Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pugging as Discipline healer?

Anyone find it more difficult to get into a pug group as a discipline spec'd healer? I've tried it and normally when someone in the group inspects me the just go 'But you're not holy!' quickly followed by a group kick with an apology that they wanted a healer and not a dps priest and wont believe me when I say that discipline can heal as well. Ok, this isn't all the time - but it's happened a few times and is a bit annoying when it does.

Re: Pugging as Discipline healer?

Some people are just stupid, nothing you can do about it. I PuG on my disc priest although I have never run into this particular situation before. My guess is it's probably a good thing they booted you out of the group because you wouldn't want to roll with them anyway.

Usually they are players new to mechanincs of WotLK so they dont know how fine 5man healer disc is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jykenski
    Usually they are players new to mechanincs of WotLK so they dont know how fine 5man healer disc is now.
    Ah yeah he makes a good point. I shouldn't rush to call them idiots. Maybe just new to the game, and unaware priests have two very good healing specs now. On a completely random note, penance is so fun, awesome spell.

With things pre-patch, it was basically 1 discipline priest per raid (depending on if the leader understands disc healing). Having to constantly educate raid leaders on how disc works does get annoying. I've only come across not being accepted into a pug a couple times, or I will just leave group if I notice any slight hesitation from the leader about me being discipline before we start (Its not worth my time explaining anymore).

My suggestion, join a raiding guild that understands discipline healing, and are not close minded idiots.

I don't think the patch will change that much, it might change the amount of disc priests, and raid leaders maybe allowing 2 disc priests per raid. But I doubt that, cause disc priests talents do not stack together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jykenski
    I find most pug disc priests don't realize why most tanks hate them. As DK I love disc priests because it makes my Bone Shield even more overpowered than it already is (was).
    However, as feral, I often don't generate enough rage to keep swipe up due to never being hit (having to use enrage every cooldown and spamming /cancelaura macros to get rid off the pesky shields...). You may be decent tank-healers on the hard-hitting stuff or tanks with poor gear, but for heroics the disc talents (absorb/shield) are a disadvantage. I totally understand why some people would reject you.

Quote Originally Posted by halmmar
    I find most pug disc priests don't realize why most tanks hate them. As DK I love disc priests because it makes my Bone Shield even more overpowered than it already is (was).
    However, as feral, I often don't generate enough rage to keep swipe up due to never being hit (having to use enrage every cooldown and spamming /cancelaura macros to get rid off the pesky shields...). You may be decent tank-healers on the hard-hitting stuff or tanks with poor gear, but for heroics the disc talents (absorb/shield) are a disadvantage. I totally understand why some people would reject you.
    All you have to do is ask your disc priest to hold off on the shields....I myself don't use shield on warriors or druids unless it's an emergency situation, where I can really use the damage absorbtion and spell haste as I charge up a nice greater heal to bring you up. Some disc priests just don't realize that it can put a strain on rage generation, but sitting there and just getting rid of it everytime it's cast, then ridiculing disc priests for it afterwards, isn't going to help anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory12
    All you have to do is ask your disc priest to hold off on the shields....I myself don't use shield on warriors or druids unless it's an emergency situation, where I can really use the damage absorbtion and spell haste as I charge up a nice greater heal to bring you up. Some disc priests just don't realize that it can put a strain on rage generation, but sitting there and just getting rid of it everytime it's cast, then ridiculing disc priests for it afterwards, isn't going to help anyone.
    Problem is 66% of the server are polish and don't understand more than a few words of English. PUGs for me means people with whom you have no means of communication.
    Disc priests aren't bad - hell, even shadow priests can heal heroics without any problems. But given a choice, I'd take any of the 4 other healers for a PUG heroic.

Problem is 66% of the server are polish and don't understand more than a few words of English. PUGs for me means people with whom you have no means of communication.
    Disc priests aren't bad - hell, even shadow priests can heal heroics without any problems. But given a choice, I'd take any of the 4 other healers for a PUG heroic.
    Ahhhh, well that explains it. haha I guess if you look at heroic healing between all the 5 healing specs, disc priests probably are at the bottom, but only very slightly.

If you have problems with rage generation then click off the buff of the bubble. I have healed many a druid and warrior and rarely get comments about not having rage. Don't forget the tanks "abilities" are counted on before the damage is mitigated - ie the attack is dodged before it uses shield, so if you have a druid with high dodge they will still get heaps of rage even if bubbled and has a good spec.

