Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...

Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

For your follow up question the answer is no. I'll be PvP Ret and PvE Ret spec. I just don't like tanking and yes i've actually tried tanking. Shortly after I hit 80 with my paladin I went prot, reached the def cap to become uncrittable in both heroics and raids and tanked for a few weeks.
    Engineer = Mage

Biggest possible firepower, yet they keep whining. "SPY SAPPIN' MAH SENTRY!"

Deleted

Well,I've been playing DPS warrior for about 2 years now and I think I am one of the good ones.Never been lower than top5 in dps in any raid and when needed to tank,I spec to it and have the gear for it.Sorry,but I wont waste 50g for some ppl who want to be dpsing themselves and want everyone else to be healers/tanks so that they could do heroics that we anyway have farmed like 50 times each :-X.As for DK dps that some ppl mentioned,its decent,not top notch(except for DW frost,but its nerfed now anyway)but good enough to hit top on the hands of a good player.As for the whole hybrid vs pure dps,its BS,a good rogue still does 5k dps,a good mage does even more(arcane spec 7k on bosses with less than 3min fights),BUT,a good warr or DK does same dps as well,if he/she know how to play and gives some time to research for best gear/spec/gem/enchant combos.I had a shadow priest friend who,in tbc,before patch,could do 2k dps on single target.Why shouldnt i respect him and instead be like "wtf,does moar dps than rogues,nerf"?Give some time to know your toon and you will do the numbers you should,waste more time whining about dk/warr/pala dpsing instead of tanking and keep beeing mediocre.ty for reading this. :-*

a heroic group consists of 5 ppl: 1 tank, 3 dps, 1 healer.
    that's 1-3-1
    a raidgroup consists of 25 ppl: 2-3 (3) tanks, 15-18 (18) dps, 5-7(6) healers.
    that's (roughly) 1-6-2

Basicly i'm saying if a raidgroup (25) would split up and make 5 heroic groups; they would lack tanks. Therefor it's quite obvious there are not enough tanks ingame for heroics.

that's just some numbers; some other reasons might be:

-Tanks tend to be leaders and face it; in pugs there is no coordination at all, or atleast no-one actually listening.
    -Even if everything goes perfect; a tank still has a repairbill at the end of the run; unlike others.

My 2 cents,
    Protection Paladin.

Hathra

People who cry about hybrids not speccing to heal or tank or people who cry about hybrids doing as much dps as pure classes make me laugh.

Different play styles for different people, plain and simple.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs
    So today, as I once again look for a tank for a heroic pug on my mage alt, I can't help but notice the number of Blood DKs, Fury Warriors, "dps feral" Druids and Ret Paladins.

If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons. I play a prot pally main and love tanking. After playing a T6 hunter and T6 resto sham in BC, I had to try something new, and I must say, tanking is fun.

Why don't you tank?
    tbh i do tank, but the guild wants me as dps, but sometimes i get a chance to OT naxx! with m3h 30k hp unbuffed and 45% dodge+parry

but tbh dpsing is way to boooooooooooooooring, you just stand there or run around, pressing same buttons in proper order, tanking is a bit more fun

So today, as I once again look for a tank for a heroic pug on my mage alt, I can't help but notice the number of Blood DKs, Fury Warriors, "dps feral" Druids and Ret Paladins.

If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons.
    Because I refuse to gather up, enchant and gem 2 sets of gear. Also, I can't be expected to respec to a tanking spec just to help some random guy out in heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Myaora
    Because I refuse to gather up, enchant and gem 2 sets of gear. Also, I can't be expected to respec to a tanking spec just to help some random guy out in heroics.
    I'm not asking anyone to respec for a heroic. I'm asking WHY you don't MAIN SPEC tank.

Hathra

I'm not asking anyone to respec for a heroic. I'm asking WHY you don't MAIN SPEC tank.
    Different play styles for different people. Not everyone wants to roll a pure class to dps.

