Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Total gold earned overrolls 32 signed integer and becomes negative coppers

I wasn't really first to run into this:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...09298602&sid=1
    Notice the complete lack of response in US forums.

There we go a screenshot:

Re: Total gold earned overrolls 32 signed integer and becomes negative coppers

Quote Originally Posted by Airath
    I wasn't really first to run into this:
    God forbid you post a thumbnail, right?

PS: 214,748 Gold 36 Silver and 46 Copper.

"Why is this random figure the gold cap? Because they most likely store the data in a 32 bit signed integer, which has a maximum size of 2147483647. So the actual cap could potentially be 214748 gold, 36 silver and 47 copper, or they use that last byte for something else."

>> http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/155...ed_by_a_Player

TY elitenls.

was about to post why the heck that would happen, but you cleared it up.

grats on gold cap OP! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zongo
    TY elitenls.

was about to post why the heck that would happen, but you cleared it up.

grats on gold cap OP! lol
    I really wish I had the time, energy, and desire to make so much money that the game yelled at me.

Sorry, I am quite noob about linking images here. So I had to experiment abit

Yes, I know about the gold cap. The problem is, that there is no check for this.... it just.... rolls over

Let us wait until the hardcore raid/heroic farmers have done their 300 hours of ~1.5k dps and reach 'the magic number' of damage/healing done.

I never knew there was a gold cap. Boy, I've barley put a dent in it.

I wish I could reach that gold cap in a day or two. Or maybe a couple of weeks.

I love gold. Gold can just do nothing wrong. It's so hypnotic...

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpockPinyata
    I never knew there was a gold cap. Boy, I've barley put a dent in it.

I wish I could reach that gold cap in a day or two. Or maybe a couple of weeks.

I love gold. Gold can just do nothing wrong. It's so hypnotic...
    I remember reading a paper before with a pretty awesome story.

There was a man that took all his money from his bank and bought gold for it, since apperantly the gold currency was more reliable then the real currency where he was living.

Mine is the same

Heh, I opened several tickets about this. Regular GMs of course were totally clueless why is this happening.
    One ticket was escalated... but after pending for hour with status "your ticket will be serviced soon", I got the default mail "we don't find this an issue, but you can be sure we will investigate it further... do not hesitate to contact us again..".
    Also my topic in European forums about this:
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....66636788&sid=1
    I was abit angry irl about it, therefore the the OP is a bit full of angst as well. I won't edit it for... sweet memories.

I also have a very bad feeling that hardcore raiders gonna roll over their damage and healing done. Some already are at like 500 mills. I don't have any serious reason to think that copper and damage/healing done are stored in different tables and displayed client side using different data types.

The whole achievement and statistics system has been haunted by bugs since its release.
    Can't wait for 'more casual' AH-ers and all of them raiders start to QQ en-masse about their negative stats in next few months, if Blizz won't fix this

Quote Originally Posted by Airath
    Heh, I opened several tickets about this. Regular GMs of course were totally clueless why is this happening.
    One ticket was escalated... but after pending for hour with status "your ticket will be serviced soon", I got the default mail "we don't find this an issue, but you can be sure we will investigate it further... do not hesitate to contact us again..".
    Also my topic in European forums about this:
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....66636788&sid=1
    I was abit angry irl about it, therefore the the OP is a bit full of angst as well. I won't edit it for... sweet memories.

I also have a very bad feeling that hardcore raiders gonna roll over their damage and healing done. Some already are at like 500 mills. I don't have any serious reason to think that copper and damage/healing done are stored in different tables and displayed client side using different data types.

The whole achievement and statistics system has been haunted by bugs since its release.
    Can't wait for 'more casual' AH-ers and all of them raiders start to QQ en-masse about their negative stats in next few months, if Blizz won't fix this
    Well, I'll point out first of all that Blizzard knows how much damage people will (roughly ) be doing in every fight out there, and they also know how many raids a person can run in a week. Knowing these two things, I think its highly unlikely that they would decide to store the damage and healing stats in a 32 bit signed. I would not be surprised if they stored it in a 32 bit unsigned, or even a 64 bit unsigned. Despite what people seem to think they have learned over the past few years (I mean, when the game came out, who would have thought that more than .00001% of players would even come NEAR the gold cap? 32 bit signed sure would have seemed safe to me, at least.). I think they KNOW that damage and healing numbers are going to be going very, very high, very very fast, and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to store it differently. On that note, it doesn't surprise me that they've decided to store all the information on gold in the same way (as it appears they have). I can see why it would be a little disappointing, but come on, if its THAT important to you, I'm sure you could make a mod that would calculate the wrap-around for you and display the correct number somewhere. I just honestly don't see this being that large of an issue.

You guys haven't actually lost your gold though right? Just the achivements page screwed up?

It probably is only the achievement page yes and the gold is just capped at a max to prevent that number from rolling over. I personally don't understand why they used a signed integer, if they used a different type for the amount of copper (which the client presents as g/s/c value) it could go up into a few million of gold and you'd have much higher chance someone is going to give up sooner or later or finds allot of expensive stuff you buy. The gold cap was allready reached far before tbc came out and they still didn't raise it even tho everything got allot more expensive in wotlk.

Nice screen but i find it a little bit freaky to have so much gold, i would have bought travelers mammoths and the best gear for my alts way before i got close to that. Or did you do that allready?

Quote Originally Posted by wakerofgods
    You guys haven't actually lost your gold though right? Just the achivements page screwed up?
    Yes, its just achievements page screwed up.

Its of course not a huge issue, just an annoyance.

I would not be surprised if they stored it in a 32 bit unsigned, or even a 64 bit unsigned.
    Even if they use 32 bit unsigned, its matter of ~400 hours doing ~2k dps to overroll it. That really won't last for more than year even for quite casual players.

Well, I really do hope that in DB side they actually use something like at least number(12) in the stats table(s) to store numeric values. Thats enough to make sure even the most hardcores won't fill it in next 10 years.

Fun fact tho is that they use 32 bit unsigned to display gold in auction house entries. Try posting something worth 400k gold. It won't overroll. While 500k gold worth will become ~70k. Still they use signed in displaying gold in statistics. This quite leads me to thinking that they don't have centralized type for displaying money in game. Both parts might be developed by different people, etc.

Anyway, more and more people will overroll to negative coppers earned. Lets see how Blizz acts, when the ammount of such people becomes critical.

Wow...
    That's a lot of Gold, how do you make so much?

Auctions, from what I assume his achievements showed.

Something I've always been curious about the gold cap, but never bothered to ask... The actual cap is per character, right? As in you could be capped on one character, but still have gold on another?
    Characters:
    http://pewpewboom.zer.googlepages.com/zer%27scharacter2

Quote Originally Posted by Spardok
    Auctions, from what I assume his achievements showed.
    Yeh, they did..
    :S.

Gratz I guess, but why would you need that much gold?

You wouldn't.

Technically you don't need any. It's a game.

Now, if you were to ask, "Why would you WANT that much gold," that could have a number of possible answers.

omg, the replies in your topic on the official wow-eu forums are hilarious

"omgliekwut your using vista"