Priest DPS need help please

Hi all, I've been watching the forum here for a while.
    A friend of mine has just hit 80 with her priest and is unsure about her DPS, she is currently only getting around 700 - 800 dps, She knows that some of her talents are out of place and I am giving her as much advise as I can but I don't play a priest.
    If anyone give me some advise to pass on to her about specs, gear, rotation, even enchancts the help would be very much apreciated.
    Her armory page is

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Caronianie

How much of a difference will the group buffs she will get, make to her dps?
    Thanks all for any help I can get.

Re: Priest DPS need help please

If she really wants to max her DPS PvE, I suggest the following spec

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcb0hZZGcfVRfzciqfzAo

She shouldn't need imp PW:S if she's going full PvE - and she definately needs to start doing some heroics - getting revered/exalted with some factions and buying some gear... those greens aren't doing well.

I think that'd be a good start - my rotation is normally

VT, DP, SW:P, Mind Blast, Mind Flay, Mind Flay, Mind Blast, VT, ...

Be creative, keep all your dots up, keep replenishment up, and do lots of DMG

Kthx

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsites
    VE, DP, SW:P, Mind Blast, Mind Flay, Mind Flay, Mind Blast, VE, ...
    very bad rotation, vt? shadow weaving is not stacked to 5 before sw. but the build you posted was ok except shadow affinity isn't really needed...

yeah thats actually what I meant.. my bad.. i'm sitting here frustrated and surfing fast cuz the patch is frustrating me atm with world server going down

You are correct

in another thread we came up with:

mb - sw:d - vt - ve - dp - mb - sw

being a very optimal rotation...

TY for the input so far guys it is much appreciated, what sort of DPS should she be looking for before she goes into heroics? with without buffs?

Quote Originally Posted by pyromatic
    TY for the input so far guys it is much appreciated, what sort of DPS should she be looking for before she goes into heroics? with without buffs?
    that's hard to tell not knowing gear. spriests can do 5k dps in raids with heroic lvl gear. try to have her shoot for the heroics min like other classes doing at least 1.5k dps. thats a good starting point with quest greens and blues. dps can kind of lag if your group can cover the slack for her until she gets better gear...

KK Thanks for that, i'm guessing INT is her primary stat, but what else should she look for? thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by pyromatic
    KK Thanks for that, i'm guessing INT is her primary stat, but what else should she look for? thanks again
    Priest_14_0_57
    hit_rating=1.57
    spell_power=1.28
    crit_rating=0.83
    haste_rating=0.55
    spirit=0.26
    intellect=0.25

Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing30
    in another thread we came up with:

mb - sw:d - vt - ve - dp - mb - sw

being a very optimal rotation...
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this only looks worth while for a boss fight, other wise putting sw on a mob that late would serve little purpose since the mob would be dead or close to dead already. If it was meant for boss fights you should say so other wise you might be confusing the poster alot.
    Personnally the rotation I use for single targets is;
    VT, SW:P, DP, VE, MB, MF, MF, MB, VT
    When fighting a group of 3-5 mobs I VT and SW:P a few mobs then start using Mind Sear. Currently my priest is only 75 but I do around 700-900 dps when soloing and in groups in instances I had been getting about the same but always closer to 900, but now that I have mind sear my dps has gone over 1200 in a instance group. My spellpower is about 1060 with innerfire and around 12% crit. I think if the poster suggested to their friend to work on their crit more instead of so much haste and intell it might help alot even in their current lvl of gear. Only having 6% crit isn't good at all now that mind flay can crit and mind sear also is great if you crit alot. Once your regen is of a certain amount you really don't need much intell cause you will never use it all up. My mana pool already rarely ever gets below half way and I never need to drink, whether soloing or in a group.
    Heres a link to my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...alyon&n=Parina

Quote Originally Posted by Vimpster
    VT, SW:P, DP, VE, MB, MF, MF, MB, VT
    putting sw that late is the point. you always want to get 5 stacks of shadow weaving before casting sw to do optimal dps. trash mobs > 2 you should use "my" rotation and mind sear instead of mf. sure if its not an instance i cast vt, mb, sw or dp and wand the rest down. but 90% of the time i stick to that rotation...

