

and shift modifiers on
    R-SW:P
    T-Vamp Embrace
    F-Devouring Plague
    V-Vamp Touch

How do you reply to whispers if you keybound "R" ?

You don't use 'R' maybe?

CrisisCore

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    How do you reply to whispers if you keybound "R" ?
    cause when your in chat the game ignores your binds so i just /r

I was joking a bit, /r works fine, specially with chatmods But I still couldn't dream of rebinding anything that's default.

Rebinding x and z , I mean ZOMG.. how should I sit down and sheet/unsheet my weapons? Can't RP without them!

CrisisCore

yea i didn't unbind anything that i didn't move later like c (character) i moved to k (I wound up thinking of it as Karacter =P) and b (bags) is now i (inventory) it also made all my out of combat stuff closer together on the keyboard o(social) l(quest log) there all right next to each other now.

15+ Year Old Account

I was joking a bit, /r works fine, specially with chatmods But I still couldn't dream of rebinding anything that's default.

Rebinding x and z , I mean ZOMG.. how should I sit down and sheet/unsheet my weapons? Can't RP without them!
    I have J bound to replying to whispers. I have my left hand on ASDF, and when I want to type something I just put my right hand from my mouse to the JKLÖ (or whatever is on US keyboards instead of our umlauts ), hit J and type away.

I remove the interface for screenshots with Alt+J, L shows me all the nameplates, Shift+L only enemy nameplates, Ctrl+L only friendly nameplates. (.) is used for sitting, (-) for sheashing. I can't think of a single thing besides ESC that I haven't rebound in the options
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

1 - SWP
    2 - SWD
    3 - MB
    4 - flay
    5 - VT
    6 - VE
    7 and V - DP
    8 - shield (I usually click this)
    G - mass dispell
    C - normal dispell
    B - use to be mana pot back in the day
    Mouse button 3 - Seer
    Mouse button 4 - Dispersion
    Alt 5 - PoM

I click inner focus and fade. I don't have clickable trinkets atm.

A G15 works wonders, especially with macros. I have my focus, shackle, mouseover dispel, mouseover cure disease, a petattack command in case my shadowfiend tries to wander off, ect. I've got PW:S bound to the middle mouse button in case of emergencys too, along with WoTF and Psychic Scream.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by talrob
    ...and to the poster below what do you mean queue spells? I have quartz and /stopcasting macros.
    Stopcasting macros are a LOT worse than using the spell queue system. The spell queue does everything /stopcasting does, but better. Just get rid of /stopcasting and instead, when you're within .2sec of hitting red, start spamming your next spell (except for Flay).

Also, like it or not, you do play better with bindings. Spent the first 3 years on my priest clicking, then changed over to having all DPS spells keybound. The amount of attention I could pay to other stuff is incredible, since you don't have to think about where to click. It's all muscle memory. Whether or not you can click faster than you can press (I know I can) doesn't matter when the spell queue is in effect.

CrisisCore

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak
    when you're within .2sec of hitting red, start spamming your next spell (except for Flay).

Also, like it or not, you do play better with bindings. Spent the first 3 years on my priest clicking, then changed over to having all DPS spells keybound. The amount of attention I could pay to other stuff is incredible, since you don't have to think about where to click. It's all muscle memory. Whether or not you can click faster than you can press (I know I can) doesn't matter when the spell queue is in effect.
    about the flay its easy to make a nochaneling macro that makes it spamable as well

and yea i agree you may like clicking more cause your used to it but honestly its like typing if you get used to where things are you dont spend time looking at where your going and you get faster paying less attention to what your hitting leaving your mind free to pay attention to your partner not death gripping the rouge who just sapped you

Personally, I made prefer only to use shift modifiers in combat, so I made a smart system for it.

1: Mind Flay

2: Vampiric Embrace (DoT)
    2+Shift: Vampiric Touch (DoT)

3: Shadow Word: Pain (DoT)
    3+Shift: Devouring Plague (DoT)

4: Mind Blast (Direct Attack)
    4+Shift: Shadow Word: Death (Direct Attack)

5: Mind Sear
    6: Fade

Basicly my DoTs are grouped, and the Direct Attacks are grouped.
    This is pretty much exactly what i use, except instead of a shift modifier i use a +alt modifier. Makes it to where i dont have to move my hand at all. I also just started binding pretty much when wotlk came out. Target dummies are win to figure out what feels right to you.
    You dont want to jump right into a raid after just switching over to keybinding

Quote Originally Posted by CrisisCore
    about the flay its easy to make a nochaneling macro that makes it spamable as well
    Though that kind of counteracts the whole Quartz + spellqueue thing, /nochanneling forces you to wait for both client and server to recognize the cast is over.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak
    WASD - movement (AD set to strafe, not turn)
    Omfg why didnt i think of that. I wanted to bind Q and E but i always strafe..... what a good idea, thanks! xD

All of my characters use bindings on the following keys:
    Q, E R, F, C, X, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, `

5 and ` are for things I don't want to accidentally as they are the hardest to reach from my WASD keys. I have Shift and Control modifiers active so I that's 36 buttons that are available at a moment's notice.

Another solution for you guys wanting to use E and Q but need to strafe a lot is to leave A and D alone and just hold mouse 2 while you press them (this also causes you to strafe).

devouring plague ------w
    Shadow Word: Pain ----a
    Mind Blast -------------s
    Shadow Word: Death --d
    Mass Disspell ----------q
    Abolish Disease --------e
    Trinket ----------------shift-1
    Pain Suppression -------shift-s
    power infusion ---------shift-a
    Psychic scream --------shift-e
    dispell [members name]--shift-a
    dispell self -------------shift-r
    dispell focus -----------shift-q
    mana burn -------------shift-2
    mana burn focus -------shift-3
    divine hymn ------------ctrl-1
    smite ------------------shift-2
    holy fire ----------------shift-3
    greater heal ------------1
    Power Word: Shield -----2
    flash heal --------------3
    dispell ------------------4
    renew ------------------5
    Prayer of Mending -------6
    mana fiend --------------7
    Shackle -----------------8
    Mana drinks -------------=
    Mount ------------------alt-1
    Desperate prayer --------ctrl-2

theres alot more i have hot keyed, just can't remember off the top of my head........i hate having to click.