Thread: Undercutters

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Undercutters

So this xMas season I wanted to buy myself a 50+ inch Flat Screen LCD/Plasma TV. So I started researching the different ones available from Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, Samsung etc. Based on what I wanted and the features and quality etc, I set myself on getting the Sony Bravia 52w4100. The unit was on sale for $2199.99 at Store X, at Store B it was selling for $2249.99 but includes a few DVD movies worth $300.00 (Supposedly anyway) and low and behold, I did find it at Store Y for $1999.99 and it included the Wall Mount and Installation at no extra charge PLUS free delivery.

Guess where I bought the device at?

This is AH folks, people will buy from the person putting the best deal out there. Live with it and move on. I undercut everyone, by what I believe will guarantee I get the sell. I have been selling since I was 18 years old, and at 33 I am in Marketing, which is the same thing but a lot harder these days. You do what gets your product sold. If it doesn't sale you don't make any money (gold). And in WoW your only investment is the time you put into grinding and for me thats considered fun and relaxing especially when I have to fight someone for a mine.

Just another note. Regardless of what price you sell something at, the value of gold remains relative to prices on the AH. The only time you should be worried is when you are buying stagnant priced items in wow (vendor stuff like helm/shoulder chants). Most players have their economy based on AH prices so gold value doesn't matter. It all balances out, all this is really about seems to be bragging rights on total gold amounts. As prices go down you buy stuff cheaper so you don't need to make as much on the sale of items in order to afford your purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Preliatus
    I'm a person who Undercuts.

I do this so people can enjoy a certain item while not having to pay the extra 200g. I do take into account that I'm losing money compared to the person selling.. lets say Titansteel Destroyer for 2000g. I make it and put it up for 1000g and call it done. Also to compensate for the lost gold from that sale I put up split stack items so I make more money with a 20 stack of Saronite split 4 times into respective stacks of 5.

Now if you are to complain about Undercutting. Think of the ways and strategies people use while under cutting to gain the lost money in the sell.
    God, I hate your kind. And don't even try to claim you're doing this for the benefit of the buyer when you then later in the same paragraph say that you're a splitstack-seller. Betting you're the kind who puts up enchanting dust in 500 stacks of 1 each also.

Quote Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU
    I am well enough versed in economics (took the required economics courses in University) and understand supply and demand. So along with the idiot undercutters, there's the fact that there is no rarity or scarcity. Nothing is rare in WoW, and there aren't enough high level recipes that use the mats to put them in a category of high demand.
    So why pay so much for Enchants, Pots, Gems etc as you stated in your post for raiding? You are in and have been in guilds with 50+ active players and do not use the resources of said guild?

I undercut all the time. I know for a fact yes for a FACT no one will become homeless and or die of starvation if undercut their auction.

Even doing half the dailies will handle your weekly expenses. Not to mention and loot otherwise obtained.

I cant stand the idiots that think they can jack up prices just because they think they need the money.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by cramtod
    If you feel that items/mats are too cheap on the AH, feel free to buy them and re-list them. If they are up for less then vendor, buy them and vendor them if it's worth your time.

And to those that claim it, the AH is not entirely like a free market economy. For mats, yes, crafted items, not so much. Sony doesn't make DVD Players so they can skill up to be able to make plasma TVs.
    See... it would be GREAT if I could buy and relist... the problem is I can't do it if I can't get the capital to start with... and Blizz doesn't do small business loans.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosorrow
    If you farmed said materials, then they were technically "free", you just used your time, thus you price the final good based on what your time is worth to you.
    It still makes no sense anyway. If you are selling it for less than the price of the materials you are an idiot with no business sense. Very good you made some money, but you made less money than you could have and how is that clever unless you are sure that the prices are inflated beyond belief? You wouldn't have ripped off anyone, because you are only asking someone to pay as much as they would have if they had bought the materials separately. If you can get 2x amount of money with a happy customer, why take x amount of money? Would the customer's extra happiness reflect back to you? I doubt it.

People will still buy your item first if it is only 5g cheaper, you don't need to undercut by large amounts, and even the customer is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eremiel
    God, I hate your kind. And don't even try to claim you're doing this for the benefit of the buyer when you then later in the same paragraph say that you're a splitstack-seller. Betting you're the kind who puts up enchanting dust in 500 stacks of 1 each also.
    I do undercut prices..because alot of things are over price in my opinion. I do sell for cheaper prices because I hate taking over 300gold to get 1 skill point in my enchanting up and thus I want to help others..its a win-win for me someone gets something at a reasonable price and I get a little gold...hmm all you are trying to is to justify your stinking greed which ironically caused the economic crisis in the US in sept. Yes I do live in the US.

Undercutting a bit, oke that's normal, if someone sells saronite ore for 42g a stack, i sell it for 41, and i'll sell them all in no time. But there are ppl putting stuff on AH for less than HALF of the price it normally is. Now that's rediculous.
    I whispered a guy once who put a titansteel bar on AH for 200g, normal was 400+ then. He said "quick money" so he didn't even care about having any profit at all.

The most annoying is auctions without a buyout. Titansteel bars put on AH for 1 silver! Come on, get serious.

Worst ever was with Primal Life once. It had always been between 12 and 20 gold, then all of the sudden someone put 50 stacks (!) on there for 5g. Then another came and also put like 20 stacks for 4g.

Problem there: too many stacks for a low price, which makes the overall price drop drasticly.

