Thread: Undercutters

Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Undercutters

Seriously... how braindead are people that keep undercutting the markets by so much?

Some of the prices on my server (US-Kalecgos):
    Titansteel bars - <150g (75s 48 hour AH deposit)
    20xSaronite bars - 40g (15g 48 hour AH deposit)
    20xSaronite ore - 20g (3g 48 hour AH deposit)

20xBorean Leather - 8g (1g50s 48 hour AH deposit)
    1xArctic Fur - 40g (I forget the deposit)

It'd be nice not have to farm for 2 flipping months to get my epic flyer (skill and mount). Trying to do dailies without an epic flyer is excruciatingly slow, not to mention the constant out-flux of funds for raiding...

Re: Undercutters

Those prices are indeed cheap compared to my realm.

But you gotta realize 1 thing. Price will ultimately go down as more ppl reach lvl 80, because more ppl willl be farming these to make golds, thus selling them at AH.

As they will become more common, and they won't be more in demand, but probably the same, because those that are lvl 80 since a while won't need them anymore, so prices should go down a bit. imo. This is how every market works after all.

Supply and demand.

+ Patchnotes.

That's all.

You're upset because the price of items is dropping? It's the open market for a reason. With more people available to farm items the cheaper they get. Supply/Demand pretty simple. Just doing regular quests to get to 80 should have netted you almost 5000g so if you can't afford your mount then what did you spend your money on?

The worst are the ones who don't understand the market at all. For instance, Leg armours on sale for less than the price of their materials, effectively forcing you to make a loss if you bought the materials off AH.

Or the retards who don't check to see what price the other items are there for, e.g. Leg armours on sale 150g each, the next person puts theirs up 145g each the next, who hasn't checked prices or is just a fucking dribbling gobshite puts his up at 90g. Not only is he devaluing the armours, he is denying himself the extra money he could have had if he had just used his brain.

Why would I be jealous of someone who lost money? A closer description would be bitter. I am bitter that so many dribbling gobshites play WoW.

15+ Year Old Account

I'm a person who Undercuts.

I do this so people can enjoy a certain item while not having to pay the extra 200g. I do take into account that I'm losing money compared to the person selling.. lets say Titansteel Destroyer for 2000g. I make it and put it up for 1000g and call it done. Also to compensate for the lost gold from that sale I put up split stack items so I make more money with a 20 stack of Saronite split 4 times into respective stacks of 5.

Now if you are to complain about Undercutting. Think of the ways and strategies people use while under cutting to gain the lost money in the sell.

Or you could have just put it up at 1500g and not lost money, and made money on your Saronite bars.

Quote Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU
    Seriously... how braindead are people that keep undercutting the markets by so much?

Some of the prices on my server (US-Kalecgos):
    Titansteel bars - <150g (75s 48 hour AH deposit)
    20xSaronite bars - 40g (15g 48 hour AH deposit)
    20xSaronite ore - 20g (3g 48 hour AH deposit)

20xBorean Leather - 8g (1g50s 48 hour AH deposit)
    1xArctic Fur - 40g (I forget the deposit)

It'd be nice not have to farm for 2 flipping months to get my epic flyer (skill and mount). Trying to do dailies without an epic flyer is excruciatingly slow, not to mention the constant out-flux of funds for raiding...
    This is not a flame, but you need to take a course in economics. It will answer all your questions. The WoW market is a simplistic form of capitalism. As Glyph so eloquently put it, "Supply and Demand". If you want to make more money, then start farming something more rare.

You aren't De Beers and these aren't your diamond mines.

Quote Originally Posted by Windywoo
    Or you could have just put it up at 1500g and not lost money, and made money on your Saronite bars.
    This is a common misconception.

You're not losing gold by selling for less. You're earning less gold.

I love undercutting, smearing it in the face of those idiots who ask way too much for items and selling stuff quickly for some nice golds.

i was one of the first on my server to reach 80. i would buy ore, prospect it, cut the gems, sell them and make about triple what i bought the ore for. It was great until the prices dropped over night by half. i knew that it would happen eventually. Undercutting is part of the game. i kinda think its fun to see someone have 20 of the same item up for 30g and i put 10 up for 29.99g and once those sell i put another 10 up 1 copper below the next guy. although i did piss this one shaman off to the point of him sending me an in game mail and then filing a complaint. GM basically said "cry me a river, deal with it"

Not true. I think we've already established that I'm a prick. If I'm a prick with a prick I can't be a bitch, now, can I? But as they say, the hungry think about bread, so if you're seeing bitches everywere.... man... get laid... It'll help ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    You do know that from quests in Northrend alone, you can make like 8000G? That's not dailies, just quests.

Also, you complain that people undercut. I do it too. I work on the principle of guaranteeing a sale, rather than getting another 2% out of it.
    Yes, you guarantee a sale, but at the same time you lower EVERYONES profits. There is a reason collusion is illegal, it's because it works! If everyone stops undercutting and sells at a more or less consistent price across the board, everyone makes money. Stop the flippin undercutting and you'll make more gold!!! If everyone undercuts, the price effectively drops to a point where it's no longer worth the time to gather and everyone is stuck doing dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyph
    You're upset because the price of items is dropping? It's the open market for a reason. With more people available to farm items the cheaper they get. Supply/Demand pretty simple. Just doing regular quests to get to 80 should have netted you almost 5000g so if you can't afford your mount then what did you spend your money on?
    I'm not sure what quests you're doing that netted you that much gold... but I had nowhere near that much (in total) between 70-80, nor did I use a rested bonus or RAF to level more quickly. Throw onto that regular flying, and cold weather flying and you're down a significant chunk of change.