Disc priest and crap tanks do badly together

I was disc for quite a while while my guild was looking to get sorted for 25man Naxx and running with some slightly marginal tanks (15hr naxx clear with a Feral druid and Warr in way too many Blues >.<) but most of the Heroics with the same guys I never saw rage gen problems and yes I was using a sheild whenever it was up.

maybe just sitting there and just using swipe isn't that good an idea. perhaps if the tank has good gear and high dodge then this removes the need for a bubble. Dunno what the tank should do really - but as someone who makes a habit of playing badly I'm pretty sure it's not a priest problem...

Disc is a great spec and will do the job pretty much anywhere. But I guess healers are so common it's easy to pick and choose right?

15+ Year Old Account

personally i dont like the way disc priests heal. had bad experience with them in 5mans. afaik disc priest are single target healers with mitigation spells(correct me if im wrong) and since im a retri who uses SoB (lots of dmg to myself) it sux when i have to heal myself alot.

I can just imagine what pug healing as disc would be like...

"ZOMG WTF PRESS COH NOOB!"

On my server I'm lucky. Priests are about as common as Balance durids in Vanilla.

I've had several groups grumble at me for being Disc, to which I have simply smiled and asked if they'd like to wait 6 hours for another healer. By the end of the run they're normally sufficiently educated to not question Disc again. Amazing how many whispers I now get from people in those groups asking me to heal heroics.

As an aside, is it me or have casters actually forgotten PI exists. In the last week I've had 4 seperate mages ask who gave them the buff, and 1 mage that was bragging about spellstealing it from a melee mob. If it wasn't true it would be funny.

I want a big sign that says 'Yes, I do have group heals' as long as people aren't doing heroics with 9k HP then PoM + Glyphed PoH hasn't let me down yet.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Most people don't tend to think (on my server) that Disc is dps. Instead they think I'm trying to PvE with a PvP build and go "we want pve healz thts holy thnx". Annoying as hell? Seriously.

And to the druid who's spamming cancel-aura on shield, they should have (if they didn't in 3.0) fixed that by now where being hit (not taking damage) grants rage. I.e. absorb doesn't rage-gimp you. Even still, get more crit (5 rage) and more dodge (3 rage) and take the bubbles either way.

Edit: Also, come to think of it, alot of the PuGs I've been with don't even realize or understand what a Discipline priest is, all they see is me shooting "holy lazorbeems" and still casting flash heal, and the mage asks me "how come on my priest I don't have that spell"... no joke.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Wardley
    Anyone find it more difficult to get into a pug group as a discipline spec'd healer? I've tried it and normally when someone in the group inspects me the just go 'But you're not holy!' quickly followed by a group kick with an apology that they wanted a healer and not a dps priest and wont believe me when I say that discipline can heal as well. Ok, this isn't all the time - but it's happened a few times and is a bit annoying when it does.
    No, never. But usually my Twilight Vanquisher title, and full epic gearing make up for it.
    Ofcource, if you're wearing PvP gear then I could understand them

My main spec is shadow, and when I'm healing as Disciplin it's because I'm bored while being PvP specced. PvE disc would heal even better.

But yeah, Holy is fun... pressing 1-2 buttons, while chatting on IRC.

since when did pug 5 man groups become such serious business that you don't take a tank because they're not prot or a healer because they are shadow or balance instead of resto or holy/disc? I've played a warrior and a priest and I have never had anyone refuse to run with me due to my build. Assuming you know what you're doing I see no reason a disc or shadow priest would be inferior to a holy priest. Heals are heals no ifs ands or buts about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeflomein
    since when did pug 5 man groups become such serious business that you don't take a tank because they're not prot or a healer because they are shadow or balance instead of resto or holy/disc? I've played a warrior and a priest and I have never had anyone refuse to run with me due to my build. Assuming you know what you're doing I see no reason a disc or shadow priest would be inferior to a holy priest. Heals are heals no ifs ands or buts about it.
    Disc can handle some things just as well (if not better) than a Holy priest too, don't lump it in with shadow :P
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Healing is perfectly doable as shadow in 5man, since regen doesn't matter.

Almost all my healing is PoM,Shield,Renew spam anyway. Even if I have CoH -- no wait, scrap that, I got 99% overhealing on CoH because I press it for fun , when it was instant, that is.

I didn't mean anything by lumping it in with shadow I was just saying either can effectively heal 5 mans, like I said I've played a priest and I had no problems whatsoever with healing as shadow as well as my raid build which was mostly disc back before they changed PI.