Quote Originally Posted by Windywoo
    It still makes no sense anyway. If you are selling it for less than the price of the materials you are an idiot with no business sense. Very good you made some money, but you made less money than you could have and how is that clever unless you are sure that the prices are inflated beyond belief? You wouldn't have ripped off anyone, because you are only asking someone to pay as much as they would have if they had bought the materials separately. If you can get 2x amount of money with a happy customer, why take x amount of money? Would the customer's extra happiness reflect back to you? I doubt it.

People will still buy your item first if it is only 5g cheaper, you don't need to undercut by large amounts, and even the customer is happy.
    Because not everyone is greedy...its also called volume of sales versus one big sale...which ironically will get you more repeat business in the long run.

Basically what Zux said. To elaborate a bit more, when I was farming for my epic flyer in BC, I farmed a lot of herbs/primals. I usually put them on AH for much cheaper because I didn't mind farming them and it garunteed a sale and that I would not be undercut. By doing this, I got a few (around 4 I think) people that wanted to "employ" me in a sense. This way, I had a garunteed demand and afterward I got a big tip from most of them thanking me for not jacking up the prices and for the help. Sometimes if you concern yourself less with greed and more about helping others/using your time wisely, it pays off big in the end.

Sorry about your luck, but I see a bigger problem. A level 70 back in TBC should have already had their epic flyer, a level 80 doesn't have a single excuse. Huge slicing undercutters piss me off also, resellers even more (preying on the professions of others and then posting on the AH at huge undercuts). You have serious issues that needs to be addressed; stop spending gold, find something to make cash, because what you are doing obviously is not working. Honestly, you do not have a reason to be crying because you don't have your epic flyer, blame yourself, not others.

I undercut because I hate crap in my bags. Someone wants to put up a stack of Titanium Bars for 900g buyout? I'll put one up for 600g. Am I a "d-bag"? Maybe, but the ore was collected during dailies in Sholazar over a few days. Who cares, you'll get the 300g back in dailies or looting or selling greens or old epics.

Quote Originally Posted by zuxia
    I do undercut prices..because alot of things are over price in my opinion. I do sell for cheaper prices because I hate taking over 300gold to get 1 skill point in my enchanting up and thus I want to help others..its a win-win for me someone gets something at a reasonable price and I get a little gold...hmm all you are trying to is to justify your stinking greed which ironically caused the economic crisis in the US in sept. Yes I do live in the US.
    rofl, Greed did indeed help the US get in the situation that it is currently in but not the sole reason.

When the DK population was in full swing, i stopped at 58, and leveled up mining from 1-300, so when i hit the outlands, i could level as i went. It only took me a day to hit 300. Once i hit lvl 80, there was only a few people in Shal Bazin. I was able to get a Epic flyer in no time flat. Mining was the clear choice for a DK to take, so now that most of them are 80, its not even worth mining unless i get up at 5am when all the kids are still asleep. SO i leveld up Engineer to 400 recently, and have been making money again hitting gas clouds. 4x Crystallized fire 1x Crystallized water come out of almost ever cloud. Because i dont have to switch search options, i can fly around and see both nodes and clouds on my mini map.

1 Pull your items out of the AH and wait until the weekend when Prices go back up.

2 Search for very cheap items that are normaly of high price and buy those out.

3 Log out

4 ???

5 Put it all in the AH on Friday night /Profit
    DOODAD_NAX_DOOR_SPIDER02

If what your farming is easy then your not doing it right. Gotta think rare when it comes to farming. Do a generic search on your ah for the most expensive things and look for the most expensive reagent that you can farm. Even it its frostweave. I save my frost weave and green items that i get. When i get about 4-5 stacks i get frostweave bolt made and then get some Crystilized life and infinite dust and make a few Moonshroud. Its almost all profite cause im Herbing and i get tons of life. Moonshround sell pretty good so i make alotta money off of this. On a good day i can make close to 1000g easy. Also timing is important. Guilds usually raid around 7 server so its important to have what ever you wanna sell on the ah at that exact point in time to get the sale. Tuesday night gems and enchanting matts sell really well cause people are getting new gear. Over the weekend sales are low just stockpile.

You could also start farming http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37659.

These go for upwards of 3k gold on my server.

It still makes no sense anyway. If you are selling it for less than the price of the materials you are an idiot with no business sense.
    So I casually fly around doing quests and dailies occasionally mining when they are within "reach" and at the end of oh lets say the week I have a stack of Saronite ore.

I check the AH and the lowest stack of ore is oh lets say is 30g. I put mine up for 20g. Go about my business and in a few days check my mail and have 20g. For almost little or no effort.

OR

I make a Saronite slicer (made up) that has no listing on the AH but cost 10 Saronite bars and list it for 20g.

I still get 20g for little or no effort. And possibly a skill up. WOOT me I could care less about all the listings for 30 and 35g.

Now that makes sense to me.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Preliatus
    I'm a person who Undercuts.

I do this so people can enjoy a certain item while not having to pay the extra 200g. I do take into account that I'm losing money compared to the person selling.. lets say Titansteel Destroyer for 2000g. I make it and put it up for 1000g and call it done.
    Its tards like this that annoy me >
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Deleted

I undercut too but unlike some others here, for more.. selfish reasons 8)
    For example inscription. When I need money or am just bored, I make 3-6 of every glyph worth over 7g and put them on the AH for 5-10g cheaper than the rest. Usually theyre sold in a day or 2 and I can collect 5k from the mail. Yes, it will lower the price but it will go back up in a week or so and meanwhile I can move to enchanting, JC or something other and do the same.