your cast time:
    vt cast + 1.5 gcd + sw + 1.5 gcd + dp + 1.5 gcd + ve + 1.5 gcd + mb 1.5 cast + 1.5 gcd + mf 3 cast + 1.5 gcd + mf 3 cast + 1.5 gcd + mb 1.5 cast + 1.5 gcd + vt cast 1.5 = 22.5 seconds

mine:
    mb cast + 1.5 gcd + sw:d + 1.5 gcd + vt cast 1.5 + 1.5 gcd + ve + 1.5 gcd + dp + 1.5 gcd + mb cast 1.5 + sw = 10.5 seconds

I still don't get it, how is waiting to put sw on a mob that is just about dead gonna optimalize your dps? That means perhaps one mazimised tick as oppose to multiple un-optimised ticks.
    And I'm not sure what you were trying to illustrate with the timing of the rotations either. But I did notice your timings are off. I'm pretty sure globalcooldowns are 1 second, but for human error being included perhaps 1.5 is more accurate anyways, but you were also adding up the global cooldown in cases where you would have no reason to wait for a global cooldown. For example after casting VT or MB or MF you don't need to wait for a GC because its already done with by the time you finnish the cast of those spells. The GC starts the moment you click on the spell, not after it finnishes casting so you only need to wait for GC on instant cast spells.

I still don't get it, how is waiting to put sw on a mob that is just about dead gonna optimalize your dps? That means perhaps one mazimised tick as oppose to multiple un-optimised ticks.
    And I'm not sure what you were trying to illustrate with the timing of the rotations either. But I did notice your timings are off. I'm pretty sure globalcooldowns are 1 second, but for human error being included perhaps 1.5 is more accurate anyways, but you were also adding up the global cooldown in cases where you would have no reason to wait for a global cooldown. For example after casting VT or MB or MF you don't need to wait for a GC because its already done with by the time you finnish the cast of those spells. The GC starts the moment you click on the spell, not after it finnishes casting so you only need to wait for GC on instant cast spells.
    ok let me break it down. your still thinking as though your lvling fighting same lvl or lower mobs with 5k hp. like i said if its not a raid/instance/a mb takes it down to 50% health i do "vt, mb, sw or dp and wand the rest down" everything else i use "my rotation". which means that if the full sw is ticking away stack up 5 weaving before you cast it. about the time, i was doing that to make a point and did that to be "funny"/that your alternative rotation is so bloated.

ps - the gcd is 1.5s with a ton of haste it can go down to as low as 1 sec.

Ok, i sometimes have the same problems too. Mainly on there are 3 other spriests in my guild and they all get 2500dps and up easy with no AOE. sometimes I can hit 2k but i began wondering about my rotations and such. I raided with an spriests with t5 while i was in t6 and my dps was lacking compared to theirs. Never found out why. Just thought blizzard maybe had a randomized generator on the dps multiplier in the source code for each individual player and mine was low. Obviously this not being the case I still wonder. I liked your idea of using MB first then SW and then starting with the rotation. I will try that also. But I still agree with the original rotation of VT>SW:P>DP>MB>SW>MF>MF repeat. VE if you need it but w/e. Obviously sometimes this is useless on trash pulls sometimes because of the time it takes to DOT the target is usually almost dead.

Main point here for spriests and any other class that is having problems knowing what gear to go for. Download an addon called Atlas Loot to look up gear drops from what boss and use MAXDPS.com Seems to help me figure out what gear i need to look into.

My spriest:
    wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=The+Underbog&n=Omgz

Some quick notes on the gear choices:

Spriests should never actively pursue pieces with Mp5, or even take pieces with Mp5 on them. At best, it's wasted itemization. Spirit will provide similar/superior mana returns while increasing DPS through Twisted Faith. Your friend's first goal should be to achieve hit cap against raid bosses (assuming her goal is to do Naxx/Sarth/Maly). Factoring in Misery and talents, this is 289 hit rating. After that, increase spell power as much as possible while attaining good levels of haste and crit (they're roughly similar according to theorycrafting, and the jury seems to suggest that a good balance of both is best).