I don't know about you... but raiding takes a fairly significant amount of time, between the actual raiding, and the farming of mats for buff food (Great Feasts are a royal pain to farm mats for), pots (a single Runic Mana pot goes for at least 5g), elixirs/flasks (a single Flask of Endless Rage goes for at least 60g), and repair bills.

So figuring a minimum of 1 mana pot per boss fight, for a full clear of Naxx, you're talking 75g. That's 1-shotting every single boss... not too likely, so double that... 150g. A full clear (assuming you don't have Naxx on farm with full T7.25 epics) is going to take at least 6 hours so there's 180g for flasks... but again, not too likely it'll get done that fast... add on another 2 hours for good measure and it's 240g. So already for 1 week, you're talking at least 390g... not including repairs.

My other expenses have been to get gear enchanted, gemmed, etc, along with getting a few crafted pieces along the way so I wouldn't be the undergeared idiot causing wipes (in heroics). Which still adds up when you have to do it multiple times as you get new gear, even if you provide the materials, there's still the tip (no less than 10g/per).

I also only started playing for around a month before WotLK was released, so I wasn't around to stockpile mats or take advantage of the early gathering/crafting prices.

I have to agree with the sentiment that undercutting to an extreme margin is ridiculous.

On my server, at least early on (I haven't checked in a while), I was seeing Glyphs on the AH for less than they VENDOR for!!!!

That's just ridiculous. Maybe you have enough gold to take that kind of losses, but seriously? Is it really necessary to screw people who are depending on that income? I mean, really... Less than vendor?

I'm all for price cutting while making a profit, but pushing the server economy into a loss-based system is just screwy. There are enough money sinks in this game. Lets not make it worse, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bynal
    This is not a flame, but you need to take a course in economics. It will answer all your questions. The WoW market is a simplistic form of capitalism. As Glyph so eloquently put it, "Supply and Demand". If you want to make more money, then start farming something more rare.

You aren't De Beers and these aren't your diamond mines.
    I am well enough versed in economics (took the required economics courses in University) and understand supply and demand. So along with the idiot undercutters, there's the fact that there is no rarity or scarcity. Nothing is rare in WoW, and there aren't enough high level recipes that use the mats to put them in a category of high demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellikk
    i hate ppl who bitch about "under cutters" think about ppl on the other end who see you d-bags trying to make an "income" (btw its fake money). when they need to buy a gem or get mats for a raid and are spending 300g per night. undercutters are helping THEM.

to the OP find other means of farming or do something else because i have 3 epic flyers 2 of which have cold weather flying so apperently ur doing something wrong.
    If it's 'fake money' and carries no meaning, why don't you empty your banks and send it all to me? Your logic is fail.
    I am willing to bet you also had all 3 of those toons to 70 well before WotLK was released too.

Undercutters are NOT helping raiders, since the majority of the undercutting isn't happening in alch/herb... which is where the majority of the cost falls for raiding. Skinning/mining play no role in end-game raiding, except for those fresh 80s just getting into it and haven't gotten their dropped epics yet... not counting the Toughness/Master of Anatomy bonuses. Alch/herb on the other hand have a distinct advantage in that their 'products' are consumable, have a strong end-game role and they are able to craft their own products for their own use, and have no need to purchase on the AH. Again... your logic is fail.

Hmm i undercut all the time, if it cost me nothing to make something ill just charge for my time, if for instance some titansteals bars go for 250g each on my server, and its taken me 15mins tops to get ore to make, one I sell it for 100g, am i undercutting yes, should that make other people sell their stuff cheaper no, should it YES!, maybe all realms should get together and agree on prices but that wont happen cause all are out to rip people off

Quote Originally Posted by doomgiver13
    I have to agree with the sentiment that undercutting to an extreme margin is ridiculous.

On my server, at least early on (I haven't checked in a while), I was seeing Glyphs on the AH for less than they VENDOR for!!!!

That's just ridiculous. Maybe you have enough gold to take that kind of losses, but seriously? Is it really necessary to screw people who are depending on that income? I mean, really... Less than vendor?

I'm all for price cutting while making a profit, but pushing the server economy into a loss-based system is just screwy. There are enough money sinks in this game. Lets not make it worse, huh?
    Yea, you get screwed because he put them up for cheap, but say he puts up 5, then 5 other people are getting glyphs they want/need for a cheap price. Last I checked 5>1. If you think outside of the individual, you can understand why some people do things...sometimes people are actually nice and want to help others.

Quote Originally Posted by doomgiver13

If you feel that items/mats are too cheap on the AH, feel free to buy them and re-list them. If they are up for less then vendor, buy them and vendor them if it's worth your time.

And to those that claim it, the AH is not entirely like a free market economy. For mats, yes, crafted items, not so much. Sony doesn't make DVD Players so they can skill up to be able to make plasma TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Refreshment
    This is a common misconception.

You're not losing gold by selling for less. You're earning less gold.
    Not if the price he's using to undercut is less than the cost of the materials you used to make it.

If you farmed said materials, then they were technically "free", you just used your time, thus you price the final good based on what your time is worth to you.