Thread: Arcane Mages

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Arcane Mages

Is Missile Barrage worth taking and/or should I go down and get Icy Veins?

Thx

Re: Arcane Mages

Talking pvp or pve? Well for both yes it is good. Take it.

Are you going for arcane/frost pvp? If so take icy veins and the glyph it rocks! There has been a lot of talk about arcane/frost speck in pvp and how it can be better than arcane/fire.

It all depends on your playing style...

If you have a frost mage friend then arcane/frost is a beast as many enemies will get frozen and you can actually get a frostbolt off for some huge crits! (Bigger than pyro. Do the math).

Ps: I like typos they are my thing (I get some good kicks out from them! Now don't you judge!)
    Fool me once... SHAME ON YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuninas
    Talking pvp or pve? Well for both yes it is good. Take it.

Are you going for arcane/frost pvp? If so take icy veins and the glyph it rocks! There has been a lot of talk about arcane/frost speck in pvp and how it can be better than arcane/fire.

It all depends on your playing style...

If you have a frost mage friend then arcane/frost is a beast as many enemies will get frozen and you can actually get a frostbolt off for some huge crits! (Bigger than pyro. Do the math).

Ps: I like typos they are my thing (I get some good kicks out from them! Now don't you judge!)
    Frostbolt can never crit more than pyro. Cos when pyro crit, u have igniate after. And it is +40%on that damage, so u do the math ;D
    But i am not saying that arcane/frost is wrong.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostmane&n=Darkk%C3%AEller
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Chromaggus&n=Darkkillerrs

Missile Barrage on pvp is a risk. It does a lot of damage in a short amount of time (it's our highest dps spell) but it also leaves you open to having arcane locked out. A careful arcane mage will never cast if there's a risk they might get locked out.

My apologies. I forgot to state the type. It will be a PvE spec.

If it is for pve, then yes, if you are going arc/frost, then both of those talents are must-haves. Arcane barrage will be up there with arc blast for your largest nuke, and if you are going into frost, then icy veins is a huge dps increase.

15+ Year Old Account

Missile Barrage is good for both PVE and PVP. You just have to be more carefull. I've crit with all five charges for 2k damage, for a total of 10k damage (With Slow and Torment of the Weak). And that in just 2.5 seconds.
    Statix will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture
    Missile Barrage on pvp is a risk. It does a lot of damage in a short amount of time (it's our highest dps spell) but it also leaves you open to having arcane locked out. A careful arcane mage will never cast if there's a risk they might get locked out.
    arcane blast is a 2.5 sec cast
    with a proc arcane missle is a 2.5 sec cast

pvp or pve get missile barrage its a huge dps boost. a five second missile is a pvp risk but the proc is no longer than any other spell you use...

Can I add a question to this? I'm wondering about going arcane with 3.0.8. Is arcane going to be as gear-dependent as ffb? By that I mean that I'm still running 80 instances and some heroics trying to gear, and I'm frost. I was running with an ffb mage, and his dps was trash because he didn't have the gear for it, he just simply did not have the crit rating to be able to make ffb worth it. Is arcane going to be similar? Or can I expect a dps boost by respeccing regardless? Currently I'm low crit/high haste (Naturally, I'm frost...) so I sort of see that translating well to arcane.

All input welcome! Don't forget to flame!

(edited, typo)

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture

I agree with this in terms of PvP. For BG's and lower brackets you should be fine. You will occasionally run into the Mage able to CS it but not frequent, but if you play higher brackets you'll get locked out if you try, at the least interupted.

Quote Originally Posted by KDirtMcGirt
    Can I add a question to this? I'm wondering about going arcane with 3.0.8. Is arcane going to be as gear-dependent as ffb? By that I mean that I'm still running 80 instances and some heroics trying to gear, and I'm frost. I was running with an ffb mage, and his dps was trash because he didn't have the gear for it, he just simply did not have the crit rating to be able to make ffb worth it. Is arcane going to be similar? Or can I expect a dps boost by respeccing regardless? Currently I'm low crit/high haste (Naturally, I'm frost...) so I sort of see that translating well to arcane.

All input welcome! Don't forget to flame!

(edited, typo)
    Regarding the low crit/high haste, then you would be better of speccing arcane than FFB. Since arcane is scaling better with haste than crit.

Heres a little link to wowhead where you can look at the gear that should aiming for hit rating, as it's the best dps boost you can get, and then sorted in what arcane is getting most benefit from.

http://www.wowhead.com/?items&filter....68:0.46#chest

As the numbers tells you, then int is better than, haste rating. But not again, you haft to have some crit and haste on your gear as well. But those numbers should give you a hint, for what to look for when you gear up.
    So keep in mind that you gets more from actually spellpower than crit when speccing arcane.
    But haste isn't the way to heaven. Remeber that you can get too much haste, and there for doesn't get any thing out of it. Remember that the best GCD you can have on all you spells is 0.5 sec, and what I recall then it's 1 sec casting time on spells, but I'm not sure so please someone flame/confirm me.

So imo, you would deffently get more out of speccing arcane with low ilvl gear, than speccing FFB with low ilvl gear. Keep in mind to get items for the spec YOU! wanna play, and not what's the best spec. Play the way you like, and not the way you are told.

---
    Fanatic <3 Arcane

lower gcd without special talents / glyph will be 1sec too
    *French guy inside*
    *please forgive my poor english*

Personally I get more out of Arcane with spellpower and crit than I do with haste but each to their own I guess!

An Arcane lover from the start, I've struggled to find a viable raiding spec that wasn't FFB. However, I recently specced Arcane with Icy Veins/Imp Blizzard and Precision and I have seen a huge boost to my DPS, even averaging 2600 DPS in Naxx on my last raid. I was very pleased with that, mostly because it showed the other mages that FFB isn't so big and clever after all ;-)

Ford I was kind of pondering the same thing. What does your talent build look like if you dont mind me asking?

i agree, i have been a ffb raider since the beginning of wotlk, but with 3.0.8 i speced over to arcane. I went from 3.5k dps in naxx to over 4k. the arcane rotation is a bit more amorphous and easier to adapt to movement situations. with the new glyph of arcane blast, i would go so far as to say 57/3/11 (my spec) would be able to compete with the cookie cutter 0/53/18 ffb spec.

I was pulling 3.1k dps in mediocre gear as 56/3/12 last night in naxx10 with minimal buffs (improved spirit, spriest, ebon plague, scorch from FFB mage). Mana consumption is HUGE but manageable. Evocate before your next round of AP/Icy Veins, pop mana gem (for spellpower) and any trinkets and go to town. Use a moderate rotation when mana starts getting low (1-2xAB, Abarr/AM). I think the biggest problem people will have is restraining themselves from casting a 3rd Arcane Blast and sucking up all their mana right away.

http://armorylite.com/us/arthas/ysheara

arcane is the best spec atm...beats ffb x1000. other day i crit for 16k in 10 man os.

Sarth w/drake
    http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...109_202209.jpg

totally agree arcane is the best single target spec right now and I enjoy it abit more than ffb in that you actually have abit more to do to manage mana compared to ffb spam. I was ffb before 3.0.8 and max patchwerk was 6134 dps, as you can see I've gained abit even though I'm still geared for ffb spec more than arcane.

http://wowwebstats.com/d4zetwmzstdik

Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

Quote Originally Posted by Topcraft
    Y? Do you want to buy your food again from vendor and travel without teleport/portal? Dumbass!