The spec should change. Move the points from Imp PW: S into Meditation. Trade Blackout points to Spirit Tap and Imp Spirit Tap. The point in Imp Psychic Scream is useless; with the three points to move around, you can pick up Veiled Shadows and Inner Focus.

On general trash mobs, you have some options. On pulls of three or more mobs, I generally just Mind Sear until one dies, then switch to single target DPS. If you have an Unholy DK, lay down Devouring Plague before starting Mind Sear spam. On a fast dying single target mob, I try to get off SW: P, VT and MB (after all, you're there for Replenishment; do your job). If the mob dies before that, then your DPS for that mob was going to suck anyways.

Boss mobs, make sure you have five stacks of Shadow Weaving before applying SW: P; neglecting this loses a significant portion of DPS. Mind Flay is now applying two stacks of Shadow Weaving, so my new opening rotation will probably be DP -> VT -> MF -> MB -> SW: P. You can Inner Focus your opening MB for some extra potential DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing30
    about the time, i was doing that to make a point and did that to be "funny"/that your alternative rotation is so bloated.
    Ok well assuming it is 1.5 that would put mine at 14 seconds and yours at 9 seconds, but that still dosn't make any sense to show that since a rotation isn't over till a mob is dead inless you really do start back at the beggining of your rotation and start repeating it over again in which case for you you would be sitting doing nothing waiting for the cooldown on MB to be over. In other words, how can my rotation be bloated? I do agree though that if the mob is gonna take a while to kill then getting Shadow Weaving stacked 5 times would be a good idea before applying sw.

Thank you to all for the info, it should help out a lot.

Ok well assuming it is 1.5 that would put mine at 14 seconds and yours at 9 seconds, but that still dosn't make any sense to show that since a rotation isn't over till a mob is dead inless you really do start back at the beggining of your rotation and start repeating it over again in which case for you you would be sitting doing nothing waiting for the cooldown on MB to be over. In other words, how can my rotation be bloated? I do agree though that if the mob is gonna take a while to kill then getting Shadow Weaving stacked 5 times would be a good idea before applying sw.
    i don't know how else to explain it to you. if your casting "VT, SW:P, DP, VE, MB, MF, MF, MB, VT" instead of what i have been saying "vt, mb, sw or dp and wand the rest down" your wasting mana on easy to kill targets. for everything else use mb - sw:d - vt - ve - dp - mb - sw. then the fallowing

"After you have gotten all your dots on play as follows:
    1 Refresh VT as priority number 1
    2 Refresh Devouring Plague as priority number 2
    3 Mindblast if 1 and 2 are done
    4 Mindflay is 1, 2 are done and Mindblast is on cool-down
    5 Shadow Word Death iff you need to refresh a dot in ~2 seconds and mindblast is on cooldown. Shadow Word Death is almost never worth using except when opening, since it causes two shadow vulnerabilities when building up your stack."

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t37074-s..._specs_glyphs/

I just dont get it why so many ppl still puts 3points on shadow affinity while its totally useless. Agroreduce you get from shadowform is more than enough in every instance there is in game atm. If you cant live without affinity then theres something wrong bigtime on your tanks skills to get agro.

Put those 3 points from affinity for examble to inner focus and imp ve which both give you alot more in pve/solo than useless affinity

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZZG0fVRfzfiqfzAo

Quote Originally Posted by Mahtitytsy
    I just dont get it why so many ppl still puts 3points on shadow affinity while its totally useless. Agroreduce you get from shadowform is more than enough in every instance there is in game atm. If you cant live without affinity then theres something wrong bigtime on your tanks skills to get agro.

Put those 3 points from affinity for examble to inner focus and imp ve which both give you alot more in pve/solo than useless affinity

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZZG0fVRfzfiqfzAo
    Thats pretty much the build i'm going to show her, in fact that is the build i'm going to show her, thanks for that.
    Any idea's on some enchants/glyphs? Also, as the guild we're in is kinda not helpful at all for going through instances with anyone but the key members, is there any gear that anyone could suggest to buy off the AH, or anything like that? Once again thanks everyone for your help it is very much appreciated