Errr, I can tank just about everything short of the hardest achievement encounters in my dps spec with tank gear (blood). DK tanking is a dream if you tanked on other classes, simply because your tanking talents are in the middle of dps trees and cost very few talent points (bone shield, vamp blood, unbreakable armor, lichborne). Any dps spec is going to dip into tank talents most of the time anyway, and with the right gear, you pretty much aren't missing anything other than a little avoidance or mitigation from full blown tank specs.

I only tank when needed, mostly because I really don't like tanking. I didn't roll the dk to tank, I rolled the DK to be able to tank if I needed it (same reason people play hybrids). I already had a pally, and I didn't want to be a ret monkey.

DK's are a flavor class. There wasn't a role to fill. Wow didn't need any other classes. They're a very stylistically different class that people with skills can work in a variety of different ways. There is so much depth in DK dps and tanking, and that's why I like it.

Because they are fucking retards.
    I can get 500 badges in a week on my prot warrior / feral druid.

Try to gear my warlock? Oh snap, absolutely impossible because there's 10 death knights "DPS" in awful gear that refuse to team play.

DK tanking is essentially the same as DPS but your recount numbers are lower. So this "lol it's not fun mate" is a load of BS. Stop thinking about your epeen and you might actually gear a lot faster and spend less time in Dalaran LFG.

Give me a god damn prot spec on every class.

Why dont I tank? because I don't need to. I DPS in guild heroics and guild raids and I enjoy it.

Even if I were a tank I sure as hells wouldn't bother going into LFG...mainly because most of the people in LFG tend to be utter jackasses.

and oh yeah....because I like everyone else out there...is not playing for your benefit. Find a tank that likes to tank,find a healer that likes to heal,and group with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Myaora
    I have to ask as a hybrid player myself, how do you not end up with 2-3 sets of gear just by playing the damn game? My paladin has a full epic naxx 10/heroic quality holy set just as a byproduct of running those areas for my main spec (prot) and weekly guild raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    I have to ask as a hybrid player myself, how do you not end up with 2-3 sets of gear just by playing the damn game? My paladin has a full epic naxx 10/heroic quality holy set just as a byproduct of running those areas for my main spec (prot) and weekly guild raids.
    "OMG why cant you be so awesome like me? I am awesome!"
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyDevil
    So now the Norse are stealing ideas from Blizzard, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Muxxon
    "OMG why cant you be so awesome like me? I am awesome!"
    Not so much that as the fact that Myaora prefers to sell epics for his offspec to the pie vendor in Dalaran for 7g a pop instead.

Because a guild needs 3 tank and 20 dps. Simple
    They told me that they need a dps, so i'm dps specced and until dual spec i won't spend 100g a day for one heroic.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by sixlocal
    I have a DK and here's why:

1. DK tanking is awkward.
    2. I can instead be top dps of the group.

tanking as death knight is simple. coz all you have to do is equip tanking gear, switch to frost presence, and dps all the mobss around you..

it cant possiply be easier..

and its completely the same i'd do, if i was dpsing.. exept occationally, pop IBF.. dont use that when soloing

dps classes (who belive they can tank, but suck at it), should all reroll tank dk's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nioxic
    tanking as death knight is simple. coz all you have to do is equip tanking gear, switch to frost presence, and dps all the mobss around you..

it cant possiply be easier..

and its completely the same i'd do, if i was dpsing.. exept occationally, pop IBF.. dont use that when soloing

dps classes (who belive they can tank, but suck at it), should all reroll tank dk's.
    A little gear is required though, because by not speccing for it you miss out on at least 15% avoidance and a nice armor increase.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by frankster
    because they'd rather you do all the hard work on your prot pala, then ninja the tank loot off you for "offspec".
    I lol'd, but ye it is true..
    But hey, in the end.. it is more "tanks" out there then it was and would had been w/o the class =)
    Once you go troll, you'll never reroll.
    To bad I'm an undead! ~ Tøffelladden

The main reason I dont tank is because it's way too gear dependant. You can take a fresh lvl 80 in quest/dungeon blues and dps in a raid, but you can't take a tank in quest/dungeon blues and expect to raid.

Dual specs will make this easier but ultimately it's just going to make the loot hungry people even hungrier.